running solo...

Options
gecho
gecho Posts: 426 Member
So i've always hated running but reading different posts, blogs, comments whatever and going off of my own topic i posted a while back I'm giving it a shot (c25k) :smile:

and i actually did my first day and really kinda enjoyed it. Until.:frown:

Until my friends at work started talking about how i needed to be careful running by myself with stories of why...:frown:

until my family warned me to be careful running by myself...:frown:

until my husband said i don't like the thought of you out there by yourself (but still he didn't come with me go figure:grumble: )

I had so many warnings about being careful that by the time i got home i was jumping at every shadow.
I took my pepper spray with me, which TBH was more in case there was a loose doggy that didn't want me running there. but i was a bit freaked out by the time i got home. so now i'm a bit bugged.

whats a girl to do? I don't live in a bad neighborhood but it's not among the best either. It's off of a very busy street with lots of 'unique' looking people. Yes i know i'm judging but seriously can you blame me?

Replies

• sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I run solo all the time, I work at a very isolated place and usually run at lunch. I just let my co-workers know where I am heading and they know that if I don't make it back with in an hours something went wrong. There is usually a trail I take where I can run into horses, cows, and people fishing but I am never really worried. I think that pepper spray and changing up your routine (taking different paths) will help with that because IF someone is watcing you and you change up your paths all the time it makes you less of a target cause you are so unpredictable ;)
  • nickyeatrunread
    nickyeatrunread Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I generally run alone and I like in the city of Columbus, which is fairly safe. Still, I only run in daylight and usually run in pretty populous, neighborhood areas. Sometimes I'll take my dog.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I mostly run in residential areas or a neighborhood park, with a few trail runs in the woods, where I've never seen another person. Since no one is ever there, I highly doubt some serial killer is lurking behind a tree waiting for me.

Maybe it's a fatalistic view, but the way I figure... if someone crazy wants me dead, I'm gonna be dead. There's a bigger risk of someone following me home from the grocery store than someone targeting me while I'm running. If I let fear of crazies run my life... they won. I'm not going to let them win.

That said, I don't run the same route at the same time or have any predictable schedule. I carry my cellphone all the time. I'm aware of my surroundings. And I run at a fairly easy pace, so I'm never too tired or out of breath to scream or sprint.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Fear is for wussies. Go run.
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I run alone when I run outside.... I like the idea of a dog, but we don't have one. lol. I never run when it's dark and I just make sure I'm always aware of my surroundings. My spouse doesn't like me running outside either, but you know what- I want to run and I'm not going to let anything get in the way!
    Besides... I could probably out run any attackers out there anyways!! LOL
  • worej
    worej Posts: 108
    Options
    I think the pepper spray is a good start!

Is there another route you could take, that would make you feel safer? Also, practice some general safety techniques, like ignoring people if they try to stop you to talk or ask you to come to where they are. Tell someone where you're going and when you'll be back. Take a cell phone if you have one. Go running during the day. If you're uncomfortable with someone you are approaching, go to the other side of the street. Maybe learn some basic self-defense moves.

I don't think that running is an unreasonably unsafe activity, and you shouldn't be afraid of it unless you're really running in a bad neighborhood. Maybe look up local crime statistics, to find out what other things have happened in the area. Are the people nearby just eccentric, or are they really worrisome?
  • angw7
    angw7 Posts: 69
    Options
    I also run outdoors and live in the countryside so it can be very quiet when I go off on small roads etc... I would simply say to run when it's light, make sure you wear clothing that's visible and always look around when you are running to keep an eye on your surroundings. There is nothing better than running outdoors and I often meet other runners/sporty people and always get a wave or a smile which is great!
    Go and enjoy it, it's an amazing hobby, not just exercise :)
  • jasharp021
    jasharp021 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Always run with your ID just incase something happens (fainting/passing out/etc) . Try to run in popular areas and times so that you are visible to people. Also, always let someone know when you go for a run and when you come back so that they know you are okay. Lastly, grab pepper spray. Seems like a lot but it is always better to be safe than sorry!
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I usually run alone. I live in a fairly large town so I just stick to the busier areas (main streets & trails) and I ALWAYS run with my phone.
    I agree with LorinaLynn, if something is going to happen all the fear in the world isn't going to stop it. Just be very aware of your surroundings.
  • heartshines
    heartshines Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run solo.

I actually teach women's self-defense. You have to be aware of your surroundings and run smart! Common sense is the biggie!

Run in the daytime...never at night.
    Change your routes and times. Attackers look for patterns and know when you are running.

My husband always knows the vicinity of my route...and knows if I am not back in XX amount of time to head that way to look for me. Not for reason of an attacker...but for some idiot that has run me off the road.
    I have a Road ID on my shoe of my address and multiple phone numbers.

I can take care of myself, but I am also a smart runner! You cannot think you can "outrun" an attacker..especially if they are in a vehicle. Just know your surroundings and you'll be fine! If you ever feel you are being followed, go to someone's house.

