exercising in a.m. before breakfast

Options
I know a lot of people exercise in the morning before breakfast and I have read about the benefits of this, but when I attempt this I hit a wall in about 15-20 minutes, I become fatiqued and sweat more. Does this happen to anyone else?? This is why I eat something before I go out in the a.m. now.

Replies

• Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I walk 4-5 mornings a week with my dog, walking or jog/walking 2.5-3 miles and maintaining a 4 mph pace..... in the tx humidity, so yes, I sweat A LOT! lol Although I don't know if I sweat "more" than when I go to the gym in the afternoons.

I do not eat before my morning walks, though.... just rollout of bed, dress, grab my moose (72 ln dog) and go
  • screamingsoftly
    Options
    I try to eat a little something with protein before I hit the gym in the morning. Typically it'll just be a piece of toast with peanut butter or a handful of almonds but I find this helps me last longer.

When I get back then I'll eat my full breakfast
  • lynnie25
    lynnie25 Posts: 93
    Options
    i find that i have to have something before a workout or i cant last threw it..
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    a lot of the fitness pro's will suggest eating before exercising. even if just a tbsp of PB or a kashi bar.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I usually do either yoga and/or pilates in the morning for about 30 minutes. Gets the blood flowing and the stretches in so it's worked out good for me so far. When I belonged to a gym I'd usually have a bottle of water and a zone bar or protein bar of some sort before the work out. It's been a while since I actually did a hard work out in the morning so, I wonder if I could still do it heh heh ;-)

I'd say try a few mornings with some different protein/carbs prior to working out and see how it goes.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I do both. I have something before I go out for a morning run and I have something once I get home and have showered. I do this mainly because my stomach is growling when I get up so I can't just ignore it and go running... and afterwards cause once I have had my shower it is grumbling again. The rest of my day is pretty normal though.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    You will probably need to experiment and see what works best for you and your body. Some days I do not have any trouble getting up and exercising before breakfast and some mornings I have to grab something because I wake-up starving. Do what works for you!
  • denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options
    I wake up at 4am to work out in the morning, before eating, also. More sweat, I couldn't tell you because I sweat a LOT regularly!! If I'm not sweating, then I'M not working hard enough!!! :bigsmile:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Try the eating before thing, it may or may not help. I know I personally can't eat within an hour or two of working out because if I do, it makes me nauseous and all reflux-y.
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in the mornings and can run 5-8 miles easy w/ out eating. I don't have time to eat before hand because I would have to wake up at like 4 to process my food and plus I have not really felt all that god if I ate. I usually have a good breakfast after my workouts, though.
  • 08sweek
    08sweek Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Be careful with this, especially if you know you are prone to having low iron. I have to eat something with protein early in the morning to not become fatigued, especially if I get up and exercise in the morning. A few years ago I began having blackouts early to mid morning, and my doctor told me that I had an iron deficiency in the mornings which will cause fatigue and eventually blackouts becuase iron is necesary to push oxygen through your blood stream to your muscles.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people exercise in the morning before breakfast and I have read about the benefits of this, but when I attempt this I hit a wall in about 15-20 minutes, I become fatiqued and sweat more. Does this happen to anyone else?? This is why I eat something before I go out in the a.m. now.

i COMPLETELY DISAGREE! You should eat at least a snack before you exercise in the morning! You body needs energy, people think that if you don't put any food in your body that you'll be burning more fat and it's false. Your body goes into starvation mode and slows everything down so not only wiil you "hit the wall" and not get as much time into your workout, you probably didn't benefit from it as much either. Try eating a hard boiled egg or a peice of fruit before your workout and then finish breakfast after