Plateau ):

Options
I typically lose about 1 lb per week, but for the past 2.5 weeks I haven't moved at all on the scale! I'm attempting to get over my plateau, so I've upped my calories from 1200 to 1400. Is this a good idea? I have also taken to only burning 100-200 calories a day. Advice please! This is the first time I've ever hit a plateau and don't want to jeopardize my weight lose. But, I'm not sure if 1400 is enough for me to overcome my plateau. I am currently 5'2" and 130 lbs. Do you think thats a good amount? Thank you!

Replies

• lottier0311
    lottier0311 Posts: 125
    Options
    :bigsmile: Id be really interested to find out the answer to this...
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I wuold continue eating 1400 calories/day, but burn more if it were me. I am 5'2" and 131 pounds. My calorie target is 1200, but I usually burn 300+ exercising and typically eat "most" of it back (not always all). I am still consistently losing.
  • JustLena75
    JustLena75 Posts: 114
    Options
    Trying adding an extra 100-200 calories.
    Google and try to find other calorie calculators. MFP is NOTORIOUSLY low on the numbers.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but 2.5 weeks is not a plateau, hon.

Your diary is not open so hard to tell where you are actually getting your calories from - this would be handy if you want more detailed suggestions.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    good idea on upping your calories. I've broken through several plateaus this way. I currently eat 1600-2100 calories a day.

SW 303.4 (1/1/11)
    CW 198.4 (down 105lbs)
    GW 160
    29 y/o 5'6''
  • lostemt76
    lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was told by the trainer if that happen to me to drop my calories but I am on the heavy side. Also maybe change your exercises around add something to routine that you usually don't do. Also if weight train try adding weight. Hope this helps.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • backtofront
    Options
    Me too i think......Weighed myself yeaterday on a different scale however and it looks like I've only lost 2 lbs in a month. I think I may be in this "starvation" mode thing MFP speaks of and may not be eating enough. i am currently at 271 down from 299 and am lifting alot of weights along with 30 m of cardio every other day. Am I sabotoging myself ? Thanks.
  • tiggergrrl23
    tiggergrrl23 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that 2.5 weeks is considered a plateau. Anything could be affecting the scale not moving for this short amount of time, from your time of the month, to how much sodium you are consuming to not drinking enough water. I was in a plateau for 3 months recently and was just able to make it over and start losing again. You might want to consider making your dairy public so people can give you a more thorough critique of what you could be doing differently. I think it is a good idea to up your daily calories, but I would recommend trying to burn a little bit more than you are and try to eat back most of your calories (which I never did before). This is what I did and now the scale is moving again. Goo luck to you!
  • tiggergrrl23
    tiggergrrl23 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Me too i think......Weighed myself yeaterday on a different scale however and it looks like I've only lost 2 lbs in a month. I think I may be in this "starvation" mode thing MFP speaks of and may not be eating enough. i am currently at 271 down from 299 and am lifting alot of weights along with 30 m of cardio every other day. Am I sabotoging myself ? Thanks.

I don't think you are sabotaging yourself, but you also might want to consider upping your calorie intake. Just changing your profile settings from "lose 2 pounds per week" to "lose 1.5 pounds per week" could just give you a little bit more calories and might help you start to lose again. Plus, you should definitely try to eat back most (if not all) your exercise calories. I never did this, but with the last month I started doing this and now the weight is coming off again and I got to my first major milestone of getting below 200 pounds. If you are doing hard and intense workouts, you need to give your body the fuel it needs to not enter "starvation mode" and your body needs energy to continue doing the workouts. Good luck to you!