I wondered how you decide what to eat each day

I hate making breakfast and I wondered how you all decide what a healthy meal plan is

Replies

• I hate making breakfast and I wondered how you all decide what a healthy meal plan is
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    well, there are lots of good templates out there, it's an individual thing. I, personally, don't usually make a breakfast, I usually have a banana, some yogurt, and maybe some instant oatmeal or a piece of whole wheat toast. You don't need to go crazy for breakfast, but you should put a good variety of carbs, protein, and vitamins in there to kick start your (after 10 to 12 hours of fasting essentially) metabolism, which is pretty much running out of things to burn and probably starting to think about slowing down at this point.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    I decide the night before. I usually just look in the fridge, see what I have and then decide what I'd like. Yogurt, oatmeal, turkey bacon, eggs, fresh fruit, things like that. I usually have about a 300 calorie breakfast, but I'm never really all that hungry in the morning. Thing is, if you as long as you have a plan set for the whole day, you can have anything you want, just have to fit it all into your daily plan. It's easy once you get used to it! :drinker:
  • Whatever's handy, really. Random tv dinners, leftovers... if it's in the house at eight in the morning it can be a breakfast item. I usually shoot for 300-400 calories.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    I hate breakfast too, but I need to eat something filling or I get cranky!

My favorite is a 100 calorie Mini-bagel (Thomas') and a slice or two of a low fat cheese sometimes I add a slice of turkey. I generaly lightly toast the bagel so that the cheese is a little melty. That really satisfies me.
    Good Luck!
  • myebinger
    myebinger Posts: 25
    My best days, the days that I have the most energy and actually feel like I could do it without a cup of coffee is when i make myself an egg sandwhich. One egg, one piece of toast and a little pat of butter. all swallowed down with an ice cold glass of skim milk. It got just the right mix of carbs, and protein to jump start my day. I know, cooking sucks, believe me, I'm with you sister, but I've found it to be worth it.
  • myebinger
    myebinger Posts: 25
    You had a second question, how to decide what a healthy meal plan is.

That is a herd decision to make. and everyones got their own answer, because in the end you do what works best for you, but the trick is to find what works best for you and it's not some 15 minute magic show either, its a hard thing. There are tons of diets out there and some make more sense on paper than they do in practice. and believe me I know, I've been down Diet Road so many times I know where every pot hole and speed bump is. Don't believe me? I should post a picture of my diet book collection. The thing about falling off the wagon so many times is that you learn SOMETHING each time you go through it. And not just the simple stuff like: Diet pills don't work, or Porkchops and Grapefruits for more than three days is disgusting, but real things that help you make good decisions when you grab your grocery cart.
    Those diet books I've collected over the years all have really good advise in them, but they also have some really bad advice too and picking the gold nuggets out of the muck can be a hassle. I've done it the hard way and so what I'm about to tell you, take to heart.

If you feel you are lost and cannot make good choices or if you think you need someone to help you keep yourself in the right direction go talk to a nutritionalist or a weight loss center. They would be able to set you up with a meal plan that would get you started on the right path and it would give you a solid foundation to building your own personal meal plan off of.
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    I love breakfast! I'm so hungry when I wake up so I can't wait to get started lol. I usually go for carbs in the morning. Oatmeal or some healthy cereal like kashi. I'll add in fruit as well. Something that I do recommend is drinking water with breakfast. I've heard that if you start your day out drinking water it helps even more to get your metabolism going. Every once in a while I'll have eggs and toast, even bacon now and then. I think the important thing is to eat breakfast, not so much what it is. I really just go for whatever sounds good :happy:

:heart: Kels
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Over the past week, I've discovered if I eat a breakfast with 500-700 calories (I'm starving in the morning!) consisting of either hot cereal and fruit and a boiled egg or two :tongue: or an egg and cheese and deli meat breakfast sandwich, then I have a struggle getting in my 2,090 cal. for the day. Which is good. It keeps me from snacking and overeating at dinner. Whereas if I eat a bowl of cold cereal or a carnation shake or something like that, I'm hungry all day and usually end up going a few hundred cals over my daily plan. So for me, big breakfast = satisfaction and lots of energy for the day.

No pancakes or waffles for me, though :ohwell: or bacon or biscuits or grits..... I try to keep the fat down and the carbs and protein up. Butterball smoked turkey sausage is great... boil it, though, or it's awfully salty.

Good luck!:smile:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    I just eat whatever I feel like having at the time. If I feel like snacking all day, I do it then eat a light dinner. I like to have an omelate in the morning when I have time, made with one whole egg and one eggwhite, green and red peppers (about 1/4 c of frozen ones sprinkled on while the egg is cooking) 1/4 c shredded fat free cheese and sometimes onions. Not sure on the exact calories without checking my log, but it's under 200. I think I feel more satisfied and fuller when I take the time to cook instead of eating cereal or even oatmeal. I decide what I'm going to eat mainly on how I feel, but I try to make sure I'm getting veggies everyday and lots of lean protein, like chicken, turkey, haddock, reduced sodium ham, pork..etc etc. I love to eat bread too..lol but now I buy the light wheat bread and it's 80 calories for two slices. Add a tablespoon of peanut butter and you're golden. Ok, I think I got off topic and rambled a bit..lol