Giving up soda

Options
I am thinking of giving up soda. I currently only drink half a 12 oz can a day but I noticed I am no longer enjoying the tase of it. I still like a fountain drink but not cans. Has anyone had any weight lose by giving up soda and what did you drink instead (NO I DON'T LIKE TEA)? I would like to find something with flavor that will not hurt my weight lose. Any tips on giving up the sugary drink?

Replies

• Lil_Leah
    Lil_Leah Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    i actually drink Diet Rite Pure Zero!

its a diet pop, but doesnt have all the bad stuff in it, or the diet taste! no aspartame. no cals/carbs/sugar/ OR sodium (which is the kicker!)

its sweetened with splenda. you should check it out. they have cola, cherry cola, black cherry, white grape (yum!), tangerine.. all sorts.

hope this helped! :drinker:
  • Christin09
    Christin09 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Target sells this super good flavored sparkling water that tastes better than any sugary soda. I believe it is Target brand. I just recently tried it for the first time, I gave pop up many months ago but I love carbonation, it gets me every time. I recommend trying this sparkling water with absolutely no calories :)
  • CaGinger
    CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Giving up soda was one of the first things I did when I made the choice to lose weight. :grumble: By just giving up soda and eating all fast food of any kind I dropped 15lbs in the first three weeks. :flowerforyou:

I have to tell you the more water you start to drink the more any other type of drink just won't satisfy you like water does. I sometimes have a power-aid (but I like to stay away from those too).

They do make those like crystal light things you can mix with water... I hear a lot of people saying good things about those.

(Personally I drink iced tea but I know that doesn't help! :frown: )
  • BigAnn
    BigAnn Posts: 38
    Options
    I drink Fruition - Giant Eagle sells it. It tastes sweet but no cals.
  • jchudon
    jchudon Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've had some severe headaches a little more than 10 years ago and, just to try it out, I've decided to cut my coca-cola/pepsi consumption (about 2L a day) to zero just to check if it could help.

My migraines are gone and I've lost about 30lb in a summer just but cutting this... Since then, it doesn't taste good to me anymore so I don't drink soft drinks anymore...
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    Unless you absolutely LOVE soda- It is a complete waste of calories! Every now and then I crave caffeine (weird) and I have a diet, but I wouldn't think twice about wasting my calories that could go towards FOOD! on soda. Not worth it.
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I actually gave up pop when I was 14 or so, for cross country....and never went back!!! You don't really miss it after awhile, and it was actually easy to give up. Granted, I still like it, and I have it occasionally for drink mixers, and nothing cures an upset tummy like Sprite or 7 Up! Oh yeah and Root Beer is yummy...anyway, before I get too far off track!!

When I quit drinking pop running was MUCH easier. My mom says I lost my baby belly when I quit, in combination with running and eating a bit healthier (I wasn't concerned about my weight at that age lol!) I don't drink anything in its place. Just whatever I like that's reasonably healthy. I LOVE water, especially with a lime. I drink a LOT of tea-sweet tea, green tea, celestial seasonings, but you don't like tea....so I'm trying to think what else I drink.. you can try things like Sprite Zero, for when you really want pop-it's quite good actually! I like Crystal Light a lot, to change up having straight water 24/7. Strawberry-Orange-Banana is my favorite. I especially like the little packets for on-the-go. Regular lemonade is about 90 calories/glass, skim milk, or vitamin waters (just be sure to check the nutrition content, some of them are silly for WATER!!) and the vitamin 10 water isn't too bad. Light lemonade isn't too bad, and I think limeade isn't excrutiatingly high in calories. Hope this helps!!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Personally I sort of accidentally gave up soda. I had drunk diet for a few years trying to lose weight, but when I started weight watchers several years ago they had as part of the plan that you should drink at least 6 glasses of straight water a day. So, I started drinking water with meals (it saves ya $2 every time you eat out to order water!) and making sure I got enough in the 6 glasses of water every day. Then I just got to a point where I realized diet drinks don't really taste all that great, they cost money, and they have all this junk in them like aspartame that kind of freaked me out when I started looking into the questions about it. I got to a point where I was drinking it less and less and if I did have any, I realized I don't like the way carbonation feels (I don't know if that makes sense). Water is so refreshing and clean-feeling and thirst-quenching and the ONLY thing I want after a workout or if I'm thirsty. I drink herbal tea every now and then but mostly it's coffee in the morning, water thru the day, and occasionally vanilla soymilk with a sweet snack. The junk in soda (regular OR diet) is nothing I want floating around in my body. Oh and a skinny hazelnut latte from starbuck's can be a nice treat if you want a special drink! Mmm....

Good luck to you!
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda just over three weeks ago now and I don't miss it one bit! I did it in an effort to eat clean and get healthy through and through. To me having all of that fake sugar processed crap going through my body just wasn't part of being healthy. I drink water all the time now and I flavor it occasionally w/ a slice of lemon, lime or orange and it's great. And frankly (diet) soda just made crave salty treats and I feel like my cravings have decreased dramatically once I gave it up.
  • jadadesigns
    Options
    I love my diet fountain soda!! but,came across "sparkling green tea" by Lipton.It has carbonation and the strawberry kiwi taste really good.I've drank diet soda ever since I can remember,I've quit for a month or two,but like you I don't like regular tea so I've alwasy came back to my diet coke.But,this sparkling green tea is really good and don't taste like "tea",and is supposed to be healthy for ya,so am thinking about once again giving up diet soda.Good luck on giving up your diet soda.I really had no problem with giving it up,except found out that it was more of a habit to always have my diet coke around me than really needed it.
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I gave it up two weeks ago and I used to drink about 4-5 cans a day. Replacing it with water helped. I also drink more milk and V-Fusion Acai berry juice. I drink Crystal Light sometimes too which has lots of great varieties of flavours. I have lost 11lbs in just over two weeks and I don't miss pop/soda at all. I think giving it up also helped curb my cravings for sweets because I don't crave candy or junk anymore either. It isn't solely responsible for that but I think it has definitely helped.

Take care and good luck!!
    Tammy
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have not been doing good with my diet at all. We have been doing a lot of construction to our house leaving me with no kitchen for over 2 months so we have been eating out a lot. But I am back on track and I just gave up soda I have not seen any plus to it yet but I know for a fact it will show soon since I am no longer taking in the extra calories. A co worker of mine told me that she drinks diet dr pepper and she really likes it.
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    i drink diet DR PEPPER all the time but now it upsets my stomach and gives me heartburn so I had to give that up a long time ago. I think my biggest challange will be not having one with breafast
  • betheranne
    betheranne Posts: 44
    Options
    I gave up pop right before Memorial Day, and I have felt so much better w/o it in my life.

I used to drink a 32-ounce fountain pop of Diet Pepsi almost every day.

I have pretty much completely eliminated all artificial sweeteners, no aspartame, no splenda, none of it. So that eliminates all of the Crystal Light packets, and the sparkling flavored water drinks (which can be found at many places).

I often buy lemons or limes to squeeze in my water, and I like these drinks I found at my QuikTrip called San Pellegrino Limonata. I've also found cases of them for sale at Costco.

It's a sparkling lemon drink with 16 percent of lemon juice from concentrate. They do have 31 grams of sugar and 130 calories, so I don't get them often, but they are yummy.

There's also an Aranciata, which is orange.