I quit smoking now to quit overeating

Options
Hello everyone I quit smoking about 3 months ago and went to the doctor for my checkup a month later. She told me I was perfectly healthy, except for the fact that I was largely overweight and on my way to possibly getting diabetes like several of my obese family members. So here I am determined to do whatever it takes to stay healthy and grow old with my husband. I am excited to start this journey and look forward to everyones support and advice :)

Replies

• barkernc
    barkernc Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi! I quit smoking almost 2 weeks ago and I am battling the food cravings. Feel free to add me, we can all use as many cheerleaders as we can get. :)
  • newlife888
    newlife888 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey I gained 30+ pounds from quitting smoking last year! I feel your pain. Feel free to friend me for support.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    i quit smoking for the last time allmost 2 years ago, still get cravings for food and a smoke.....i m pritty sure it stress induced tho :wink:
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi and congrats on quitting smoking!! I quit after 11 years on July 29th! After working in the Emergency Room and seeing all the smokers who came in with COPD and nasty coughs I decided it was time. Unfortunately I had JUST lost some weight and gained it all back plus some (30 pounds over 6 months, oops!).

I wish you luck and just take things one day at a time! If you were strong enough to quit the addiction of nicotine, you can do ANYTHING
  • joan2000
    joan2000 Posts: 10
    Options
    Quit smoking a week ago and immediately began focusing on my diet and exercise in order to curb the cravings. You can do this! Feel free to add me if you want some support. :)
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    I quit smoking about 9 months ago and gained 30lbs. It sucked, but now that I've started counting calories again (and have lost nearly a third of that!) I feel *so* much better. My cardio performance has improved, I don't get sick as often, and I have the satisfaction of knowing that I don't have any chemical vices. (I quit caffeine, too. Even worse than smoking! Ouch.)

You can do it! :D
  • lilibean01
    lilibean01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking!!! That is a huge victory! If you can do that, then you can definitely achieve your weight loss goals -- my hat's off to you! I quit smoking in March 2011 because I had dreams of doing a half marathon as well as lose weight. I knew I couldn't be a runner & smoke at the same time, and I wanted to finally be fit, healthy, and happy. (And to fit in my skinny jeans again some day LOL). It was a day to day struggle, but with encouragement and a goal that would give me a huge ego boost/bragging rights, I stuck to it. But I can sympathize with food cravings. My go-to's were carb dense white foods like potatoes and pasta as well as sweets. I think figuring out what my go-to's were and then replacing one at a time really helped. I took out the potatoes and substituted eating an apple or an orange or banana instead. I kept eating the other go-to's for a while, and then after 2 weeks I replaced another one with something healthier.

Anyway, congratulations on taking steps to live a happier and healthier life! Feel free to friend me if you'd like additional support. :smile:
  • bobbin1
    bobbin1 Posts: 60
    Options
    Hit button twice on this topic sorry.
  • katermoody
    Options
    I quit smoking102 days ago...I gained over 10 lbs, I started my new health/fitness/diet plan 44 days ago and now I spend my time counting fat and sodium, etc that I don't Really even think about it. I figure that quitting the smoking and cutting way back on alcohol are Huge accomplishments and it makes the diet part even more important.

BTW I smoked Aa pack a day for 16 years, and live with smoker and now the smell is disgusting to me. The first few weeks were rough, but worth the struggle! Please feel to friend me :)

And keep up the good work, please trust me it gets easier as each day passes...
  • bobbin1
    bobbin1 Posts: 60
    Options
    I quit smoking 15 months ago and gained 20 lbs. Quitting was the best thing I did and the hardest. I am now concentrating on losing the weight. If I could do it anyone could. I still have a little more weight to lose but slow and steady is my motto.
  • digidew
    digidew Posts: 4
    Options
    I quit after smoking for 40 years. I'm 61 now. I Had breast cancer and the tumor was really close to my chest wall & it terrified me. I quit 2 years ago with Chantix and have gained 35 pounds. I feel horrible this heavy. I'm only 5'1" and weigh 150. I had a total hysto at age 27 & they took away my HRT because of the breast cancer. I'm trying so hard but the food cravings won't go away. I'm told belly fat produces hormores and it makes my wonder if that's why I'm craving so much. Is my body trying to find hormones?
  • KudzuSouth
    KudzuSouth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    After over 30 years of smoking, my last cigarette was on Jan. 25, 2011. I gained a bit of weight while quitting. But, a year later, and I've lost most of my fat and am in the best shape of my life! I followed the Power 90 exercise/nutrition program for 90 days. Then another 90 days of P90 Master Series. Now, I'm doing P90X and feeling great!

You can do it! Eat clean, and move your body!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking nearly 4 months ago. Within 3 months, I gained 10 pounds. Got to stop that trend NOW!!!!!!!:explode: Congrats to you for stopping! It's very hard. Feel free to friend me as well. :flowerforyou:
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I need to quit smoking!! Maybe I'll add some of you guys later today....I really need to do this!!
  • CJhawkfan01
    Options
    I completed my first round of P90X while still smoking. I lost 20 pounds and felt great. I was in the best shape of my adult life, despite the fact that I still smoked. After completing P90X, I decided to quit and when I did I told myself, "Hey you quit smoking, no need to worry about watching what you eat and staying with the exercise, YOU DON'T SMOKE ANYMORE"

So, for 18 months I did what I wanted, ate what I wanted, and stayed off the cigerettes.
    Well I gained all the 20 pounds back and added 15 just for good measure.
    Now I'm back on a routine, eating right, and have dropped about half the weight I gained.
    I'm older, but losing weight has not been more difficult then before, because I'm getting more out of my exercise routine then I ever did in the past.
    Don't do what i did............. Stay with your routine and don't reward yourself for quiting, by letting go of the things you really need like a great diet and exersise program.
  • digidew
    digidew Posts: 4
    Options
    :bigsmile: Don't give up!
  • Rscrappy
    Rscrappy Posts: 35
    Options
    I had my last cigarette in Dec. 31, 2011. 76 days ago, Healthy living started February 1,, 2012. So far so good with both. Feel great except for having a tooth pulled today. I fact I have started training to do a 5K walk in June to raise money for hemophilia. Just remember it's going to be a long slow road and do not get discouraged. ADD ME if you would like.
  • debsl8
    debsl8 Posts: 26
    Options
    Good for you. I quit on 2 September 2010, but like so many others put on weight. However if I can quit smoking I know I can lose this weight, and so can you. Good luck on your journey, I wish you (and everyone else on MFP) every success. Please feel free to add me as a friend if you wish.
  • rawheeler38
    Options
    I quit smoking a year ago Sunday. I gained 40 pounds in that year, but I do not regret it. Now though..that 40 pounds has to go.
  • davidjoyce5817
    Options
    I quit smoking,alcohol and pot after 23 years of abuse all at once cold turkey 76 days ago.Spent 42 of those in the hospital with pneumonia.That was enough of a scare to live the clean life before something life altering would happen.While in the hospital they feed ya a dam buffet 4 times a day.Even though i have put on 15 extra pounds I am feeling a tiny bit healthier everyday.I don't feel bad about the extra weight at the moment cause i don't give a **** what people think.The little bit of extra weight will go away eventually once my cig cravings stop being every 5 minutes 24./7,,sigh...=)