Best time to workout?

Options
Is there a bad time to workout? I'm a stay at home Mom of 4 kids ages 6, 4, 2, and 3 months so I'm wayyyyy to busy during the day so I don't have time to do exercise. I do my zumba when they are in bed between 8 and 9 PM. I hope that's ok and won't make a difference...

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The best time is whenever you can. I tend not to workout in the evening as it jack up my metabolism and I don't want to get sleepy for awhile, then I'm tired the next day but you may find that not to be the case.
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the pm also. Usually between 4 and 6. My gym has weird kids club hours.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Whenever it works for you! Don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise :) I am currently unemployed, and my son is in school, so I have all day, but I prefer to go right after dropping him off so I don't have the chance to skip it!
  • KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    I prefer working out early in the AM. Hit the gym at 4:30 am. I find I feel so much better all day long.
  • Larommi
    Larommi Posts: 25
    Options
    I have more energy to burn in the afternoon after eating through out the day but I hear alot say morning is the best time because it gets your metabolism jump started.

I will go with those that say, do it when you can.
  • dtucker4403
    dtucker4403 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the morning because if I don't fit it in early (5 a.m.) then I don't always have time or other things get in the way. I have also heard, don't know how true it is, that it doesn't matter how long you exercise at one time, so you could try 20 minutes in the morning and 20 later in the day. Depends on what your schedule is like.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Whenever you can fit it in. I exercise after work because I leave for work at 3am and my gym is not open otherwise I would in the morning.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    I've read between 5- 8p.m. is great because your body temp goes up highest and you get to work out harder without feeling as much strain. Having said that.....I'm an A.M. workout girl. I've gotta get it in to get my day started right.
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The best time is when when you can do it.

With that said, I feel much better throughout the day when I workout in the morning. When I miss my morning workout my day feels worse even when I make it up at night.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I split it up. I lift in the morning and do cardio before dinner.
  • arl29
    arl29 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I also like the idea of a couple shorter exercises. This past Saturday for example, I did three 20 minute workouts to break up my day of cleaning. It was a nice break from scrubbing floors and folding laundry. I actually enjoyed it a lot more than on a normal day. I might try to do that on weekends going forward. Also, it's easier to give 100% for 20 minutes than for 40 minutes or more.:smile:
  • Larommi
    Larommi Posts: 25
    Options
    I split it up. I lift in the morning and do cardio before dinner.

You know, I like this. I think personally myself I would reverse it so my muscles can build and heal overnight but I like it. I bet I would sweat at work though.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    there isn't a wrong time to work out!! If you're fitting it anywhere in your day you're doing great!! :)
  • Jess11079
    Jess11079 Posts: 26
    Options
    there isn't a wrong time to work out!! If you're fitting it anywhere in your day you're doing great!! :)

EXACTLY. Your working out and thats all that matters!
  • LivieUlchabhan
    Options
    I work out during the day and then when I have time in the evening I get in some more :) Anytime is great, it seems to be working for me :)
  • anamikaraks
    anamikaraks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I workout between midnight and 2am since that seems to fit my schedule. Everyone is right. You've made a huge step in deciding to DO it, when is not a big deal. Congrats!!!
  • alanmat
    alanmat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    As a father of 3 small kids under 8 myself, the best time to do it is whenever fits into your schedule. The only bad workout is NO workout.
  • CALABRESE3
    CALABRESE3 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have to do it in the morning or I get too tired and run out of time later on..
  • tesskb328
    tesskb328 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I exercise around 10 or 11 when I first get up and then I exercise again in the afternoon or evening depending when certain classes are at my gym. Like today I'm going at 5:45 and then yesterday I went to a 1:00 class.
    I think the only thing that matters is that you just workout when you can, not what time. Some people say mornings are better and others say evenings. You just have to find what works for you.