Is it beneficial to sweat?

Options
rob_v
rob_v Posts: 270 Member
I guess what I mean is, if I run for say 15 mins on the tread mill in shorts and a tank top, or if I run for 15 mins in sweat pants and a sweat shirt, will the calorie burn be different?
Obviously you will sweat a lot more in the sweat pants and shirt vs the tank top and shorts. Just curious.

Replies

• aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Would love to know this too. I know they have hot yoga, and saunas are supposed to be healthy. :blushing:
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I think if you do get a reading of a higher calorie burn, it's because your heart rate would be increased from the higher body temperature. Don't think the actual calorie burn would differ. This could possibly be damaging in the long run if it leads to dehydration from excessive sweating.

I think more importantly, sweating is good for cleaner skin, lower body temperature, cleansing junk outta your body... lots of benefits in that regard!
  • davidandrewwillis
    Options
    Ditto on the curiosity
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too :P
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The calorie burn will not be different. Sweating just eliminates water. You will replenish it when you drink some more.
  • daisydieter
    daisydieter Posts: 118
    Options
    I've always wondered this myself. I have heard, though, if you exercise in cooler temperatures you're burning more calories to both move and stay warm.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    any difference in calorie burn would be negligible, and most likely you would be able to push yourself harder if you are comfortable vs. being hot, so you may end up burning more in the shorts and tank. Your body actually would burn more running in the cold as your body burns calories trying to keep you warm.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    yeah, it can be cleansing to sweat...I don't think there's too much of a calorie difference (but I could be wrong).
    Just make sure you get enough water/electrolytes to replace what you sweat out.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You won't burn more calories by making yourself sweat more. Sweat is your body's way to regulate your temperature. By wearing lighter clothes you are helping your body stay cooler so it doesn't have to sweat as much while you workout. The physical activity is the same therefore the calorie expenditure is the same.
  • BumInTheSun73
    BumInTheSun73 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Me too. I always wondered about the people in the gym who are dressed like they are going into a freezer. I think I would pass out! LOL
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    No calories but it would eliminate water weight I would imagine.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    SO a looked around the interweb and most feel it does not. But I did not find anything referencing medical journals. I think that would be where you would find you answer.

I do know this. I worked outside at a restaurant, it was very hot, the restaurant was very big. I probably walk 3 miles in 4 hours, quick slow, quick slow. I would be soaked through, and drinking water.

I feel it helped burn more cals, or at least moved the impurities of what I was burning faster through my system because I was sweating A LOT. I lost 30lbs in 3 month. I kept it off until I got pregnant 6 months later.