I want to JOG!! Ideas for a beginner :)

Options

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I, personally, HATE the stupid Couch to 5K program and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. My advice is to research marathoner and Olympian, Jeff Galloway',s run/walk interval program. He has a proven program that will take you from non-runner to runner by adding intervals into your runs. This is especially important for beginners who can't run for long periods of time yet. I took 21 minutes off my half marathon time by using the Galloway run/walk method. I recommend that!

What do you hate about it?

As it is recommended by Health service in the UK it seemed like a sensible one to follow.

i like it:bigsmile: BUT it really has anoying music lol :explode:
  • chub_b_gone
    chub_b_gone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Im using a book "Run your butt off" it helps you work up to 30mins of straight jogging at your pace..lots of good informaiton as well about pace and ways to figure out whats best for you..
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I did this last year. Great results!!! Basically, I bought a good pair of running shoes, a sports bra and mapped out some runs around my house by blocking out 1/4 mile increments. I would go out and run as far as I could, then slow to a speed walk until I felt able to run again, then run again. I made sure my running wasn't so fast that I got out of breath, usually my slow downs were due to my legs feeling like they were going to fall off (and starting to stumble a bit). Double checking it at the gym, turns out I run 5.0 mpg which is a 12 min mile.

With time, I was able to go further before slowing down and I was able to go further altogether. When I started, I had just quit smoking after 34 years of it and was unable to run next door. I had to sit down after each 1/4 mile and rest. Eventually, I was able to go 5k with only a couple of walk rests. It didn't do a lot for my weight, but it did miracles for my shape. My butt and thighs changed shape and how my clothes fit improved a great deal.

This year I'm doing zumba and kickboxing for my cardio, just as a change of pace. I still run a mile as a warmup on weight lifting days. Ha! A mile used to be my entire workout. Now it's just my warmup. :bigsmile:

So short answer? Just go do it. There is no secret to starting other than getting out there and doing it.
  • LauraLouIsReady
    Options
    Good running shoes. Get you gait analyzed at a running store. Take your time and listen to your body. Eat a good high protein snack before running. Listen to your body (yes I know I repeated myself). C25K is a good program...they have free podcasts and such to help you with the program. Just take your time and don't over do it. You will be addicted soon!!! :)
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am starting my THIRD week of Couch to 5K .....and I have never, ever, ever, been athletic or even able to run my whole life. (Im 43. ) So far, I have been able to do the intervals that is instructed to do. Try it......and see what happens! If I can do this....Im going to try a harder goal and push myself for more! : ) Best of luck!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Get a good pair of shoes. Start out slowly at a local track or park. Do two minute drills of walking and running for 10 minutes. Don't forget to stretch and have fun! Lots of excellent running for beginners books are out there too!
  • jmaffett
    jmaffett Posts: 68
    Options
    I, personally, HATE the stupid Couch to 5K program and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. My advice is to research marathoner and Olympian, Jeff Galloway',s run/walk interval program. He has a proven program that will take you from non-runner to runner by adding intervals into your runs. This is especially important for beginners who can't run for long periods of time yet. I took 21 minutes off my half marathon time by using the Galloway run/walk method. I recommend that!

Really, it's "stupid"? Clearly you know nothing about it because it IS a run/walk interval program. The program is designed for nine-weeks but you work at your own pace so you add run intervals as you can handle it.

Read their message boards and you'll find tens - if not hundreds - of thousands of people who have learned to run with that program. If you're doing half marathons then you are in an entirely different world than those of us who do not know how to run.

Galloway's program is good and I'm doing it this summer, but it isn't offered everywhere and the Couch to 5k program WORKS, plus you don't need to find a group.
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    Definitely the C25K. I am on week 4. Make sure you have a podcast, much easier than faffing with stopwatch etc. Before I started I did a few months of just going for 40 minute walks as my legs felt so weak! But I am older and hadn't exercised for 8 years after having kids, you could probably start it straight off.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I started with the C25k App ( run double) back in July of 2011 and thought Id die after jogging 30 seconds, Fast forward to this last saterday I ran 12.1 miles non stop. GET good shoes, Stretch well and when they say to start slow, you don't need to run 10 minute miles to begin with. you don't need to jog any faster than you can speed walk in the beginning, just learn good form and go.
  • davegruper
    davegruper Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When I started running years ago I followed the following plan.

