SUGAR... always over, but on good things!

Options
I'm working hard to eat good, whole foods, including lots of fruits and veggies. Everyday, however, I am going over on my sugar goal. I'm great on everything else, and in my mind I know that "good" sugars are better than "bad" sugars, but curious how you all handle this. Do you limit fruits to stay low on sugars? Do I disregard the sugar goal as long as it's good sugar? I do splurge every few days (we all deserve a small treat, right?) but I find that the fruits what does it most days...

Replies

• AprilShore
    AprilShore Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am always over on sugar even though I gave up sweets. It is fruit, the vanilla soy milk and Slim Fast products. I just let it go. As long as it is "good" sugar, I don't worry about it. I really look at the carbs instead. Good luck!
  • jelicaa
    jelicaa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My bootcamp trainer says no more than 32 grams of "added" sugar. Natural surgar in fruits/veggies doesn't count....its the extra that you want to watch out for!
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post, I was wondering something similar.
  • Jennifer_b
    Options
    i am always surprised at how my carbs and sugar are over and its always my fruit doing it, i just stop worrying about it since i keep my fruit servings to 2-3 a day
  • OliveJuice1984
    Options
    My bootcamp trainer says no more than 32 grams of "added" sugar. Natural surgar in fruits/veggies doesn't count....its the extra that you want to watch out for!

This is what I was thinking but was never sure because MFP doesn't distinguish between the good and bad sugars. Thank you for posting this!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I handle it by not tracking sugar at all. I'm not diabetic and I don't have PCOS so I'm not worried about it. ;-)
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I say as long as it's not copious amounts of fruit, you're fine. (My unscientific opinion.)

Slim Fast on the other hand? Bad sugar...
  • Embell0830
    Embell0830 Posts: 105
    Options
    There really aren't 'good' or 'bad' sugars. Your body processes it all the same, doesn't matter if it's high fructose corn syrup . I thought there were good and bad sugars also until my pharmacist who is a also a nutritionist corrected me.

Your body doesn't go "Oooh this sugar came from a fruit oh and wait this sugar came from a candy bar"

Sugar in any processed food can be deemed 'bad'.

The only reason sugar found in fruits, nuts, and veggies can be considered 'good' is because you are getting vitamins, minerals, protein (nuts), and fiber, plus it's all natural (unprocessed).
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

this! I also eat clean whole foods, and I only count the refined, processed, added sugars. I don't count the natural sugars in fruits or whole foods.
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The only reason sugar found in fruits, nuts, and veggies can be considered 'good' is because you are getting vitamins, minerals, protein (nuts), and fiber, plus it's all natural (unprocessed).

Absolutely correct.

Ironically one of the contributors to high sugar intake is fruit juice - the perception that because it comes from fruit, it must be 'good'

Fruit juice is astonishingly high in sugar without any of the added benefits of the fruit itself. You're far better off having a glass of water and an orange than having a glass of orange juice.

I have to admit I find sugar a constant battle - on the few occasions where I've been under sugar intake for several days in a stretch, I've been close to homicidal.