Filling, Low-Cal, Healthy & Tasty?

Options
Hello Fitness Pals,

I'm new here and joined after I found out from the doctor that I have high cholesterol and am overweight. The pounds had been creeping up since I turned 30 and having never been terribly focused on weight, I was frankly shocked when I saw on the doctor's scale just how much weight I had gained. My doctor suggested I track my food & exercise on My Fitness Pal. I am 10 days in.

I hope this isn't a question/issue unique to me, but I am finding that in limiting my caloric intake (after so many years of eating whatever whenever), I feel hungry even with 3 meals a day and snacks.

Are there low-calorie, healthy foods/meals/recipes that you recommend, that will also be filling & tasty (flavorful)? Right now, this feels like an impossible combination to find.

I am also going to post this under the recipes thread.

Thank you!

Replies

• Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You should open up your food diary so we can see the sort of foods that you are eating at the moment.
    Things I do to stave off the hunger pains are trying to include protein as it fills you up for longer, also I use ground linseeds (or flaxseeds) in my cereal as they swell and keep you full for longer - they are also really good for you!! Salad with tuna is a good idea for lunch, the salad bulks it out and the tuna helps to keep you full for longer. Pulses are great to add to your dinner, you can bulk out minced meat with lentals or kidney beans, which cuts the calories and ups the fibre. Also make sure to drink lots of water, often thirst is mistaken as hunger. Hope this helps!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you like to eat. I have cut down on portion size and cut out foods made of white flour. I eat egg white omelets with tons of veggies. They are very low cal and you can have a ton. Protein will help you stay fuller longer. I did not cut out carbs. I need them. I switched to Thomas's Sahara low cal mini pita's, Mission whole grain low carb tortilla's and pepperidge farm whole grain light style bread, they are half the calories but portion controlled. Get a food scale and make sure you are eating the correct portion size. Sweets and soda will make you hungry sooner then a healthy snack.
    Check online for healthy recipes. check out these
    dlife.com
    cookinglight.com
    eatinglight.com
    skinnytaste.com

for snacks this is great
    http://www.canadianparents.com/article/100-family-snacks-under-100-calories
  • raji20
    raji20 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions. I will definitely check out those websites. I'm getting better at choosing healthy snacks for between meals and I've been trying to get 8 glasses of water every day (or close to).

Thanks again!
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    eat lots of greens and some fruit. fruit digests very quickly and can make you feel very hungry especially if you have any sugar intolerance issues. fish is a good option. as for snacks try celery with some raw almond butter and a few raisins or some sprouted bread with 1/2 and avocado and tomato slices
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I make sure that I include protein and carbs with most meals. Carbs freaked me out but have seen two dieticians who have both told me that eating 50% of my calories from carbs is a must. Also, lots of veg.

I eat something ever 2 - 3 hours during the day and find that I am never hungry.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    anything natural pretty much has more fiber which fills you up.fruit or veggies with low fat or ff dressing is good. i like the ff blue cheese cuz it tastes way better than ff ranch. low fat cheeses contain protein which also makes you feel full faster. anything weight watchers is pretty good in a pinch. one percent milk with a fiber one brownie is awesome snack! 98% ff popcorn, the kettle corn, is my fav and sugar free jello with cool whip or berries with cool whip, you can pretty much eat either of those three snacks all day and not get a lot of calories. the ff pudding cups are awesome also if you need chocolate. i have a definite sweet tooth and couldnt get thru without these. my fav is chopped up strawberries and bananas with a drizzle of choc sauce and cool whip free!