protein help?

Options
I'm always over my protein on my food tracker, due to the fact I eat slmon, chicken, turkey, or steak as a meal. Is too much protein bad or good?

Replies

• kleighsamboer
    Options
    you CAN have too much of a good thing, not only that, but eating so much meat as a protein source can make your body acidic and can cause other health issues with the bowels and can make you feel lethargic and achy. Try eating more dark leafy greens. Greens have a lot of protein in them and it is easier for your body to digest. Greens make your body more alkaline so it will function better.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    you CAN have too much of a good thing, not only that, but eating so much meat as a protein source can make your body acidic and can cause other health issues with the bowels and can make you feel lethargic and achy. Try eating more dark leafy greens. Greens have a lot of protein in them and it is easier for your body to digest. Greens make your body more alkaline so it will function better.

Unless you are diabetic and you are talking about acidosis, this is not true. Unless you go crazy for you're body size, you cannot eat too much protein based on recent studies...
    Do regular high protein diets have potential health risks on kidney function in athletes?

Source

Department of Physiological Chemistry, Institute of Physical Education and Kinesiotherapy, Free University of Brussels, Belgium.

Abstract

Excess protein and amino acid intake have been recognized as hazardous potential implications for kidney function, leading to progressive impairment of this organ. It has been suggested in the literature, without clear evidence, that high protein intake by athletes has no harmful consequences on renal function. This study investigated body-builders (BB) and other well-trained athletes (OA) with high and medium protein intake, respectively, in order to shed light on this issue. The athletes underwent a 7-day nutrition record analysis as well as blood sample and urine collection to determine the potential renal consequences of a high protein intake. The data revealed that despite higher plasma concentration of uric acid and calcium, Group BB had renal clearances of creatinine, urea, and albumin that were within the normal range. The nitrogen balance for both groups became positive when daily protein intake exceeded 1.26 g.kg but there were no correlations between protein intake and creatinine clearance, albumin excretion rate, and calcium excretion rate. To conclude, it appears that protein intake under 2. 8 g.kg does not impair renal function in well-trained athletes as indicated by the measures of renal function used in this study

PMID: 10722779 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

They concluded that a protective effect of high-casein diet against CsA-induced proximal tubular damage was observed in Sprague–Dawley rats. Lacroix et al. studied the effects of a very-high-protein diet in rats over a period of 6 months. Forty eight Wistar rats received either a normal-protein diet (14% protein) or a very-high-protein diet (50% protein). No nephrocalcinosis, no area of collagenous sclerosis, and no hypercellularity were detectable. Also, endothelial and mesangial cells were normal and so were surrounding tubules.

Pons M, Plante I, LeBrun M et al. Protein-rich diet attenuates cyclosporin A-induced renal tubular damage in rats. J Renal Nutr 2003; 13: 84–92
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You'd need to be eating an awful lot of protein for it to do damage. I'd say anywhere up to 100-150g a day is not a problem.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I'm always over my protein on my food tracker, due to the fact I eat slmon, chicken, turkey, or steak as a meal. Is too much protein bad or good?

MFP's standard protein setting is quite low, so don't worry.

I've changed mine to 40%carb, 30% protein&fat and now try hard to reach the protein figure.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

Unless you are diabetic and you are talking about acidosis, this is not true. Unless you go crazy for you're body size, you cannot eat too much protein based on recent studies...
    Do regular high protein diets have potential health risks on kidney function in athletes?

Source

Department of Physiological Chemistry, Institute of Physical Education and Kinesiotherapy, Free University of Brussels, Belgium.

Abstract

Excess protein and amino acid intake have been recognized as hazardous potential implications for kidney function, leading to progressive impairment of this organ. It has been suggested in the literature, without clear evidence, that high protein intake by athletes has no harmful consequences on renal function. This study investigated body-builders (BB) and other well-trained athletes (OA) with high and medium protein intake, respectively, in order to shed light on this issue. The athletes underwent a 7-day nutrition record analysis as well as blood sample and urine collection to determine the potential renal consequences of a high protein intake. The data revealed that despite higher plasma concentration of uric acid and calcium, Group BB had renal clearances of creatinine, urea, and albumin that were within the normal range. The nitrogen balance for both groups became positive when daily protein intake exceeded 1.26 g.kg but there were no correlations between protein intake and creatinine clearance, albumin excretion rate, and calcium excretion rate. To conclude, it appears that protein intake under 2. 8 g.kg does not impair renal function in well-trained athletes as indicated by the measures of renal function used in this study

They concluded that a protective effect of high-casein diet against CsA-induced proximal tubular damage was observed in Sprague–Dawley rats. Lacroix et al. studied the effects of a very-high-protein diet in rats over a period of 6 months. Forty eight Wistar rats received either a normal-protein diet (14% protein) or a very-high-protein diet (50% protein). No nephrocalcinosis, no area of collagenous sclerosis, and no hypercellularity were detectable. Also, endothelial and mesangial cells were normal and so were surrounding tubules.

Pons M, Plante I, LeBrun M et al. Protein-rich diet attenuates cyclosporin A-induced renal tubular damage in rats. J Renal Nutr 2003; 13: 84–92

inb4 " they are athletes they process protein different"
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    LOL thought you had said they are different :laugh:

Aye, we all have the same digestive systems :bigsmile:
  • DarrenSeeley
    DarrenSeeley Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Remember the totals on MFP are fairly arbitrary when it comes to percentages of carbs fat and protein. You should change them to suit your diet. And as others have said, I doubt you could eat enough protein to cause you any problems. As long as your diet is balanced you'll be fine.

best wishes
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Exactly.

I'm on 550g of protein a day and I've not dropped dead yet :bigsmile:

I have regular health checks and my kidney throughput has been off the scale they can measure.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Reset your macros to set your protein goal at roughly 1g per lb of body weight. Then you won't have to look at all the silly red numbers.
  • kleighsamboer
    Options

Source

Abstract

In this study that you quoted it talks about elevated uric acid which over time can cause gout, kidney stones, ect. So, excess protein can make your body acidic and not function properly. I have done the research. your body functions better when it is more alkaline. I am not saying not to take in a good amount of protein. what i said is there are cleaner ways to get it. Not only that but if you are not a hard core athlete you do not need as much protein and if you eat too much and you are not exercising regularly it can harm your organs.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    That's on a VERY HIGH (50%) protein diet. I don't think anyone has advocated anything nearly that high.