push ups~ anyone get this feeling...

Options
wahmx3
wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
As part of a challenge I am doing 25 push ups along with other things. I have been doing cardio for awhile now but not much strength training. So I am loving adding this in but.... yesterday and today when I tried them, modified on my knees, I feel dizzy, queasy, and funny feeling, hard to explain almost like I am going to faint. I made it to 17 but I can't stand the feeling and have to stop as I think I will either throw up or faint. I have eaten and am drinking lots, have a glass of water between exercises to drink from. I am not a huge person and have been walking/running on the treadmill for awhile so not totally out of shape. Any thoughts or anyone else get that feeling?

Replies

• SeanFitnessPal
    SeanFitnessPal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    could be that you are going down and getting up too quickly? "Head Rush"?
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    How close to working out are you eating?
    For me on days that I do intensive workouts I be sure and eat my snack 2 hours before the workout. Any sooner and I feel like I'm going to puke any later and I don't have the energy to get through a full hour.
  • hawtpep
    hawtpep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are breathing out on your up. Sounds like you might be getting not enough oxygen or to much.
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    are you holding your breath while you do the push ups?
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Are you breathing while doing them? Don't forget to breath!
  • WinwillLose
    WinwillLose Posts: 101
    Options
    Sounds like your heart rate is to high, but I would ask your doctor.
  • danjdunn
    danjdunn Posts: 5
    Options
    Maybe you are doing too many at one time for just starting out? I just started a push up program and I am doing them in sets of about 7-8 each set.
  • joshmiller1998
    Options
    Now this is just me but this is what I do, If I work out, I do it first thing in the morning when I get up or after work. If it's first thing, I try not to eat but if I do, it's an apple. If I was trying to do 25 pushups, I would break it up into 3 sets, 8-8- and then 9 on the last. I wouldn't try doing them all at once. Breathe in as you are going down and breathe out when you push. Again, this is just my opinion and I know how you feel. I would sip on water or whatever you drink during the workout, don't drink a ton because it will fill you up and could make you feel queasy. Hopefully I might have helped you out some.
  • marckilgore
    Options
    Are you on blood pressure meds by chance? That can do it.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I had a light lunch 2 hours ago, a chicken wrap. I am breathing when doing them and definitely not going too fast. So maybe i just need to work my way up to doing 25 at a time...
    My blood pressure is normal and not on any meds and really don't think my heart rate is to high as I stop for a minute before starting these. I love your thoughts so far.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Go to a chiro or physio you may have a pinch nerve in your neck. That used to happen to me.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're holding your head in a neutral position. The tendency is to drop your chin to your chest as you get tired. This can cause you to cut off your air supply and you'll get light headed. Pick a spot on the floor to look at that puts your head in a neutral position (not extended up which can hurt your neck, nor chin to chest which cuts off your air). Keep looking at that spot throughout your set. If you struggle to get good form with them do them on a stair instead of on your knees. Using a stair, step or other raised surface will still let you develop those core muscles but will make it a little easier to do the push ups. And like others have suggested, if you need to break them into sets.