Exercise every other day for 30 mins. In the beginning, break the 30 minutes into 3 sets of 10 minutes. The first time, run as long as you can (lets say 5 minutes). So you run for 5 walk for 5 and do that 3 times. The next week run for 6 walk for 4. the next week run for 7 and walk for 3. add 1 minute until you reach 10 minutes. At that point you run for 10 and walk for 5 (2x). I a month or two you will be running for 30 minutes straight.
    Oh, and buy good shoes to prevent injury.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Good sneakers, MP3 Player and runningintoshape.com Carli's C25K prompted running program downloads.... LOVE IT! Used it myself and it saved me from giving up at week 5.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    From my blog: http://competingiswinning.blogspot.com/p/distance_09.html

Running Advice
    Running seems to bring some confusion, especially starting out, so I decided to offer some tips from what I've learned over the years. I used to run with my Dad, in fact I've been one of those on-again off-again runners over the last 10 years or so. My Dad and I ran together for about 3 years before he had to stop due to some personal reasons, but alas, I continue to run and I love it. For faster reading, I've categorized my running tips.

Running Shoes- Spare no expense! Seriously, this is the one piece of equipment you should invest some money on, none of those cheap Walmart crappy shoes for you, regardless of comfort. I can't stress enough the importance of going and getting properly fit by a running store. Fleet Feet Sports does an amazing job, for free, they video tape your stride, slow down the film and watch your foot strike. Then they spend time with you trying on different shoes and analyzing your foot strike. This truly does help prevent injury, and gives you comfort and helps you build up the right muscle groups to support your joints, tendons, bones and shins.

Barefoot theology- I'm not a huge fan. I understand the reasoning behind running barefoot or running in cheap shoes that bring you comfort, but I'm not an extremest. While I understand the reasoning, I believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I believe there is balance here. While barefoot running is gaining popularity and the theory is that shoes have caused more problems than have helped, I've seen where the opposite has also been true. Where having the right shoes has alleviated injury and helped provide the support runners need for their joints, etc. I think barefoot running works for people who have run their entire lives, and not as much for people who are casual runners or haven't run in years or runners who may be overweight.

Days per week of training- I do know people who run every day or run a few times a day, but generally speaking, I believe that every other day or 4 days a week is plenty of running. Running daily is hard on the body. Especially if you are just starting out. I am in huge favor of complimenting running with biking or swimming. On days you don't run, start biking or swimming and build the opposing muscle groups. This too will help support joint health.

Heart Rate: Your body will lie to you! One of the biggest lessons I have learned is that my body will tell me I'm too tired to run and to slow down. I remember this one particular run when I felt that way. I recall thinking that what on earth did I do all day? Well, let's see, I sat in front of my computer and did spreadsheet work all day and hardly left my desk. How could I really be tired? Anyway, I got a really nice heart monitor watch from my husband for Christmas. I decided to start using it and I was feeling so sluggish and tired and I wondered how on earth I'd crank out 7 miles that day. I look down at my heart rate watch and imagine my surprise to see that my heart rate was hardly out of zone 1!!! Immediately I told myself to suck it up and ran harder. Within minutes I was running at about 75-80% of heart rate and making great time. The fatigue almost immediately left me too. I remembered something one of my professors from RIT told me, he said, "The first mile always feels like hell and makes me wonder why I ever started running in the first place." That is so true! The first mile is the hardest and your body will lie to you and tell you that you are too tired. Listen to your heart rate. I have no science on this, truly this is my "arm chair" theory which is, when you sit around all day your metabolism slows down. Sort of like when you wake up in the morning and are sleepy and don't want to get out of bed, but you force yourself to do so anyway. I think this is the same idea. If you work a desk job and are tired when you come home from work, you have to often force yourself to do your run anyway.

Shin Splints- Shin splints is your body's way of telling you that you are taking on too many miles or running to often too quickly. People get going in cardio exercise such as using eliptical machines or spinners and have the cardio capacity to run, but give little to no thought about how this will affect their body. It takes a lot longer to build tendon, joint and bone strength than it does cardio strength. So, these folks go right out and start running 3-5 miles and then wonder why they have shin splints, muscle soreness and aches and pains. When you first start running you need to remember that you are mostly walking. I love the couch potato to 5K running program and I highly recommend it. If you are an overweight runner, it is ok to run, it really and truly is, but just take your time working up to your mileage and continue to lose weight. Running will help you reach your weight goals.

Stretching- Stretching is good to do after your body is warmed up and not while your body is cold. Stretching helps prevent injury but also helps you run faster. Some people do stretch out while their muscles are cold and there is some evidence to suggest this may cause injury. As for me, I like to do 30 or 40 jumping jacks then stretch out before my run, or I'll do a slow 1/4 mile jog then stretch out. After running, I'm a huge fan of getting on my stationary bike and spinning for 15 minutes, it really helps loosen you up, try it!

