Couch to 5K

Options
2»

Replies

• mikehorn91
    mikehorn91 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been doing couch to 5k for a while now and I really enjoy it. I'm on week 4 right now, and I weigh 330 lbs. You can jog no matter what the size!

My advice is get good running shoes, the tennis shoes in the closet won't cut it after a while. Also, if you can barely make it through a week, feel free to do the week over again. I had to repeat week 2 and 3 twice before moving on. You'll just know as you feel and complete the run. Also, run slow. Speed will come later, you should never be so out of breath you couldn't carry a mild conversation. Make sure to stretch before and after, warm up and cool down with a walk, and have fun. I started out on a treadmill, got bored, started on my college track, and enjoyed that way better. If I'm feeling randy I'll jog somewhere new the change the pace of the things. I wouldn't rely solely on a treadmill however anyway, but it was great for getting me started.

Keep us updated on your progress, I'm curious as how others do on the program as well.
  • LimitedRange
    Options
    As somebody who has completed the C25K app, and moved on to just running period it's very doable. You just have to stick with it. Some of the interval weeks I thought were crazy, but I didn't give up. I only did a few of the intervals via treadmill as they are a pain to slow down and speed up. (Treadmill is a softer surface to run on though.) I ran outside for most of my days. If you decide to run outside as I did, and find it tough to keep going sometimes set tiny goals and keep going. Like for example I'm gonna run to this black mailbox, once your there keep going to light pole down the street etc. etc. Little things like this will help you break down the running interval time, and before you know it it's walk interval.

Get some running shoes based on your running gait analysis. This will help a lot.

Good luck!
  • rrgrove
    rrgrove Posts: 73
    Options
    stretch before and after
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just started it - finished day 2 a few minutes ago. I would say STRETCH!! I am prone to shin splints and have a wonky ankle, which I have used for excuses to quit several times before. This time I'm using these stretches:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

doing 1,2,3,5,7, and 12 and no shin splints to speak of. My 'run' is only 4.5 mph but I'm off my butt and tonight was a little easier than Saturday. It feels a little silly to stretch for almost as long as I work out, but I'm not in pain and (kind of) looking forward to hitting the treadmill Wednesday.

If you have problems with shin splints you should also try trigger point massage...my husband had nearly crippling shin splints until he discovered trigger point massage and now he's unstoppable!
  • ejanderson
    Options
    Get good shoes, don't get discouraged if you have do any days a couple times or if you get sick and fall behind, and sign up NOW for a race so you have a solid goal to reach for and keep you motivated!
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I want to get into this but where can I get the app or program without having to Buy it. I don't have a credit card to buy the app and am Kind of Broke anyway

App for your phone- RunKeeper (search in app store) has a free version that works well for timing your intervals. There is also a paid version but it is not needed to just time your runs.

I have used this since November to track my runs- it also keeps a log online of all your runs.
  • BradyMommy
    BradyMommy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 6 and I am NOT an athlete. After W1D1 I thought I was going to have a heart attack! But on Friday night I just ran 2.08 miles in 20 minutes!

In terms of apps and free stuff I use the RObert Ullrey podcasts. They are free to download on the c25k website. They have great music and he comes on and tell you when to walk and when to run. THere is one for each week so the music doesn't get old or anything.

I love C25K!!!!
  • noturninback
    noturninback Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump

been wanting to do this also!

You Can Do It!!
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Completed W2D1 today!! I was never a runner, though in grade school I played soccer and basketball. I love to walk, and would like to be able to add running to the mix. And when I get a better feel for when I'll be ready, I'll be signing up for my 1st 5K!
  • TRMite
    TRMite Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I did C5K almost 2 years ago. my advice: run outside! seriously treadmill running is so boring and mentally painful to me, nothing beats heading out on the road. more advice: invest in some good running shoes, if you over/under probate buy accordingly or get arch supports, and finally... relatively soon after starting I really recommend registering for a real 5K that's a ways off. nothing beats running with others, it's a culture, and it's really not intimidating, everyone's happy to see others giving it a go. training for a real race makes it motivating. make all your friends/family come cheer you on. it really does help you stick with it.

set your mind to it and keep at it. that's the most important advice.

PS I did Couch to 1/2 Marathon afterwards and so went from never running to finishing a 1/2 marathon (no walking!!!) in five months. Did a full marathon a few months ago (year later) and fortunately, I dont need a training program anymore. just a runner.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    You can walk the first few times out. Remember to breath. Have some good music. HAVE FUN! I did my C25k program w/ a group of women.