How do I get through weekends and still have fun?!?

Options
I am having SO MUCH trouble staying on my diet over the weekends. I do really well during the week and then gain it all back on the weekends. I am such a social person and I love to go out and every single weekend for the next 2 months I have either a party, birthday, trip or event. Can you all share some tips please??

:-)

Replies

• Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Don't make food the reason you are having fun. Eat smaller portions and pick healthier options. Suggest planning social events that are full of activity vs just sitting and eating. Workout a little more before heading out .
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Portion control and try to make the best choices available. Just because everyone else is eating/drinking it doesn't mean you have to too.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be on a diet, you should change your lifestyle. If you want to be healthy you just choose to be healthy. Choose not to put the crap in your mouth. I am a very social person and I just don't eat crap. It is easy if you just decide to be in control of yourself.

(Don't mean this to sound mean, just straight forward... :) )
  • JeNn45nFiT
    JeNn45nFiT Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just plan ahead, exercise, eat smaller portions, maybe save a little extra calories so you don't have to stress so much. :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Workout a little more before heading out .

This. I try and earn my alcohol and food splurge calories via exercise.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    It'll be hard, but you can train yourself to know that fun doesn't have to mean food. You can still enjoy those events without overeating. Enjoy the conversation and don't hang out near the food table. Drink water instead of soda or alcohol, and go ahead and enjoy a piece of cake! Just watch the portion.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If I know I am going to be eating/drinking more than usual I will try to go to the gym that morning and burn some calories so I have more calories to work with that day. Also, portion control.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You can talk and be social and have fun while dancing, walking, etc. Doesn't have to be at the bar surrounded by crappy food and alcohol.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    The weekends are my favorite time but I'm following the Spike diet so Sunday is my day to eat whatever I want and rest. The rest of the week I eat lower calorie so I am still able to lose and not feel deprived. It helps that my husband works Saturdays so I really only have one true weekend day. I have always had some for of cheat day on the weekends through this whole process or I wouldn't have made it through it's just that I wasn't doing it correctly before and maintaining an overall defecit for the week so I had stopped losing. Back on track now!
  • LCarney64
    Options
    People talk about taking weekends off from exercise, but I work my butt off on weekends because my wife and I are also very social. I blew it this weekend as far as what I ate, but I made up for it, and at LEAST broke even by working out even more than usual.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    It is all about portion control and I go out and drink/eat every weekend as well! I get up in the morning and do good work out.

I work out to eat and drink! You don't have to stop living. Don't think of it as a diet. The word die is in diet!

To gain over the weekend you are would have to be consuming large amounts of food and alcohol. Not sure how much you are drinking!

If you are eatting out, get the sauces on the side (if applicable). Whatever you order, cut in 1/2 and ask for a take out box for the other 1/2.

Drink lots of water still! You are probably just retaining water/salt if you are not flushing your body on the weekends.

It is very possible to continue losing weight! we are all different! I have lost over 70 pounds and I never stopped eatting and drinking. I love my Beer!!!!
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain and I workout extra hard before then follow it by lots of water and another tough workout the next day.....not the greatest but I'm realistic in my approach - may not work for others but this is what I do.......
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    this is why I like to zigzag my cals throughout the week. I give myself highest allocation over the weekend then eat less over the week.

So example, I have a total of 13,625 cals per week. Sunday,Monday & Tuesday I have 1928 cals, wed 1735, thursday 1672, Friday 2313 & Saturday 2120.

When you know you have an event, eat light before hand (fruit for breakkie, lean meat & salad for lunch etc) then have your meal without feeling guilty. You still need to have some self control, which is no bad thing but changing your eating habits shouldn't be a chore also when out, make smart choices, jacket potatoe instead of fried, share a small dessert instead of having your own. Lay off the dressings & sauces, have them served on the side & then use half. If at a party with poor choices then just keep control of portion sizes & again, make the smartest choice avaiable.

Basically though, it comes down to your own self control & how badly you want to succeed. :)
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    You can talk and be social and have fun while dancing, walking, etc. Doesn't have to be at the bar surrounded by crappy food and alcohol.

I love this response. So true! But for some, that is what they consider fun.
  • Lojsen
    Lojsen Posts: 8
    Options
    I have the same problem every week-end, but I know the solution!! WORK OUT!

If you know your're going to a party in the evening, do a work out in the gym or go for a long jogg or something during the day. That way you will keep your calorie goal even if you have a few coctails or some wine and a lot of food in the evening.

Then you also have to ask yourself - is it worth it? All this alcohol and food? Do I really have to eat it or do I want to loose the unwanted weight a.s.a.p?
  • kgchisholm
    kgchisholm Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Another thing I do is bring something healthy! I always bring a treat to a party anyway, now it just ensures that there is something I can snack on without dying :) BUT be sure it is something good others will like too.

I like . . .

fruit trays
    veggie trays with dip and yummy hummus (I just avoid the dip and stick to hummus)
    tortilla chips (whole grain, if I can get them) with homemade salsa

Yummmmmmmm
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    The key to weight loss is consistency. If you're not consistent on the weekends compared to the weekdays, don't expect huge results. What it really boils down to is what is more important to you................socializing with food and drink, or losing weight and reaching goal?
    That's not to say that you can't socialize, but you need to set boundaries so you don't keep regaining what you've worked hard for all week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    "Food is fuel NOT a reward."

Write that in a big sharpie and post it whereever in house or car that you feel the most vulnerable. You can have more than one posting of it!!!

Once you get that message, it won't matter where you are - food will not tempt you unless your body needs the fuel. And, the more you learn how to provide the best fuel to your body, the less you will be likely to fuel it with junk.

Good luck! - Debra
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've taken to following a weekly calorie goal (so just my daily allowance x 7) and then I'm super good and do lots of excersize during the week and then at the weekend even though I may be in the red on my daily calorie goal I know that overall for the week I haven't gone over. It seems to be working for me so far and it helps me feel like my life doesn't have to be restricted without me instead feeling guilty for going over.

If you want to stick to daily goals though just, as other people have said, do a lot of excersize that day to earn more calories before you go out and choose the healthiest options in terms of food and drink (it may not be sound health advice but in terms of calories vodka is better than beer for example :wink: )
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Try to pre-log your weekends. Find out where you’re going or what's on the menu at your event. This way you can put it in your journal to view how it will affect your intake for that day.

You can still enjoy what everyone else is eating, but eat half that portion or ask for a more healthy option.