You cannot live your life in fear.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Fear is for wussies. Go run.

easy for you to say. :angry: Mr. Man
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I run alone...anywhere, anytime. I've gone for runs thru the woods on camping trips and thru downtown Chicago on sunny winter mornings. There is risk in everything we do.

I wear a RoadID (www.roadid.com), bring my phone if I'm in a very unpopulated area, and stay aware of my surroundings. I do wear headphones but if I get "that feeling" about an area I'll take them out (and turn around!). If you run at night your biggest concern is staying visible. I wear one of those vests with reflective stuff all over it. My neighbor complimented me and I told him I now know how a dog feels when they have to wear "the cone of shame"....rediculous but I know it's for the better. Trust your gut and you'll be safe.

(Many of my friends are afraid to run alone and I don't judge them. It's a personal decision. Coming from a family of law enforcement officers, I think I've picked up some of their swagger. The problem with pepper spray or whatever is that it's only useful if you have it when you need it, so if you choose to run with it you need to carry it and have it ready to use at all times Whatever you choose to do, do it with confidence and you won't look like a potential victim.)
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I run with my little 20lb terror of a dog who hates strangers, so if someone were to attack me, she'd bite a chunk out of them for me, but is easy to control because she's small. Her spike collar makes her look badass when she's barking at the UPS man...

Also, consider going to your local police station and taking a Rape Aggression Defense program. It is an invaluable lesson on hand to hand self defense in the event you are assaulted when alone, and it is geared toward women.

(I've taken the class twice and I love it)

You can get a tiny little keychain size club called a Kubotan, and carry it with you, thumb pressed against the end and your palm wrapped around the length. If someone tries to attack you, jam the end into their sternum scream at them and run like hell. No seriously, that's how simple it is..it's not regulated, no license required, you can't spray it and risk it blowing back in your own face, it's useable on lots of different pressure points on the body, throat, eyes, nose, chest, jaw, that bone in your forearm that is really close to the skin, and it works. In the event that I don't have my dog with me, that's what I carry... it's about 2 oz for a wooden one (they come in aluminum too), and they're only $5. I am licensed to carry concealed where I live and would rather carry a kubotan than a weapon that could be fired and used against me.

Stay observant of your environment and the people around you, know where you are at all times, carry an ID, make sure someone knows where you're going and how long you'll be gone, and run in well populated areas, oh, and change up your routine/route regularly.
  • beckyinma
    Options

I love the roadID's, however, if you get run off the road, like hit by a car, your shoes are likely to come off and get thrown 30-40 feet away. If they are not found by the responders, you likely will go unidentified. I would consider putting somewhere else, like a bracelet or a chest strap, or pocket of your pants. JMO
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

I love the roadID's, however, if you get run off the road, like hit by a car, your shoes are likely to come off and get thrown 30-40 feet away. If they are not found by the responders, you likely will go unidentified. I would consider putting somewhere else, like a bracelet or a chest strap, or pocket of your pants. JMO

Road ID's come in several styles. I have a dog tag style necklace as well as an anklet. My mom wears a wrist one that looks sorta like a Live Strong bracelet. My husband has a shoe mounted one and one wrapped on his bikes. I used to carry my phone and think, "well I have ICE clearly marked in there so I'm fine"....and then I realized most phones these days are password protected. So if you're phone is, make sure your homescreen (that is visible when phone is locked) has your In Case of Emergency info on it.
  • beckyinma
    Options

Road ID's come in several styles. I have a dog tag style necklace as well as an anklet. My mom wears a wrist one that looks sorta like a Live Strong bracelet. My husband has a shoe mounted one and one wrapped on his bikes. I used to carry my phone and think, "well I have ICE clearly marked in there so I'm fine"....and then I realized most phones these days are password protected. So if you're phone is, make sure your homescreen (that is visible when phone is locked) has your In Case of Emergency info on it.

<3:)
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I run alone. I do carry a runner's pepper spray (it fits around my hand) when it is dark out in the morning. I try to make sure I am always aware of my surroundings when running. I refuse to let other people's fears get to me. They state the worst case scenario as to what might happen to you. If your husband is so worried, then he should get out there with you and you should tell him so instead of making your a fearful person.

Just get out there. I rarely take advice from people who don't know where I run.
  • RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There are so many naysayers when you start a running program. Warnings of being abducted or worse. etc. I have been running alone for 2-1/2 years with no problems. Use good judgement, but don't let it stop you from getting a good run in. Just go during daylight hours and be alert. Happy running!!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I run alone also.....
    I let my hubby know what route I am taking, carry my cellphone with me along with my ID.
    If its dark out use reflecive clothing, reflective braclets or flashlights / head lamp & always be aware of your surroundings.
    If you or your hubby/family is realy paranoid take along some pepper spray or have them run w/you :D
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Dress smart, think smart, run smart.

x