Eating Bad Food But Under Calorie Goal

Options
Ok so I have changed my diet quite alot and have been eating much more healthily, BUT I still sometimes eat junk as long as it is within my calorie intake.

I have noticed that when the junk is completely cut out I tend to loose much more weight, even if I am eating lots of food but it is healthy.

Does anyone here eat junk and still loose weight by making sure it is within their calorie intake?

Replies

• stevodreo
    stevodreo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    you will still lose but def not as quick. all junk food have a high gi number thus not getting full and having sugar go quickly to your blood stream
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Sure, lots of people do. Moderation is the key. Pick a day each week where you allow yourself to have "junk". I wouldn't make it part of your everyday diet though. Your goal here is get healthy and you've seen for yourself that the "junk" causes you to lose less weight.
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I eat junk food sometimes. Usually a little bit everyday, alongside my regular balanced meals. I'm losing weight steadily. Everyone's different- do what works for you! If you can work it in to your calories and macros, then why the heck not?
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    for some people the whole calories in - calories out works for them...so it doesn't matter really what they eat...

if you cut out processed and junk food - especially ones with sugar and higher carbs it will allow your body to work better, use the nutrients better and you will probably not only see a decrease in weight, but also an increase in energy levels, better skin, nails, hair,
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You're body sees macro & micro nutrients not food names.

if you are in cal deficit you will lose weight.

Having said that, you should be basing the majority of your foods around whole unprocessed types. A few "dirty" foods here and there is fine if it fits you're macros.

Low GI & High GI makes no difference to weight loss being that you eat mixed meals anyway.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    theoneandonlybrookie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that you should try to eat the "good" food as much as possible but incorporate "bad" food into your diet sometimes so that you don't crave it too much and throw in the towel completely. I agree that moderation is key.

What I personally find difficult is to determine what really is good food and bad food. I feel like there are some people on this site who believe that others shouldn't eat any (fill in the blank here - fast food, carbs, meat, pasta, sugar, etc.) EVER).

Sometimes I'll feel like I have a good day, and I'll get a comment on my diary that says that I ate too much of x, y, or z. Don't get me wrong - I am a person who wants honest feedback on her journal... Please, bring it. I appreciate it. I'm just trying to workout for myself what is good vs. what is bad.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've been on restrictive "diets" before and they just don't work for me. I like eating what everyone else is eating, and don't like to feel deprived. I try to save enough calories each day for a little treat and a glass of wine after I our kids are in bed. It may be as small as a piece of dark chocolate, or maybe even some ice cream. I eat my exercise calories back, too. As long as I stay under my calorie goal, I'm happy!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You could eat only Twinkies and still lose weight. I wouldn't recommend it though :tongue:
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that you should try to eat the "good" food as much as possible but incorporate "bad" food into your diet sometimes so that you don't crave it too much and throw in the towel completely. I agree that moderation is key.

What I personally find difficult is to determine what really is good food and bad food. I feel like there are some people on this site who believe that others shouldn't eat any (fill in the blank here - fast food, carbs, meat, pasta, sugar, etc.) EVER).

Sometimes I'll feel like I have a good day, and I'll get a comment on my diary that says that I ate too much of x, y, or z. Don't get me wrong - I am a person who wants honest feedback on her journal... Please, bring it. I appreciate it. I'm just trying to workout for myself what is good vs. what is bad.

I completely agree...
    growing up my dad always said "everything in moderation"
  • ValleryK
    ValleryK Posts: 16
    Options
    I think it depends on how often you eat junk food.
    I love junk food, and I allow myself to eat it if I'm really craving it & I still lose weight, however, mostly I'd rather eat 6 meals a day of healthy food than one meal of junk food.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I personally can't eat junk food and lose weight. Not because I don't think it can be done because I agree with a lot of the above posters...as long as you are in a calorie defecit than you will lose. But the reason I CAN'T is because of the number of calories I am allowed to eat, I can't eat junk food and be full. "Healthy" whole foods (not processed, "junk" food) keeps me full and I can eat a lot more. Not to mention the benefits of much better looking skin, loads of energy, and a better sense of well-being :happy: Do whatever works for you. Try slowly making changes.

edited to add: this doesn't mean I don't have a day or meal reserved for eating whatever.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have found since joining MFP that I lose 0.5 a week if I stay within my set calories, whether I eat junk or healthy food.
    But I FEEL different depending on what I eat! Going overboard on my fat, sugar, and sodium makes me feel sluggish. Loading up on fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, and lean protein gives me more energy. So that's what I shoot for!
    I don't mind "falling off the wagon" every now and then (had bangers and mash and then a burger and fries this weekend!) But I'm always ready to climb back on afterwards when I feel all bleh, and I remember "Oh, yeah, THIS is why I eat healthy foods."

