how to get your abs and arm muscles to start showing!!!!

Options
OKAY SO IVE LOST MY GOAL WEIGHT AND DROPPED IT DOWN 5 MORE POUNDS!!!!!

BUT WHEN ARE THE RIPPED ARMS AND ABS OF STEEL GOING TO TAKE PLACE???

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I JUST FINISHED 30DAYSHRED NOW DOING RIPPED IN 30, THEN EXTREME SHED AND SHRED, THEN 6 WEEK 6 PACK ABS,THEN KILLER BUNS AND THIGHS, THEN SHRED IT WITH WEIGHTS,

WILL I SEE THEM THEN?
BTW SORRY ABOUT THE HAIR JUST GOT DONE WORKING OUT!

DO I NEED TO BE TAKING SOMETHING TO SHOW MORE CUTS AND DEFINITION?
417303_2600938996255_1638228077_1773391_1452058264_n-1.gif

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Probably when you start lifting. And perhaps eating better.

You have to have muscles in order for them to show, which means lifting heavy and eating protein.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It's all about % body fat. Definition comes when you get that number low enough to see the muscles underneath.

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/05/11/how-to-get-ripped-and-cut/

The article is aimed mainly at men but the theory applies to both sexes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    When your bodyfat levels are low enough. I'll tell you first hand I've never met anyone who had a 6 pack or chisled arms who DIDN'T do some serious weight training along with cardio. If you're concentrating mostly on cardio based exercise, it's going to be really hard to get that 6 pack and the arms. Cardio based exercise programs have a tendency to burn lean muscle tissue which is why it's good to have a combination of both a good strength and cardio exercise program together. And I'm not talking the "pink dumbells" for doing squats with!!! Lift some heavy *kitten* weights!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SexyLexy83
    SexyLexy83 Posts: 340
    Options
    WELL CURRENTLY I AM 22.1 PERCENT BODY FAT AND I AM 5'3 WHEN I STARTED I WAS 25.4 BODY FAT AND I AM USING 5 LBS STEEL WEIGHTS BUT I HAVE 10 LBS STEEL WEIGHTS

FOR MY BIRTHDAY IM GETTING A WEIGHT SYSTEM, SO THEN WILL I TELL AND PROTEIN ?

SHOULD I BE DRINKING PROTEIN SHAKES OR WHAT?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    When your bodyfat levels are low enough. I'll tell you first hand I've never met anyone who had a 6 pack or chisled arms who DIDN'T do some serious weight training along with cardio. If you're concentrating mostly on cardio based exercise, it's going to be really hard to get that 6 pack and the arms. Cardio based exercise programs have a tendency to burn lean muscle tissue which is why it's good to have a combination of both a good strength and cardio exercise program together. And I'm not talking the "pink dumbells" for doing squats with!!! Lift some heavy *kitten* weights!

IDEA Fitness member

^^^^^^^^
    THIS.

You need to lift weights heavier than what you have. If you think about it, your purse or bag probably weigh close to what your weights do and you can carry them around all day. The weight amount needs to be challenging you beyond your normal ability.

Just a note to the OP, typing in all capital letters makes it difficult to read your posts.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

this again :)

Many of the "6 pack" women are lower then 22 percent bf. Think of ranges below 20. A number are closer to 18 or even less.

I am just now "starting" to see good definition on arms and abs and legs, (where strangers see it an comment) and I lift pretty heavy, three days a week, and also do cardio. But I also have a focused weight training program, that allows me to lift heavy weights at a lower rep range. But I had to lower bodyfat to "see" anything, not just feel it. (and I still have a long way to go, in lowering bf)

I don't know my BF, as no accurate way to measure it, but figure I am at about 22-23 range

I have at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass daily, and that includes protein shakes, along with food sources. Aim for .5 to 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. (I aim for 90-100 grams a day)

I also must be careful not to be to low on calories, if you are cutting calories to low, you will not be building muscle.

I am 5'2 inches. I am lifting 20-50 lb dumbells constantly with good form.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Like niner said, if you keep doing just cardio you'll keep loosing fat AND muscle. The muscles can't show if they aren't there. But most women don't have a 6-pack until they get down to the mid-teens for body fat levels.

I would suggest a heavy lifting program that includes the big lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench press and rows. New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women is a great read but I'm not a huge fan of the diet or the lifting program past stage 1. I've heard good things about Starting Strength. I just started Strong Lifts.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Like niner said, if you keep doing just cardio you'll keep loosing fat AND muscle. The muscles can't show if they aren't there. But most women don't have a 6-pack until they get down to the mid-teens for body fat levels.

