Addicted to bananas like me? Or not? Read this. :)

Options
BrendaLee
BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
20 Fascinating facts about bananas: (too long to post)

http://www.thethinkingblog.com/2008/02/20-fascinating-facts-about-natural.html

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i love bananas. i offered my friend some fruit today and was listing what i had...i said bananas last thinking she wouldnt want one, who eats bananas when there are berries. i was sad when i gave it away to her.
  • jessicael
    jessicael Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yeahh!!! Very exciting news. I love bananas and eat them often, but when I log my food I sometimes get discouraged because of the carb content. But at least it is a healthy alternative to those darn chocolate cookies :)

Jess
  • elizabeth125
    Options
    Don't feel bad about bananas. With complex carbs, your body has to work to burn them off. Look into it. Try replacing a serving of pasta or bread in exchange for the carbs from bananas, they are way better for you than wheat carbs will ever be. Not to mention you get fiber out of bananas like you would from pasta or bread anyways.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I LOVE bananas, and usually have at least one a day when they are in the house and ripe enough to eat!

I want to eat another one now, but have to wait till tomorrow or i will be over my calories for the day!:sad:
  • apalesko
    apalesko Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for the link! Good info. ^-^
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that likes them mostly green????

:bigsmile:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Banana's are great just before a run!

My son (he's 1-1/2 yrs old) has to have a banana for breakfast every morning regardless of what else he's eating.

I try to eat a banana each day, too.

The most surprising thing to me in that article was the mosquito bite treatment.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that likes them mostly green????

:bigsmile:

I need them to be VERY ripe- that's when they're so sweet and yummy. As they ripen, the starch turns to sugar, so the more ripe they are, the sweeter they are. Diabetics should eat them when they're less ripe.
  • danni55
    danni55 Posts: 22
    Options
    I was surprised by the mosquito and wart part. That's funny. Too bad I only just found this post today! 4th of July weekend left me with quite a bit of mosquito bites, but they're gone now.
  • RonniesGirl
    Options
    I love bananas, but like it was mentioned, only when they aren't ripe. LOL....once they start tasting banana-y and get spots.....blech.......the only thing I use them for then is banana bread!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I used to love them green, but you have to watch out - too green and that "helps with constipation" part goes into overdrive. :blushing: Now I shoot for when the stems and tops are green but the rest is a freshly ripe yellow...ahh the days when I was still brave enough to eat a green banana.....