ETA--I also really like to eat! I can eat MORE food when it's healthy (healthy foods are usually lower in calories) as opposed to LESS food when it's junk. I'm going to opt for more food whenever possible, thanks!
  • Littlemrscookie
    Options
    I'm totally guilty in this daily. Seems the only way to eat "healthy" for me is to make sure I have enough calories left for that piece of cake at night or that little bowl of ice cream. It worked three years ago.....will let you know if it works now in a couple of weeks.
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I still eat some junk food, but definitely less than before. I find that keeping track of what I eat has helped me realize how bad some junk food is for you. I notice the more weight I lose, the less attractive junk food sounds. When a cookie has 200 calories or more, I I know I have to run for 20 -30 minutes just to burn that cookie off, it doesn't look so appetizing. But I still eat some junk food, because I am losing weight, and it is a diet I can live with.
  • ToniLTL
    ToniLTL Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately have a sweet tooth and since beginning watching my diet over a year ago I always allowed myself a treat every day so that I didn't binge. It is all about calories in and calories out so I always ate well during the day and if i have exercised i then treat myself but only a small snack mind. I have been known to allow a third of my diet for the day to treats but I have still managed to loose weight I was thirteen stone a year ago now hovering above ten and have been for the last six months so you can so it.

Exercise and balance is what it is all about. Don't deny yourself this is all about lifestyle.

Have just had a mini cupcake but then I exercised for an hour this morning!!!
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This:
    I personally can't eat junk food and lose weight. Not because I don't think it can be done because I agree with a lot of the above posters...as long as you are in a calorie defecit than you will lose. But the reason I CAN'T is because of the number of calories I am allowed to eat, I can't eat junk food and be full. "Healthy" whole foods (not processed, "junk" food) keeps me full and I can eat a lot more. Not to mention the benefits of much better looking skin, loads of energy, and a better sense of well-being :happy: Do whatever works for you. Try slowly making changes.

edited to add: this doesn't mean I don't have a day or meal reserved for eating whatever.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I LOVE junk food!!! But it always makes me feel very different - lethargic, ravenous for more junk, and then major belly upset. It's been a slooooooooow change for me to make healthier choices though. Not something I could do overnight. But I've learned the less processed, the better I feel and the more energy I have.

I still need dessert after lunch and dinner, but I've tried to swap out for healthy alternatives. Recently I just made a low cal, low carb, high protein cheesecake and have been happy as a pig in mud indulging in that every night. nom nom nom...

Find alternatives and take it one day at a time. There are some GREAT recipe sites out there that inspired and helped me. Favorite right now: skinnytaste.com

Good Luck!
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to have a "treat" food on days where i go to the gym and burn off the calories before/after i eat it. Your body needs to have cheat days like weekends where you allow yourself to have bad food to give your metabolism a bit of a shock! I drink and eat what i want at weekends (not to excess) and can still stay in shape aslong as i eat healthy through the week and go to the gym. enjoy having treats! (:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    There really seems to be two differing opinions to this one...a lot of people say "do it in moderation or you'll have horrible cravings and totally lose control", but others (myself included) have found that after cutting out the junk food, those cravings are reduced and even eliminated completely. Now that I'm basically at my goal weight, I still occasionally indulge in junk food, but I definitely don't enjoy it like I used to now that my body is used to better choices.

I guess it depends on you personally and what works best, but ideally, (as you already know), its better for your overall health to keep filling your calorie intake with healthier foods and not processed or sugary fillers.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I try to maintain a balance and keep it within my allowed calorie intake. I am more aware of the nutritional content so, I try not to go aboard.