Runners - tell me about your strength training!

Options
I'm running my first 10k in a few months, after being nothing more than a very occasional two-mile-runner for a long time. In addition, I know I should be working on getting more muscle mass. I understand that there are some exercises that would be beneficial to runners - correct?

Yesterday I had my one free personal training session that I got for joining my gym, and then the trainer wanted to talk me into $800 of additional sessions to get ready for my race. No thank you! I'd rather take my chances with what I can find on the internet and in books.

So in short: Do you have a strength routine? Do you have a book or a website I can recommend for new strength exercise routines? I prefer floor exercises (lunges, pushups, etc.) to machines.

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I, like you, never used to run more than a mile or two at a time. 3 miles was torture.

I did my first 10k last fall and am training for my first half marathon, which is in less than 2 months.

I didn't do anything special to prep for the 10k, but am now working with a trainer to ready myself for the Half. I do strength training with her 2x's/week and cardio another 3x's/ week.

My longest run right now is 8.7 miles, which is HUGE for me. I never used to be able to run that far. I know my legs are stronger, but I think my increased performance is due to a combination of factors: 1) I weigh less. 2) I'm stronger overall (we do upper body one day and lower the next) 3) My lungs are in the best shape of my life 4) I do a lot of core exercises.

I think there's more to it than just strengthening the legs. It's a package deal.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I keep it very simple. I don't have a home gym (yet, thinking about it once I get the garage cleaned out) and work/kids keeps me from getting to the actual gym, so just about everything I do is body-weight resistance.

I follow the Nerd Fitness's Beginner Body Weight Workout (http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/) and I've added in dumbell curls, situps and a couple pull-ups at the end of the workout (hey! I can only do a couple! But I'm getting better!)

The workout (with my modifications), four-five sets:
    30 jumping jacks
    20 body weight squats
    10 push ups
    20 lunges
    10 dumbbell rows
    10 bicep curls
    30 second plank
    20 situps
    30 seconds - 1 minute rest

There's articles out on Runner's World and a couple other websites about core strength and the impact it has on running (improved posture over longer periods, injury prevention, etc). Google can help more than I have time to do right now.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Yes. Yesss it does.

3x a week

Day 1 - legs. Eight exercises.
    Start - 15 min cardio to warm up
    3x10 lunges
    3x10 squat jumps (you squat down, then you leap up)
    3x10 block climbers with weight (you hold dumbells, you climb up and down off of a block)
    3x10 quad extensions
    3x10 calf extensions
    3x10 hamstring curls
    3x10 squats
    3x10 leg press
    End - 15 min cardio

Day 2 - upper body
    3x10 bench press
    3x10 pec flys
    3x10 bicep curl
    3x10 tricep extension
    3x15 pushups
    3x15 flutter kicks
    3x10 seated rows
    3x10 incline row
    End - 15 min cardio

Day 3 - all over
    3x10 incline bench
    3x15 pushup
    3x15 flutter kick
    3x15 incline situp with medicine ball
    3x10 lat pull down
    3x10 shoulder press
    3x10 seated row
    3x10 flys
    End - 15 min cardio

Two - Three times a week - 4-6 mile run. One of those runs 6-8 miles.

That's its training workout. If it is running 10k push 4-6 miles to 5 - 6 miles and push one run to 8-11 miles
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I love resistant training. Lunges,squats,leg toning exercises. I do planks,side planks,superman pose, sit ups, crunches, push ups, calf exercises, And lots of stretching. It's really important for runners to be flexible. Keep those hamstrings flexible and the Iliotibial band flexible and strong(ITB). Strengthen that core and your back. Google exercises that help prevent runners injuries. Don't worry about muscle mass but work on being flexible and strengthen that core!
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    There is no reason not to do a comprehensive barbell training scheme whilst being a runner. All runners should be looking to Deadlift, Squat and Lunge at the very least IMO
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I do the 5x5 program, but that's not really a "runner's" routine. It's a strength training routine I do more for body composition goals than for running goals. To become a better runner I simply run more.

For what it's worth.
  • brandysilvers
    brandysilvers Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do strength training 6 days a week for about 40 mins. To shorten the time you could split the core workout into a separate day or just cut the core portion in half.

Day 1 Lower body/core
    2x12 Bridge marches
    2x12 Russian Dead lift (for each leg)
    2x12 exercise ball hamstring curl
    2x12 single leg step-up (for each leg)
    2x30 calf raises
    2x12 bridge leg lift (for each leg)
    2x12 clam shell leg lift (for each leg)
    2x12 squats with dumbbells
    2x12 reverse lunges (for each leg)
    Core exercises
    15 cross body crunches
    15 straight leg crunches
    15 reverse crunches
    1 min plank
    15 prone ball curl
    30 russian twists
    15 woodchops w medicine ball (each side)

Day 2 Upper
    2x20 pushups
    2x5 pull ups or 30sec flexed arm hang
    2x15 exercise ball chest press with dumbbell
    2x15 shoulder press with dumbbell
    2x15 standing row with dumbbell
    2x15 standing dumbbell curl
    2x15 dips
    2x10 lateral arm raises
    Repeat core exercises from day one

since I started this program I have really seen an improvement on my strength on hill repeats. As a nice side benefit my whole body is looking really toned too.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I lift 1x per week with a trainer. The place I go trains the bulk of the Olympic qualifiers for 10k-marathon in my area so I think they know what they are doing. The workouts are total body and about 45 mins long and focus on muscle failure. I don't do multiple sets of anything.
  • jenniakers
    Options
    bump