I would suggest a heavy lifting program that includes the big lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench press and rows. New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women is a great read but I'm not a huge fan of the diet or the lifting program past stage 1. I've heard good things about Starting Strength. I just started Strong Lifts.

^^^^New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women is an excellent read. It really gets down to the common sense of how to build strong muscles.
    You are going to have to lift, and lift heavy. 10 pounds isn't going to cut it either, it's just the beginning. We're talking about heavy lifting. For instance, I'm working up in weight, and I'm leg pressing 235 pounds. Still a lightweight all considered. I'd rather be doing more real lifting, but I am recovering from tendonitis in my wrist and can't even hold 3 pound dumbbells right now. I still have to figure out how to get in with the free weights around all the frat boys at the gym...
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It's all about % body fat. Definition comes when you get that number low enough to see the muscles underneath.

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/05/11/how-to-get-ripped-and-cut/

The article is aimed mainly at men but the theory applies to both sexes.

That was a good read! thanks for that.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    you look very toned to me. It takes a long time to get "ripped"... What exactly are you expecting to happen lol? If you want to get "ripped" using your own words, then you need to start lifting heavy.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    A) Why are you yelling at us?

B) I started to see definition once my bf% got to 19.
  • runner_girl_120
    Options
    Yupp. Mine didn't start showing until about 15% bf
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Good question~ helpful answers ;)
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes and lean meats like chicken and pork and some cuts of beef. Fish is a great source of it too. Whey protein powders for shakes should be seen as a supplement and not your only intake source of protein.
  • andthenwhat
    andthenwhat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Besides weight training, which is super important, abs are made in the kitchen! What you eat is what determines your body fat percentage.

Clean is the way to go. If it's packaged, processed, sugary, or preserved it is taking you farther away from your goals.

The clean kind of nutrition is whole foods, fresh veggies and fruits, lean proteins like chicken breast, turkey, and bison, and complex carbs like sweet potatoes and brown rice. Very unexciting food, but it will give you a very exciting body!

Also, when you start eating this way, you will notice you can eat more for not that many calories. Many fitness competitors eat 6 timed meals a day of these kinds of foods to keep their metabolisms fired up.
  • StevenLongtin
    Options
    if you're looking to pack protein into your diet while keeping it low on calories, this post packs a huge punch

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506340-milkshake-recipe-37g-of-protein

also, I'm a meat cutter for Safeway
    the leanest cut of beef with the highest protein value is tenderlion, but if you don't have the big money to spend, then I suggest Top Sirloin or possibly eye of round (yuck lol)
    also as mentioned above, chicken, specificly breasts. Fish, Pink and Sockeye salmon pack a lot of protein as well as other goodies while remaining lean.

best of luck!
  • adamsilva
    adamsilva Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    before you do every Fitness DVD under the sun think about this.

like the posters say. 80% diet 20% gym

get down to 10% BF or under will show.

Eat in a moderate deficit
    1g protein per lb LBM
    .35 - .45 g fat per lb of Body weight
    Work out 3 x per week - lifting heavy

Start lifting HEAVY. Deadlifts and squats.

check this clip out look at the physique of a women deadlifting heavy (2xBW) http://youtu.be/gujO4xYSAdo

good luck.
  • Barribomb
    Barribomb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    checking out this link now...
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    First off these people know what they are talking about listen to them
    Getting ripped isnt over night and you must be lifting and have a lower body fat %
    I did both the JM dvd's you are doing and I got "toned" but now Im lifting heavy (which means as heavy as I can can with good form)
    And I like it a lot more , and already feeling stronger and looking smaller
    If you want to get ripped stop doing Jillian Michaels (she is great but its not gonna get u ripped) Start lifting heavier weights a good site to check out is bodybuilding.com
    Oh and most important "abs are made in the kitchen" eat lean and clean..the less processed the better...dont eat too few calories
    you look great BTW be happy with that and you will be able to succeed at getting "ripped"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    if you're looking to pack protein into your diet while keeping it low on calories, this post packs a huge punch

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506340-milkshake-recipe-37g-of-protein

also, I'm a meat cutter for Safeway
    the leanest cut of beef with the highest protein value is tenderlion, but if you don't have the big money to spend, then I suggest Top Sirloin or possibly eye of round (yuck lol)
    also as mentioned above, chicken, specificly breasts. Fish, Pink and Sockeye salmon pack a lot of protein as well as other goodies while remaining lean.

best of luck!
    I love my Safeway. For me my favorite to eat is flanken ribs. They have more calories, but with my marinade it's worth it!!!

IDEA Fitness member
This discussion has been closed.