NSV - Running

Options
Beth292
Beth292 Posts: 10 Member
I've been doing the C25K over this last few weeks, and am due to be starting Week 7 this week, but I've mainly been doing it on the treadmill in the gym because I've been feeling very self conscious.

Today I decided to be brave, I'd bought the gear so decided to head on outside and pound the pavements.

I was a little slower than usual and had to walk a little but I conquered a huge fear about running in public, and really enjoyed it!

Looking forward to doing it again, has anyone else experienced this fear and overcome it too? :)

Replies

• cortneymau
    Options
    I definitely have the fear but not overcome it! Congrats on that NSV. I am still early in the C25K but I would much rather run outside as well (especially with my dog!) but I want to wait till I get a little more running under my belt. I am glad someone else beat the fear! :)
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    I got the running bug last summer...started out only running 2 minutes at a time...now up to over an hour at a time...i say just do it...i always wear a wrap around my booty even though i have lost all the weight...but have started going without at the gym...my advice just do it...and happy running

check out runners world, they have a lot of advice...i subscribe to it on my kindle fire ($1.25 a month) and i love all the advice and tips they give new runners as well as more experienced runners.

Blessings to you all...
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm currently running in week 6 of C25K, I think it's great also, and have been running it on a track. I'm not so much worried about being seen in public (people see me (trying to) run now), I'm more worried about running over hill-and-dale outside. That track is so level and smoooooth!!!
  • JekJekums
    JekJekums Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    that is such a big deal!! running outside is super intimidating and no one can make you ready but you - and you did it! congrats and i hope it opens up a whole new world of running for you!
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    YAY!
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I remember the same feeling. I still get that way sometimes (I prefer not to run on busy main streets!) but buying workout pants that I know conceal my jiggle really helped a lot. lol.
  • missdeneen
    Options
    I signed up to run the Broad Street Run in Philadelphia (10 miles...yikes). I overcame my fear of running outside by running in the evening. There are a lot of people running and I feel a little better running at night. (I carry pepper spray with me for safety.) I find that I enjoy running outside more than inside because it works different muscles somehow and I enjoy watching the scenery change.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm currently running in week 6 of C25K, I think it's great also, and have been running it on a track. I'm not so much worried about being seen in public (people see me (trying to) run now), I'm more worried about running over hill-and-dale outside. That track is so level and smoooooth!!!

This is soooo me!!! I started Week 8 o f C25K last night (on the indoor track, of course) and it went well! I'm jogging a little slow, probably, but I want to pace myself, seeing as how I have NEVER been a runner or anything close to it! But after I finish C25K, I'm going to take it outdoors! With more daylight and warming temps in my future, there's no more excuses! I'm thinking of doing (or trying) a 5K in May and I know that if i don't move my butt outside and get used to the terrain, I'll never make it.

Happy Running and Best of Luck to Everyone!
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is big!

I used to be a runner, and haven't been for a long time. I just finished week 3 of C25K; I've been doing it on my treadmill. I share your same (former) fear of running outside (even though I did it all the time in my past running life), and am right up against that fear: I'll be visiting my parents next week. They don't have a treadmill, and I refuse to lose a whole week of C25K training, so I will be forced to run outside. Aaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Thanks for posting that you overcame your fear. I will try to draw on it as inspiration!
  • ashhills
    ashhills Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, and I've posted about it. I also have a fear for my safety, just because it was always drilled into me as a kid. I am now excited about running. I do get a little paranoid, but it is exciting to see how I've progressed. Have you signed up for a 5k?
  • grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    I got brave once I realized how much I admired the old who seemed barely able to walk, the very heavy person who was doing way more than me; all these people had more guts and more glory than chicken me and I wanted some too!
  • Beth292
    Beth292 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 5k on the 25th March, although I'm not sure I'll be able to run all of it I'm giving it a good go! I'm also signing up to do Parkrun and hopefully a 10k in around June to keep my motivation up. Even if I dont run it all I'm enjoying it, and my fitness is improving! :)

Its great to see other people with similar feelings to me, and thinking about safety as well!
  • Andaw
    Andaw Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That's fabulous, well done! I'm about to start the C25K. I've run a few times on the treadmill (I did 25 mins today at 5mph!) but I've also been a bit nervous about going outside. I did a run last week and found it so much harder than on the treadmill. I'm looking forward to getting better at it though.

Good luck on your 5 & 10k races!!
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Congratulations outside is the place to be! Nothing more beautiful than watching the sunrise on your first mile or set with your last. Keep on running!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

THERE IS NOTHING IN THE WORLD LIKE SPREADING YOUR OWN WINGSPAN FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!!
  • jharris1378
    jharris1378 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Don't let the outside scare you. I started a c25k when I was 275 pounds. I have since lost 100 pounds and just finished a 5k in 28 minutes. When I went to the track the other day there was a lady who told me that she was amazed at my progress. Just stay focused on the end resultf1159h0k0b91.jpg
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I am on week 4 of c25k. Been running outside since I started but yeah. I feel goofy while I walk/dance to music but every time I pass someone I smile and they always smile back. It is actually pretty cool, I am sure more people watch at the gym than on the street. Which is why I refuse to join a gym still.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yesssssss! I finished my eight week program just before Christmas and I'm doing my first 5K in nine days.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!