Old lady among the young gym bunnies!

Options
carolemack
carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
Well, it is a good thing that I don't intimidate easily...went to the gym today and decided to do a little more than just use the pool, hot tub, and sauna. So I walk out into the actual women's only exercise area with my mismatched workout clothes, my towel and water bottle...and what awaits me but a bevy of very young, very fit, very stylish young women working out on various pieces of equipment and/or using the free weights. It was very tempting to turn around and walk right back out. However, I took a deep breath and walked right on over to a treadmill and hopped on.

30 minutes later, covered in sweat but feeling good, I sort of forgot about everyone else and decided to try a couple of the arm machines. I guess I was a little discombobulated because I can no longer remember what they were called but the 1st one I could only use the 10 pound weight and the second one I could use the 40 pound weight. I did 3 sets of 10 (the last few of each set were killers!) on each machine before deciding to hit the shower and then the fun stuff...sauna, pool, and hot tub.

The point to my story is this...I am 64 years old and currently weigh 216 pounds...if you are feeling a little intimidated by the thought of going to the gym, don't be! If I can do it, you can, and you may just find as I did...that you actually like it! :bigsmile: :smile:

I can't wait to go back...but next time I will have a little notebook with me to write down what machines I have used at what weight!

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Fantastic - I bet some of those little bunnies went home and said - you wouldn't believe it but there was this older lady at the gym and she was really working it!!
    Does your gym offer a free session with a trainer to set you up with a program to follow? That is a great way to get started.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Love this, good for you! Great post :)
  • DanceMamaE
    Options
    Good for YOU! Keep it up! :happy:
  • sarapesek
    sarapesek Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Way to go! What an inspiration! I bet you'll find lots of those scary women are actually helpful and excited you're there too :)
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your kind words everyone! :blushing:

Rubybelle I will ask at the gym about a session with a trainer...I have been looking on-line tonight at different fitness websites to try and develop my own little progam, I'll see how that works out for me.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Way to show them how it's done Carolemack! So impressed. Hey, I'm close to you - I'm in Poco.

Next time I'm feeling shy about lifting in meathead-ville, I will think of you and do it anyway.
  • JennyAnnLanders
    JennyAnnLanders Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You made me think of "Fried Green Tomatoes" Towanda! With the exception that I am so glad you stuck with it and I bet the Bunnies thought it was pretty cool too! My 4 daughters would have! Keep ip all the goodness!!
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Right-on!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Good for you.
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Good for you. My mum has just surprised us all by getting her first gym membership at the age of 63! She has decided to get fit in advance of my wedding in May. Amazing! She is there almost every weekday, not only doing aquaaerobics but also some classes and weights machines.

Phones me the other day asking which iPod to get so she can listed to music or her books on tape.

Go you both!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Good story. Never worry about anyone else, set your own goals and go at your own pace.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    You. ROCK!:flowerforyou:
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i notice at my gym the young bunnies are just there to socialize or to check out the guys on the weights. we mature women are there to work out and kick butt. I know someone my age and shes got a ripped body! when she walks in she so intimidates the younger girls and i think thats so funny!!
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    Good for you, girl! That's the way to do it. And trust me, everyone gets intimidated at the gym at some point…and we shouldn't! Honestly, I think most people who are serious about working out don't even notice what or who is around them. Keep up the great work. The weights and treadmill will be a major addition to your current routine.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    We were all in our 20's once.... and we will all get a chance to "try it again" many times over. Good for you. I know at my Gold's Gym, the average age of people working out is closer to 40's than 20's - for men and women. I get incredible envy when I see another women in middle-age, somewhere between 40-60 with a really fit, toned body. I see them there often, and they inspire me to keep coming, keep working out, and finding the "fun" things to do at the gym, like mixing in yoga, zumba, etc to personal training sessions and cardio.

Get stronger, and you will be one of the inspiring ones, too. Keep it up!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Great inspirational story!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Kick Gymtimidation to the curb!
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Great job.. and keep up the good work. and just so you know, I did my first half marathon last weekend and i was passed up by a few men and women that were well into there golden years. there was one lady she must have been pushing 80 trotted right by me. lol I was so proud of her and I'm proud of you.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    You are not alone!
    I started at our gym at 61. Like an earlier poster suggested, I asked for a free session with a trainer to learn the proper use of the machines.
    I started on MFP Memorial Day 2011 and I've gone from 230 pounds to 174, so far. In December I re-joined Jazzercise, which I had left because my heart rate was going too high. Now I'm on beta-blockers and loving the cardio at Jazzercise once more!
    I still use my gym membership for the pool, weight training and Tai Chi.
    Please stick with your gym and I'm proud of you that you are trying new things. We can surprise them!