Annoying people!

Options
In the last year I have lost 4 stone.....excercised my butt off (literally), and made myself proud of what I have achieved.

I absolutely love going to my kettlebell / kettlercise classes and I have also signed up to do a 10k run and a half marathon.

I strained my neck at the weekend, and didn't go to my kettlebell classes yesterday to rest it. But i have to start my 12 weeks 10K training plan today, which i am going to do, as its a 15 min run! Easy!

Anyway the reason for my post is that my sister has started going to my kettlebell classes, and has kinda ruined it for me! She has given me no support, no encouragement and no nice comments during my weight loss journey, and has suddenly decided she is now doing a diet and exercise too!

Now she suddenly is an expert in all things kettlebell, injuries and running! Giving me advice, and she knows bugger all about what she is talking about!!! She has really annoyed me and i feel i need to vent :) I just feel she doesn't take is all seriously! And if you saw the amount of alcohol she put away over the weekend, its a JOKE!!!!

Rant over!

Replies

• elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ughhhh.....family or not, I HATE it when people do that!!! Grr!!!! Just try to think happy thoughts and try not to let negativity get ya down!!!!!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hey, you can tell she's just trying to copy you. She has her own issues - don't make them yours. You're doing so very well.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Try to look at the positive side:

In all likelihood YOUR SUCCESS inspired her to want to be more active. She probably became jealous because you were doing SO WELL.

Keep pluggin' away!
  • ladyamandajane
    Options
    Sounds like your sister could be a little jealous of how well you ahve done, stay strong and dont let it get to you, you have done amazing be proud of yourself.
    :happy:
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your sister could be a little jealous of how well you ahve done, stay strong and dont let it get to you, you have done amazing be proud of yourself.

^^^
    I quite agree. She's seen your progress and got jealous, hence the snide remarks and lack of support. Now she's realised you're in it for the long run and wants some of it herself. Politely point out to her that you are expert enough in kettlebell, running, et al and you'd be happy to advise HER, if she's willing to listen.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Would ranting to her help? She is your sister afterall. I was a bit surprised to see a topic called 'annoying people' and it ended up being about your sister... I guess we've all got to whinge about our sisters sometimes, and your whinge is certainly legit - that would annoy the carp out of me, haha, but I can also say things like 'wth are you telling me that for? remember, i've been doing it for the past year'. My sister and I are happy to be aggressive, then happily joking around together again.

You have really done an amazing job!

Oh, and my sister doesn't ever give compliments, ever. Not out of spite, I have come to realise, it is just that she feels she can help more by telling you what you can do better. It's annoying as hell and I used to really hate it, but at some point I realised it is more helpful to say to her 'thanks, sis, i really needed to hear how much further i need to go instead of how far i've come'. I know she is kind-hearted because when I say things like this she reacts with 'oh, yeah! well of course you've done an amazing job - that is obvious'. LOL.

oh sisters~ how do they get to be so different to us?
  • NeilsWifex
    Options
    Apologies for being 'on the other side' but maybe your feeling pushed out that she is doing 'your thing'?
    Everyone has to start a healthy lifestyle some where....and we haven't always succeeded at first attempt.
    Be proud that she saw your success and followed your lead.
    It's not a biggy if she doesn't encourage you....you are grown women, you know you have done and will do well, you don't need people to tell you that.
    As for advise your sister is giving if you know fact that its not true either nicely correct her or let it go in one ear out the other....but bear in mind she might actually know things you don't too.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Ignore her.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Imitation is often the most sincere form of flattery...
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

In all likelihood YOUR SUCCESS inspired her to want to be more active. She probably became jealous because you were doing SO WELL.

Keep pluggin' away!

I agree :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    It seems like she wants to put aside all the non-support that was happening before, because she can see you are actually enjoying yourself and succeeding and now she probably feels like you were the brave one and now its safe for her to come join you. Not everyone has family, much less someone to go to the gym and share the experience with. Seems liek she is trying to start over. I hope she doesnt get discouraged cause she feels you judging her :(

we all want family and friends to get healthy
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

Keep pluggin' away!

agreed :flowerforyou:
  • beckyluvsgeckos
    Options
    Obviously you are an inspiration to her. Keep doing what you are doing....Stay focused on YOU!

GREAT JOB...btw
  • perpetuallyfit
    perpetuallyfit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Your sister just seems the jealous sorts...Ignore her. I know it's tough but no point bringing yourself down because of her negativity. The timing of her joining the workout classes is also a pointer. She probably is jealous of the attention you seem to be drawing because of your awesome weight loss and your switch to leading a healthier lifestyle. Enjoy your journey! :smile:
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    oh i think she's jealous.
  • kerryd73
    kerryd73 Posts: 28
    Options
    It seems like she wants to put aside all the non-support that was happening before, because she can see you are actually enjoying yourself and succeeding and now she probably feels like you were the brave one and now its safe for her to come join you. Not everyone has family, much less someone to go to the gym and share the experience with. Seems liek she is trying to start over. I hope she doesnt get discouraged cause she feels you judging her :(

we all want family and friends to get healthy

This.... Even more, show her how you would have liked her to treat you by doing it to her. Support her, encourage her, love on her. It will only bring you two closer.
  • ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options
    Oh sorry about feeling this way. I agree with the others who said to ignore the negative then be a part of the positive. Encourage & support her (this is easier said than done, I know).

I, too, have people that are like that, family & even some MFP members. Let it slide, even if in all honesty, you want to break their faces (sometimes, hahaha). There is a reason why you lost 4 stones & your haters are STILL sporting their jellies. You did not get there by being negative but continuing to pursue your goal & staying positive.
  • pinkpascal
    pinkpascal Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My sister is always giving me unwanted (useless and bad) advice. Just this week I told her if she wanted to comment on the way i'm carrying out my training that i'm doing for my 10k then she better start running herself and then she can comment or advise me. I think she might be slightly jealous, like your sister and this comes out in a negative way by trying to put us down when we are achieving our goals.