Seroquel

Options
Any other time in my life, I would've dropped an extreme amount of weight by this point. I'm eating healthier than ever, I exercise a LOT more, and I've yet to see my weight budge since losing the initial "water weight" from the first couple of weeks. I could not for the life of me figure out what was preventing me from weight loss. In fact, if I lost a single pound within two weeks time, I'd be ecstatic! So, on my quest for fitness, I decided to see my psychiatrist *who has a background in nutrition* to see if he could help me. After a lengthy description of what was happening, he told me that he thinks it's my seroquel. Mind you, I'm on only 1oo mgs a day for my rather severe bipolar and it works wonders for me so I don't want to stop. We lowered it to 5o mgs to see what will happen, but I just want to know:

Is there anyone out there who has had a hard time losing weight on seroquel?

Replies

• RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hey there was a patient who was on 300 mgs and lost a lot of weight. But as you know, each person is different. Hope decreasing your amount will help you.
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I am on 400 mgs and have lost steady amounts of weight before.
    Weight loss if more than possible, however I think it takes constant activity to maintain because weight can easily be gained.
    I was actually able to relieve symptoms with a good routine of fitness, eating right, and meditation and was able to decrease my medication. I would be careful doing it the other way around (decreasing to lose weight) especially if you know it works for you. Only because you'll be going through slight withdrawls to adjust to the new medication levels and while managing the side effects you'll be trying to lose weight. Do your research on Seroquel and how it might affect you personally. It's great that you can talk to your psychiatrist, but your the only one who knows how your body feels and you should have a right to know what's going inside and how it will affect you.

Good luck :)
  • Cath138
    Cath138 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, I have been on seroquel (300 mg) since Jun 2011 and gained 30 pounds! Now I eat right and excersice on a daily basis and lost 3.8 pounds on my first week, and lost 2 pound the month before just by exercising. I think the main thing is to eat only when you are physically hungry, at least, it works for me !