Seltzer Water is bad to drink on diet - Myth or Fact?!?

Options
So my question....Is Seltzer water OK to not only drink, but count as daily H2O intake? I have heard various comments on this topic. Some say don't drink at all as it actually dehydrates your body (myth???), and others just say it's ok in moderation, or drink as much as you want.

Personally, it's a nice change and I drink "Seltzer" brand, 0 sugars, 0 sodium, 0 anything...but is the carbonation doing bad things??? Specifically, contributing to dehydration?

Replies

• YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
  • Caro239
    Caro239 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Is that the same thing as fizzy water? I hope its not bad for you, it's pretty much all I drink!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend.
    LOVE IT!!
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    MFP is also your friend... I hate when people say "google" it on the forums... you are allowed to ask for opinions here as well.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it but now it just makes me burp and fart a lot. I don't need any help in making myself an even more unattractive target than my weight already does, so I gave it up.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    MFP is also your friend... I hate when people say "google" it on the forums... you are allowed to ask for opinions here as well.

And my opinion is that you should use google and make your own informed decisions.
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've heard about carbonated water is that over time it does leach the calcium from your bones. I am very lucky because I have never been a soda drinker and do not miss carbonated beverages. Some people will switch to carbonated water with sliced fruit or cucumbers to help combat their desire for a soda.

Thats just my two cents worth. :bigsmile:
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it but now it just makes me burp and fart a lot. I don't need any help in making myself an even more unattractive target than my weight already does, so I gave it up.

:laugh: and :flowerforyou:
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've heard about carbonated water is that over time it does leach the calcium from your bones. I am very lucky because I have never been a soda drinker and do not miss carbonated beverages. Some people will switch to carbonated water with sliced fruit or cucumbers to help combat their desire for a soda.

Actually - I think the calcium issue comes form one of the chemicals they put in soda. Seltzer is (usually) just water and CO2.
  • tifftaffy
    tifftaffy Posts: 141 Member
    Options

And my opinion is that you should use google and make your own informed decisions.

I had no idea these message forums had such nice people on them what with the supportive comments. :-P For pete's sake, if you have nothing nice or at least helpful to post- then maybe you shouldn't post anything at all. Don't like my post?
    Deal with it.

to the OP...

I too drink quite a bit of seltzer water (namely Canada Dry) as it doesn't have any added flavors and it has the carbonation that I look for at times. I found this on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonated_water
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I do drink it, I find it more filling than regular water, but I don't over do it. My personal opinion is as long as it is in moderation its ok.

good luck!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Let's keep it polite. The OP posted a topic, if you do not want to respond, ignore and move on.

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

I cleaned up the threads. Any additional attacks and the poster will be warned.

Thank You,

Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    BUMP...

...because this is definitely something worthy of discussion!

I've become a fan of naturally-flavored, salt-free seltzer. If you buy the store brands (I personally drink Polar brand), it's fairly inexpensive - and can be treated (counted) as water consumption without complication. I believe that it's a viable way to alleviate the sugar/sugar-free soda cravings... it works for me, anyways!

Finally, thank you Arewethereyet, for cleaning-up this important thread!
  • CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just tried Seagram's White Peach seltzer water (no sodium, no sugar, no calories, etc.) and it is AMAZING!! Really refreshing.

As far as drinking carbonated water "on a diet", I don't think that it is a problem. The only thing that I think you may find is that bloating is much more likely with all the Co2...at least that's the way it works for me. But I'd say it is a much smarter choice than regular sodas/juices/artificially sweetened diet drinks!
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Nope, false. Carbonation is just carbon dioxide dissolved in water. some sodas (like my favorite cola products) have a phosphate in them that interferes with calcium absorption, your body naturally will lose calcium if it's not replaced. But if you are anti-soda, the carbonated water + veggies/fruit is a good idea.

(earlier comments about gas/bloating from gas are true. you're consuming a gas, it's gotta come up (burp), or out the back end)