What did I do wrong?

Options
Yesterday I did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred for the first time. Before I started I even did a little Zumba Cardio to warm up. Then I did the level one of the 30DS.

Today my legs are so sore but I don't think it's the right kind of sore. It hurts and my husband has said after working out it should "burn" not be stiff and painful.

Did I not stretch enough or is this just how her 30DS makes you feel?

Replies

• Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tlively13
    Tlively13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt when you move?
  • Alexstrasza
    Options
    Does it hurt when you move?

Yea and it hurts really bad to stand up or sit down. I feel like crying when I have to try and sit back down after getting up.
  • Davetaylor77
    Options
    Its more likely that you've used muscles that you don't use often hence the soreness when you move. Its completely normal and the soreness will fade away within 2/3 days. Your body will adapt/become stronger so it will become easier allowing you to progress on to tougher exercises.

Best thing is to rest and gentle stretch, don't force the stretch as it may result in injury.

Good Job!
  • jhehle
    jhehle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    After doing day 1 of JM's 30DS it hurt like h*** to go up and down stairs and was so difficult to even sit on the potty. My legs were super sore. I figure it's just because im not use to using those muscles.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Did you do a lot of squats and/or lunges? When I first started working out I took some classes (not 30 DS) that made me do a TON of squats/lunges and more than once it was TERRIBLE trying to sit down & get back up. The toilet was the worst. My leg muscles were so sore they were sore to the touch. Heating pad/ice/ibuprofen are your friends. If it doesn't get better in a couple days go to a doctor or at least call a nurse practitioner for advice.

Also don't give up on squats/lunges if they're the culprit! You'll get stronger and be able to keep up - trust me if I can do it you can do it!
  • Meddy450
    Meddy450 Posts: 23
    Options
    The first time I did the shred, I was in some serious pain the next day. It took a while for my body to adjust. I always get that kind of painful "cant move without crying" sore after I start a circuit training routine when I haven't worked out for a while. (I've had this experience every time I would try to start Jackie's Power Circuit training video every couple months before I became serious about exercising in Jan. and stuck with it. Before Jan. I used to "start to workout" evey every two months and the stop after a week. Ha.) It's like the workout totally shocks my system each and every time.

If its really really bad, I would take a break for day. Or take a walk instead of doing the shred. But if you stick with the workout it will eventually get better (It just might get worse before it gets better). Good luck! Maybe take an ice bath?? lol
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    If you really need to, you can tak ibuprofen for the pain. You will be SORE...when I was weight training I used to almost roll out of bed and sit really quickly on the toiled seat to avoid as much pain as possible. If your pain last for more than 3-2 days to where it's unbearable then something is wrong. For now, just light strech, plenty of water!!
  • Alexstrasza
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I was worried I was just a wuss because I was cringing everytime I had to use the toilet, lol.

I'm going to take a break from the DVD today and just take my kids to the park, hopefully chasing them around will help stretch things out.
  • Embell0830
    Embell0830 Posts: 105
    Options
    I've never done the 30DS, but I do a lot of dancing and kickboxing. I find if I don't stretch out really well afterwards and drink plenty of water I am super stiff especially in my ankles and hamstrings.

Has it been awhile since you've done an intensive workout (my understanding is 30DS is really intense)? Is it your muscles that hurt or your joints? If you haven't done something that intense in awhile and you pushed to hard, could be your body telling you to take it down a notch.

I would try a little light stretching just to see how your feel and drink plenty of water. Anytime that you do any sort of workout video, you should always stretch out more afterwards especially if it's intense.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    After my first day, I HURT! But I just did it again the next day. Using the "beginner" modifications. And again the 3rd day. By the 4th day I didn't hurt anywhere as bad, and could do the "advanced" movements again.
    When I say hurt, I mean I could barely make it up and down the stairs. Standing and sitting made me cry. But after a few days it goes away and gets so much easier! I haven't gotten into level 2 yet, because of all the plank/pushup position stuff and bad tendonitis in my writs. But level 1 is too easy now!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Absolutely normal with 30DS. Trust me, in day 5 or 6, you won't remember how bad this feels, because you have such a rapid improvement in your fitness on 30DS. Enjoy it!! And in the meantime have a nice soak for the hurting legs. i sympathize - i've been there!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred for the first time. Before I started I even did a little Zumba Cardio to warm up. Then I did the level one of the 30DS.

Today my legs are so sore but I don't think it's the right kind of sore. It hurts and my husband has said after working out it should "burn" not be stiff and painful.

Did I not stretch enough or is this just how her 30DS makes you feel?

Its probably from the exercising. My daughter and I bounced on those swiss balls for like 2 hours one day just watching tv and the next day my legs hurt so bad I could barely stand up. If hubby is a good guy have him massage your muscles really well and then stretch and oddly enough try some squats or lunges to loosen the muscles back up. The longer you sit idle the tighter they are going to get. Good luck! You might also try an anti-inflammatory and of course plenty of water.
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water, make sure you are getting enough potassium and soak in a warm bath. 30DS is a hard work out give it a couple of days before you give it another go.
  • choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    delayed onset muscle soreness (doms) is normal after a new workout...you may even be more sore tomorrow (sorry!) WATER, WATER, WATER & STRETCH! its due to build up of lactic acid in your muscles...gotta pump it out! good workout today maybe just a nice walk :)
    best wishes to you on your journey!
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It's normal to be sore when you're first starting out.

Try to eat/drink a bit of protein within 30 minutes after working out... this will help a little with the DOMS...
  • ninaquelinda
    Options
    I love being sore after a good workout, it tells me I really worked those muscles!
  • Rahul_ahuja
    Options
    Ermmm i would say you might hv got shin splints
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Does it hurt especially right above your knees? I haven't done 30DS, but that's where I had a lot of discomfort when I was doing squats wrong with another similar exercise. Be sure to shift your weight onto your heels instead of your toes. If you're on your toes too much, it hurts your quads. If you're on your heels, it targets your glutes like it's supposed to.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Thats what happens when you are sore. I have been so sore I limp like crazy when I walk. Being super sore is just fine, you'll be back to normal in a few days.