In defense of STEADY STATE cardio

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
HIIT has been over hyped. I see so many of my friends do it and tell others to do it. I did it over the summer. But my readings lately have lead me to believe that it aint all that great.

Here's a good one:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-intervals-and-epoc-practical-application.html
Not only is the EPOC from any realistic amount of intervals or steady state cardio irrelevant, short interval sessions still burn far LESS calories than longer steady state sessions.

The intervals only come out a TINY bit ahead if you compare workouts of identical length and even there the difference is absolutely insignificant.

But between now and Monday, here’s a question for my readers (or the pro-interval crowd) to ponder:

Let’s say I want or need to train daily for fat loss (most athletes train every day, as do most dieters).

Which am I more likely to do on a day-in day-out basis? Which is more likely to lean me out faster? Which am I more likely to BE ABLE to do daily (from a recovery standpoint)?

30 minutes of intervals: burning 342 calories including EPOC.
60 minutes of moderate teady state cardio: burning 642 calories including EPOC.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    IMO, if strength training is the focus, I would limit HIIT to 1x per week max, preferably avoiding it altogether.
  • Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This implies I have to make a choice. I like to do both.... I look forward to my long runs Saturday as much as I do the HITT training I do on Monday nights. I think they serve different purposes and one should not be excluded over the other. I would not WANT to do either one daily as my only exercise.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I am not an opponent of steady-state by any means. Particularly for getting lean while trying to retain/built muscle. But the quoted argument seems to say outright that the interval routine burns more calories.

Now, I know that raw calorie data isn't the be-all and end-all for selecting the right workout, but a lot of people on MFP DO feel that way, so I just figure it's important to point that out.

It looks like the author of the article is saying that most people will be more willing/able to do lots more steady state rather than a bunch of interval workouts? I'm not sure I'm sold on that; time is precious for a lot of us. But it is really interesting to see that the calorie burn difference is a mere 40 cals.

The main reason I go for steady state, and in particular low-intensity steady state, is that building strength is more important to me right now, and I don't want to jeopardize the efforts of my weight training and LBM building by doing higher-intensity cardio.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    HIIT has been over hyped.

Yup. It's a good training method but by no means a magic bullet...

Here's another link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/308174-the-skinny-on-hiit-v-liss-low-intensity-steady-state-cardi?page=1
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    It's over hyped because 90% of the people who think they are doing HIIT are simply doing intervals.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    HIIT has been over hyped.

Yup. It's a good training method but by no means a magic bullet...

Here's another link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/308174-the-skinny-on-hiit-v-liss-low-intensity-steady-state-cardi?page=1

That's a good one.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I've read many articles on bodybuilding forums (with scientific facts I think) saying it is very beneficial, not saying more than LIT. Anyways I prefer it more because I am done quicker. I am not one to sit or be on a cardio machine for long periods i'll literally fall aslepp or something.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's over hyped because 90% of the people who think they are doing HIIT are simply doing intervals.

excellent point
  • Rae6503
    Options
    This is good on cardio for people trying to build muscle:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/cardio-and-mass-gains.html
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

excellent point

Very true. I thought I was doing HIIT until I did some research on it and found that I wasn't really doing it right. I'm a runner and recently switched my 2 medium/short runs per week out for the same amount of time doing HIIT (the correct way) and have noticed a remarkable difference in my distance running. I use HIIT more as a training tool, and the fact that it adds into my cardio routine is a nice bonus.
  • Rae6503
    Options

excellent point

Very true. I thought I was doing HIIT until I did some research on it and found that I wasn't really doing it right. I'm a runner and recently switched my 2 medium/short runs per week out for the same amount of time doing HIIT (the correct way) and have noticed a remarkable difference in my distance running. I use HIIT more as a training tool, and the fact that it adds into my cardio routine is a nice bonus.

I do remember reading, although I can't find it now, that it IS good for increasing speed in running and biking and stuff but it isn't the "end all" of fat loss. I can't find that article now...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    For optimum heart health, 3 minutes of really high intensity work is preferable per week (it effectively blasts the crud out of your arteries). After that, it's up to you what you do. I like running, so am all for steady state, if quite high intensity.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

excellent point

What Meredith said. I don't see it as an either or. I do 3 types of Cardio. HIIT, low intensity steady state ( between 50% to not greater than 75% max VO2) and moderate intensity steady state(above 75% max VO2). Also strength. Every time my body tries to sneak up on me and adjust, I'm throwin' something differerent. It's all good.. BTW, I saw something where someone said if you have enough breath left to ask if what you just did is HIIT, it wasn't. :laugh: