Eating Bad Food But Under Calorie Goal

Options

Replies

• Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't necessarily have a "junk" day, but I do work in a snack pretty much on a daily basis. Obviously, "junk" isn't the best food choice because your body isn't getting nutrients from it, and it's mostly empty calories. However, if you feel the needs to splurge and it's within your calorie limits for the day, I don't see why you shouldn't. A lot of success in weight loss comes from NOT depriving yourself. As long as you're able to burn off what you put in (in other words, you meet your calorie goal by expending more calories than you're putting in), I don't see why it's a problem. My top vices: Slim Jim's and Ice Cream Sandwhiches.

Shannon
  • rebeccazeno
    rebeccazeno Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat junk food sometimes...Hubby bought me Almond Roca for Valentines Day and it just calls my name..:-) I do lose weight faster if I don't eat it at all and of course we all want the fastest results but the question is "do you plan to never eat junk food again?". If you're goal is to lead a healthy eating lifestyle, then you have to learn to eat what you want in moderation. You can't cut everything out because as soon as you hit your target weight, you're going to gooble up all the goodies in sight and start putting the weight back on.

My suggestion is, eat well balanced meals within your calorie goal and if you have a few calories to spare and you are craving junk, then go for it. If the serving size of what you're eating is, let's say, 3 pieces of candy then eat just 1 and see if that curbs the craving. If I'm going to eat junk, I always try to eat it in the middle of the day and not late at night. I really don't know if that matters but for some reason I feel better about it...:-)
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Eating "junk food" probably won't allow you to hit an OPTIMAL ratio of macronutrients.

Calories aren't the only important factor when trying to lose weight.
  • angella_zumba
    Options
    I have done that before only to make up calories that I needed because I worked out sooooo hard ! BUT don't feel good afterwards...I just would feel better if I eat healthier things.. Sometimes those healthier choices are not there for me to eat :((

I would say sometimes is ok, but don't make a habit of it! Good luck!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat junk. LOL. I try to eat healthy, and I do eat lots of veggies and fruits, and 100% whole grains mostly, but I also eat plenty of junk foods. Like pretzels. But I stick to my calorie goal. I still have been successful at losing. Sometimes sodium messes me up because I'm over on sodium a lot :( But that's just water weight, so it goes away fast.
  • ultraplop
    ultraplop Posts: 30
    Options
    Of course a lot of people are going to say don't eat junk food, however if you are saying that you are under your calorie goal and normally with less junk food you lose more weight with essentially the same calorie consumption, it would leave me to believe that you are burning less calories when you eat more junk food. It might not even be that noticeable, but if you are less energetic, even by a small amount, then it could add up over time.

Another possibility might be that you are underestimating the calories you are consuming. If the junk food you eat has a lot of fat, then it is easy to be off by quite a bit in your estimation if you don't know the nutritional information.
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys,
    I really just need to conquer my self control issues,
    I have no mediocracy!!!

I think I need to stop with the junk altogether as it turns into a vicious cycle where I then fall off the bandwagon completely and start eating it all too regularly :(

I know that it is all common sense but sometimes you just need to hear it!
  • irenep22
    irenep22 Posts: 59
    Options
    I try to avoid it, it dosent fill me up and i just want to eat more and more.
  • superdonna
    superdonna Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I fit it in my cals for the day. I confess I thought about eating cookies for a meal...but I realised I could only have a few of them to add up to a normal amount of cals per meal and I didn't want to be hungry. Moderation and not deprivation for me.
  • Imawonder
    Imawonder Posts: 65
    Options
    I LOVE junk food!!! But it always makes me feel very different - lethargic, ravenous for more junk, and then major belly upset. It's been a slooooooooow change for me to make healthier choices though. Not something I could do overnight. But I've learned the less processed, the better I feel and the more energy I have.

I still need dessert after lunch and dinner, but I've tried to swap out for healthy alternatives. Recently I just made a low cal, low carb, high protein cheesecake and have been happy as a pig in mud indulging in that every night. nom nom nom...

Find alternatives and take it one day at a time. There are some GREAT recipe sites out there that inspired and helped me. Favorite right now: skinnytaste.com

Good Luck!

Share your recipe please!!
  • Peezy4President
    Peezy4President Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You could eat only Twinkies and still lose weight. I wouldn't recommend it though :tongue:

i would lol jk
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I can't eat junk food and lose weight, at all. I have tried, and it just doesn't work. I may have a slight carb intolerance, though. Calories in/out just doesn't work for me. I have to eat pretty much perfect if I want to lose anything.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I just make sure I hit my protein macro and then eat whatever I want within my calories. I have cut out a lot of soda and bad carbs, but I still have those occasionally as well.
    I lose slower like this, but I am happier and I am really in no hurry to get to my goal weight. I don't feel like I am "dieting". I am just making better choices one at a time, here and there.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    I eat "junk" food every day, most times i have 2 or 3 junk items a day. I hit all my macros and micros.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Calories deficit = weight loss regardless of what you eat.
    Also, no individual foods are "bad", it's about the diet overall really.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels says calories in calories out doesn't matter what they are. I feel like you that I do lose weight better when I don't have say a candy corn serving every other day for a week.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I suspect that the difference in loss rate is due to it being easier to under estimate calories with junk food.

Eating junk and under is a hell of a lot better than eating junk and over. Whatever gets the job done.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I also can't cut it out completely because then I crave it more. But something strange has been happening to me lately. I have had a chance to go Mcdonalds a few times over the last few weeks and each time I get close to going in only to decide on a healthier option. There was a time I never would have passed it up.

I can still fit into my calories. I only have the big mac and diet coke which is 540 calories I think. When I have that I make sure my breakfast is lighter and I have a light dinner.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    You're body sees macro & micro nutrients not food names.

if you are in cal deficit you will lose weight.

This. You'll feel a lot better if you eat better, which could help you push yourself harder during workouts and whatnot. But I can't think of any other reason why the type of food would affect weight loss, provided you're estimating the calories correctly.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys,
    I really just need to conquer my self control issues,
    I have no mediocracy!!!

I think I need to stop with the junk altogether as it turns into a vicious cycle where I then fall off the bandwagon completely and start eating it all too regularly :(

I know that it is all common sense but sometimes you just need to hear it!
    For some people it just works better to cut them out entirely, exactly for the reasons you listed above (self-control/moderation). My wife and I are a perfect example of opposites....I can eat one serving of chips, or one cookie, piece of chocolate, etc. She can't. If it's there, she'll eat it all....every last crumb. So for her sake, we rarely have those kinds of foods/snacks in the house. She does fine without them if they're not there - doesn't have cravings or anything - it's just that if she starts eating them, she can't stop.