Skinny fat cupcakes?

Options
MikeSEA
MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
So a co-worker brought in tiny cupcakes into the office today. The claim was that they are healthy by virtue of being smaller. This prompted the question about how we could possibly tell whether or not they're healthy just because they're smaller (read thinner).

In turn, we then deduced that the cupcakes, while smaller, were merely skinny fat and thus not healthier. We have yet to check their protein levels to verify how lean the cupcakes really are.

Replies

• SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    mmmm tiny cupcakes......
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Cute. :smile:

Most mini-cupcakes I've seen (and devoured) had a higher frosting-to-cake ratio than other cupcakes, so ... yes, they probably are skinnyfat.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    horrorcat-meme-generator-did-you-say-cupcakes-6c144b.jpg
  • thekat78
    thekat78 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Cute. :smile:

Most mini-cupcakes I've seen (and devoured) had a higher frosting-to-cake ratio than other cupcakes, so ... yes, they probably are skinnyfat.

Same here! Yet....that just seemed tp make them more worth my time. xD
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    A small portion of a bad food is still a bad food. Cake is a lot like bacon. I might be able to have a slice of bacon without going over my counts but I don't think anyone here is going to argue that bacon is healthy just because I only had one slice.

That said, if I had the calories to burn and a modicum of willpower, I'd be going for the mini-cupcake and try to hold myself to just one. Baked goods are my kryptonite.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    omg cupcakes.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Buahahahah!!! this thread is hilarious... especially after coming from the skinny fat thread...
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been craving cupcakes. Seriously though, how many calories would there be in a medium cupcake with icing? 200 or 300 calories? Can't you just adjust your daily intake to make allowance for the cupcake? Oh my favorite is red velvet with cream cheese icing.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    horrorcat-meme-generator-did-you-say-cupcakes-6c144b.jpg

HAHAHA, love it!
  • kidrobot3
    kidrobot3 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A small portion of a bad food is still a bad food. Cake is a lot like bacon. I might be able to have a slice of bacon without going over my counts but I don't think anyone here is going to argue that bacon is healthy just because I only had one slice.

That said, if I had the calories to burn and a modicum of willpower, I'd be going for the mini-cupcake and try to hold myself to just one. Baked goods are my kryptonite.

HAHA! It's like saying bacon bits are healthier because they are tiny.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    i'm totally confused now if i should look at the mini cupcakes w/ a telescope or a magnifying glass!! :laugh: :huh:
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Isn't that a lot like all of the 100 calorie packs of food/treats? Most of them have very little in the package. The treats are not healthy just because the portion is small. However, if I want a treat and want to limit my calories, then that's the way I would go.

I really don't have cupcakes very often, and if I did have one I know I wouldn't be satisfied with a mini one. I could be happy with a normal size cake mix/diet soda one. I know, I know, those aren't "healthy" either, but you got to live!
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    cookiemonstercupcakesna.jpg
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Isn't that a lot like all of the 100 calorie packs of food/treats? Most of them have very little in the package. The treats are not healthy just because the portion is small. However, if I want a treat and want to limit my calories, then that's the way I would go.

I really don't have cupcakes very often, and if I did have one I know I wouldn't be satisfied with a mini one. I could be happy with a normal size cake mix/diet soda one. I know, I know, those aren't "healthy" either, but you got to live!

Healthier to have a small amount instead of the larger amount, if you're going to have them anyways. I look at it like this, because I buy the 100 calorie snacks & ice cream bars & stuff too : After dinner I crave desert & during the day I crave snacks. I used to eat chips & dip during the day & huge bowl of ice cream after dinner, so NOW when I crave those things, I have a 100 calorie snack or a 100 calorie ice cream bar. That doesn't mean that they are healthy at all, but definitely the healthier choice. Same thing with the healthy choice meals I bought for days I want to have something quick before or after work.. I eat those instead of stopping at fast food and grabbing a burger..it's the healthier choice for me. One day I will get to the point where all I eat is true clean healthy foods, but it takes baby steps to get there.
    Enjoy your little cupcakes!!! =)
  • MikeSEA
    Options
    I absolutely forbid this farce of a thread to be derailed by talk of actual dieting issues. It shall not stand.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    We didn't take into account the wrapper for the cupcake. If it's way too tight, doesn't that make it even more skinny fat even if it does contain a decent protein ratio? Or is that just poor fashion sense?
  • MikeSEA
    Options
    We didn't take into account the wrapper for the cupcake. If it's way too tight, doesn't that make it even more skinny fat even if it does contain a decent protein ratio? Or is that just poor fashion sense?

Clearly the wrapper is too tight. They have muffin tops. It's too tight by definition.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

HAHA! It's like saying bacon bits are healthier because they are tiny.

Mmmm. . . . Bacon bits. Good bacon bits almost make a caesar salad worthwhile.