Bursitis- What would I be if I didn't talk about this? Bursitis is a huge issue that I have in both of my hips, more so in my left than my right. Bursitis is inflammation in the joints that loves to hit me around mile 2. Then I get to run with a dull pain sometimes with some level of intensity for the remainder of my run. It got so bad at one point, it would keep me awake at night. The doctor told me to use ice, ibuprofen and stretch out good after a run. None of these things have worked for me. But, I have great news, I have found what works for me and maybe it will work for you too. After I complete my run, I immediately jump on my bike and spin for 15-30 minutes. The longer I ride my bike the better my hip feels. Or, if the opportunity is available, I jump in the pool and swim 50 laps. Something about swimming and biking really helps reduce the inflammation and virtually eliminates 100% of the joint pain. My Bursitis was so bad I went to a chiropractor who recommended a shoe fitting. I took his advice and the combination of the right running shoes and a short bike or swim after my run has all but eliminated my problems. I hope this works for you too. Happy running!
  • EmilyDezo
    EmilyDezo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am a strong supporter for the couch 2 5K program. I didt this and I LOVE running now. I never imagined I would say that. I'm not great, but I am working my way up! I also bought a NIKE chip to work with my IPOD touch and that helps calculate distance ran and stuff like that. I love everything about it.GOOD LUCK!
  • LauraLouIsReady
    Options
    I did this last year. Great results!!! Basically, I bought a good pair of running shoes, a sports bra and mapped out some runs around my house by blocking out 1/4 mile increments. I would go out and run as far as I could, then slow to a speed walk until I felt able to run again, then run again. I made sure my running wasn't so fast that I got out of breath, usually my slow downs were due to my legs feeling like they were going to fall off (and starting to stumble a bit). Double checking it at the gym, turns out I run 5.0 mpg which is a 12 min mile.

With time, I was able to go further before slowing down and I was able to go further altogether. When I started, I had just quit smoking after 34 years of it and was unable to run next door. I had to sit down after each 1/4 mile and rest. Eventually, I was able to go 5k with only a couple of walk rests. It didn't do a lot for my weight, but it did miracles for my shape. My butt and thighs changed shape and how my clothes fit improved a great deal.

This year I'm doing zumba and kickboxing for my cardio, just as a change of pace. I still run a mile as a warmup on weight lifting days. Ha! A mile used to be my entire workout. Now it's just my warmup. :bigsmile:

So short answer? Just go do it. There is no secret to starting other than getting out there and doing it.

Awesome job!!! And the butt and leggs thing is true!! It's very "uplifting" lol
  • robdowns
    robdowns Posts: 9
    Options
    Remember to stretch, Try and do 11-12 min miles but as fast as feel comfortable. I used to try and keep up with other runners Try twice a week on the same days and get into a routine. Your body need to get used to the trauma of running don't do too much too fast. and I say again streatch I didnt for a while and got lots of pain the the kness when the milage went up. I stretched and its all gone. look into fore foot midfoot running as heel striking really gives your body a pounding if you have extra weight. Good luck
  • lyddsmom
    lyddsmom Posts: 96
    Options
    I have just started jogging. I just go for as long as I can and then walk until I get my breath and then begin jogging again. Each time I go out I am able to lengthen my actual jogging periods. I started out only being able to jog for 5 minutes at a time. I can now jog for almost 15 minutes before stopping. I usually jog/walk for 30 minutes. Just do it!
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    As a person who at one time weighed almost 300 lbs there is no way that I could have followed that program of running for 30 minutes straight in 9 weeks. I think it offers unrealistic expectations for obese people. Yes, I know you can repeat weeks and go as fast or as slow as you need to go, but often people get so frustrated because they feel they're going too slow. Plus, it also could make a person feel defeated if they have to repeat a week. But this is just my opinion.

What do you hate about it?

As it is recommended by Health service in the UK it seemed like a sensible one to follow.
  • breasmom
    breasmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I tried the couch to 5k app and I didn't like it. I just loaded up on good music and I would jog to every other song. Now I can jog 15-20 minutes straight without stopping and I am on week 3. My trainer also told me to find a pace that I could maintain, and not to start out too fast. My jog is slow but it is steady. Good luck!
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    1. Get properly fitted for running shoes. Even if money is tight, GOOD running shoes are a MUST or don't bother.

2. Wear comfortable attire, a good sports bra etc

3. A good playlist always keeps me motivated.

4. As far as distance and amount of time...if you can comfortably workout for 30mins, let's say, then make that your goal. Run a bit, walk a bit, run a bit... for 30 minutes.

I highly suggest running outside, the treadmill is dreadful, I only use that as a last resort.

Good Luck!!!