Egg and Cholesterol

Options

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Sometimes eating bad becomes habit - learn new habits and the weight will stay off.
    Yokes = bad. No getting around that.

That's just reality, but do what you want.
    Good Luck!

Incorrect - all the latest studies into eggs have reversed the previous thoughts on egg yolks. That is studies by governments and health authorities in several countries. If you have high cholesterol then speak to your Dr but make sure your Dr is reading from NEW health guidelines not the outdated ones...or better still see a certified dietician
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites. It gives you the same satisfaction without all the choles. and calories.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Obese people trying to lose weight need to err on the side of caution. I can cite junk science for anything, including coffee and chocolate.

For what it's worth, you have my permission to eat egg yokes....lol

Have a few for me!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Obese people trying to lose weight need to err on the side of caution. I can cite junk science for anything, including coffee and chocolate.

Have a few for me!

Utter nonsense. And why do think studies supporting benefits of coffee and chocolate are "junk science"? Because they conflict with your misinformed beliefs?

You're wrong. Face it. Admit it an learn something, or spend life with your head stuck up your *kitten*. Your choice.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Have a few for me!

AGAIN... WHAT IS SO BAD ABOUT EGG YOLKS THAT PREVENTS WEIGHT LOSS in someone who is meeting daily calorie goals?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Have a few for me!

Funny you mention "junk science," as it's the "junk science" that said egg yolks are bad in the first place. Real, clinical, nutrition research is in agreement that whole eggs (including the yolk) are one of the best sources of nutrition a person can get, and egg whites are pretty much a waste to eat on their own.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Have a few for me!

Utter nonsense. And why do think studies supporting benefits of coffee and chocolate are "junk science"? Because they conflict with your misinformed beliefs?

You're wrong. Face it. Admit it an learn something, or spend life with your head stuck up your *kitten*. Your choice.

Y u mad bro?
  • slayerdan
    Options
    I eat three whole eggs either boiled or panfried(nonstick pan/no oil) 5 days a week. The other two days i eat hummus. Both are great protein.

My cholesterol is 145 and has never been over 162 the first time it was tested when I was 35. As bad a rep as eggs get sometimes, your genetics have a bigger play in it than the eggs do. So have your cholesterol checked and go from there monitoring it. Eggs are cheap, protein rich, and have a myriad of uses.
  • You can get the egg whites or Egg Beaters at your local grocer. They're the healthy kind of egg that has no cholesterol, no fat, and half the calories of a regular egg. The protien amount remains the same as well.

I do have a question though: high cholesterol runs in my family. What is considered a healthy range of cholesterol?
  • slayerdan
    Options
    Depends on hdl or ldl, but in general anything over 200 is considered dangerous, but I would strive to lower below 170, and make sure the hdl/ldl ratio is good as well.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    You can get the egg whites or Egg Beaters at your local grocer. They're the healthy kind of egg that has no cholesterol, no fat, and half the calories of a regular egg. The protien amount remains the same as well.

These are the ingredients in Egg Beaters:

Egg Whites, Less than 1%: Natural Flavor, Color (Includes Beta Carotene), Spices, Salt, Onion Powder, Vegetable Gums (Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum), Maltodextrin. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Sulfate, Iron (Ferric Phosphate), Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol Acetate), Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Mononitrate), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3

Thickeners, sweetener (the maltodextrin), and a whole lot of vague "spices" and "natural flavor".

Oh, and they also had to add a bunch of vitamins and minerals to replace those naturally found in an egg yolk.

So, no, I'm going to have to disagree that Egg Beaters are 'the healthy kind of egg." They're actually the kind of "egg" created in a lab.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    You can get the egg whites or Egg Beaters at your local grocer. They're the healthy kind of egg that has no cholesterol, no fat, and half the calories of a regular egg. The protien amount remains the same as well.

These are the ingredients in Egg Beaters:

Egg Whites, Less than 1%: Natural Flavor, Color (Includes Beta Carotene), Spices, Salt, Onion Powder, Vegetable Gums (Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum), Maltodextrin. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Sulfate, Iron (Ferric Phosphate), Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol Acetate), Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Mononitrate), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3

Thickeners, sweetener (the maltodextrin), and a whole lot of vague "spices" and "natural flavor".

Oh, and they also had to add a bunch of vitamins and minerals to replace those naturally found in an egg yolk.

So, no, I'm going to have to disagree that Egg Beaters are 'the healthy kind of egg." They're actually the kind of "egg" created in a lab.
    Keep in mind that most people that have a problem with fat and cholesterol will promote these options, which I agree with you, are not better, actually I would never consider eating them, ever.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    pre-birds are delicious.

Eggs are fine. There have been studies to prove that the cholesterol in eggs is not harmful unless you have a condition where your cholesterol is abnormally high.

Eggbeaters are full of chemicals.

Just eat eggs. Yolks contain vitamins and minerals.

Egg whites alone are disgusting. Rubbery grossness. =)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Maltodextrin is basically another way of saying corn starch.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

Have a few for me!

WOW!!!!!!!!
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to say that yesterday ate about 5 eggs and I felt great. But today, probably I should just eat 4 at most. Like some of you said here, moderation is the key. I'll try to control myself.

Thanks a lot for clarifications. I'll try to get my cholesterol tested out again in the near future just to make sure everything is fine.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you're obsessed with one kind of food, that may be more of a problem than whether that food is eggs or pork or laundry starch or strips of newspaper. While you're at your doctor getting your cholesterol checked, show him/her your food diary and make sure you're eating enough of everything else to be healthy, and make sure you don't have any nutritional deficiencies that are causing weird cravings.
  • airica26
    airica26 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Man, hungry people get really angry. Viva la eggs!
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options

I do have a question though: high cholesterol runs in my family. What is considered a healthy range of cholesterol?

I think it is important to note that while western medicine dictates that total cholesterol should be under 200 and focuses heavily on the ratio of good and bad cholesterol, the Framingham Heart Study found that no one (in their study) with total cholesterol under 160 developed heart disease whatsoever.

I personally shoot for 150 and under. (145 last time I checked, but I get new results tomorrow!)
  • Cmh1211
    Cmh1211 Posts: 104
    Options
    i didnt read all the comments just cuz im lazy and dont wanna burn to many calories reading but.....

some ppl are taking her question out of context... i eat eggs EVERY SINGLE DAY no matter what. i love them and have been eating them since i was a child EVERY SINGLE DAY no matter what. so when u take a person like her (OP) or me it IS bad to have 3, or in my case 4, egg yolks every single day. he said he loves eggs. for someone that loves eggs like we love eggs its more beneficial to stay away from the yolks. or u can try what i do, sometimes ill eat one yolk and toss the others.