Unsolicited Advice

Options
2»

Replies

• MelissaW1978
    MelissaW1978 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yep, I think he was just looking for an excuse to talk to you. I would just try to take it as a compliment.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i dont. i dont do it either and im a PT. i mean i watch people and i see them working out wrong, and the PT in me wants to say your wasting your time because youre doing it wrong. but at the end of the day LEAVE PEOPLE ALONE TO WORK OUT.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    It's like when a little boy likes you & he punches your arm on the playground to tell you so. :huh: He probably wanted to swarm you & impress you with his plethora of body fat knowledge.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    Guuuuurrlllllllllll..... he was jelly and was probably trying to steer you away from your goals!! GET IT GIRL! Keep going!
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Never bought a gym membership but I wouldn't put too much stock in what he says. If it is working, great. He sounds like a pinhead.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    The way you handled it was superb! I imagine he was really trying to be helpful, and I get this from time to time and tell them that I will make sure to keep it in mind. ie: "I will definitely keep that in mind once I reach it if I find I cannot maintain, thanks for the advice!"...... Then they think they may have been helpful and you do what you want to do with the information.
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    I'd say that's pretty annoying. I'm not wondering if he was trying to talk to you and that is the only thing he could come up with. Weird.

Sometimes - and even more so now that I switched gyms I want to ask people questions or ask if my form is right on a machine I've never used before but then I don't want to bother anyone while they are in their workout zone. I'm thankful that my friend is going to start working out with me so I can get comfortable with this gym since she's been there for a few years now.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    My old gym let a personal training buisness move in so they harass people working out trying to sell them super expensive personal training. The gym membership is $10 a month, but the personal trainers charge around $100+ a week. Idiots. I canceled my membership there. I was not going there for harassment.
  • JackieLM
    JackieLM Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    He can't manage 15% body fat and he's a personal trainer - um, I would warn his clients!

he wasn't the PT... he was a random dude... she was saying she works with a PT. The guy that asked her the question wasn't the PT.

Also, I think he was trying to find a way to talk to you. Obviously doesn't have skills in the "player" department. hahaha! Either that or he is one of those people that think that they know everything and just because he couldn't do it means that it makes it impossible for everyone else too.
  • Devonanne
    Devonanne Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I was doing lat pulldowns at the gym and a guy came over and had the nerve to walk behind me, GRAB my hands and REPOSITION them on the bar, then tell me that if I do it this way I will get a better workout. I was so shocked and incredulous all I could do was stare at him, unbelieving. I hope he scraped his hand on my engagement ring...
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    I was doing lat pulldowns at the gym and a guy came over and had the nerve to walk behind me, GRAB my hands and REPOSITION them on the bar, then tell me that if I do it this way I will get a better workout. I was so shocked and incredulous all I could do was stare at him, unbelieving. I hope he scraped his hand on my engagement ring...

I'm shocked someone would do that. Talking to someone is one thing but touching a person w/out asking is another.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Unsolicited Advice is yucky, but he probably was just trying to make conversation.

I go to Planet Fitness and hardly anyone will even look at you let alone even think of saying hello, which is good and bad depending on what you prefer.

I miss my old gym that closed. People were friendly and yes sometimes I got some unsolicited advice. One time someone gave me a hard time that I was "sandbagging" my workout and encouraged me to grab heavier weights. I did and I liked it: ) He became a friendly face at the gym that would notice if I missed a few days.

I'm sure Mr BodyFat% meant no harm...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What a moroon!
  • whatluckycat
    whatluckycat Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If someone grabbed me from behind, that would be the last thing he remembered when he wakes up again.
  • tracielinn
    tracielinn Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I talked with my trainer about it yesterday. She was a bit perplexed by the whole situation and asked how I felt about it. I told her I felt awkward, but let it go in one ear and out the other. She said that some people just like to hear themselves talk.

As I was doing cardio yesterday, I was sure to look extra focused :)