WATER

Options
hey guys- i was just wondering if the 8 glasses of water is recommended for every day or if it's just your base and if you should add on 2-3 cups of water on the days that you exercise

hope everyone's doing well today on your water intake!

Replies

• jcpalmer1day
    Options
    You should increase your water intake if you're exercising, based on the amount you sweat, etc.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    8 cups is just the least you should drink... AND if you workout and sweat a lot...you need to drink A LOT more.....
  • cpafford79
    cpafford79 Posts: 88
    Options
    WOW! That's news for me! I thought I was doing good by drinking my 8 cups a day. I'll start guzzlin' more now!! LOL!:laugh:

:drinker: :drinker:
  • baughana
    baughana Posts: 10
    Options
    I say listen to your body. Some say that when your body is thirsty then you are already dehydrated and your body is playing catch up.
  • rflores10
    rflores10 Posts: 2
    Options
    I find it so hard to even drink 8 glasses of water, usually I average about 4. I'm just never that thirsty! If I drink too much, I'm always taking way too many trips to the bathroom at work! I know that it is necessary and I'm pretty new to this site so I do have a lot to learn, for me this is a huge lifestyle change.:smile:
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    Listen to your body, but the amount you're sopose to drink is half your body weight in ounces. Like if you weigh 200, you're sopose to drink 100 ounces! But, if you do drink 100 ounces becuase you weigh 200 (for example, lol) and but you work out and your body is thirsty, then of course drink more than the 100 ounces :happy: Hope this helps!!!
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    Listen to your body, but the amount you're sopose to drink is half your body weight in ounces. Like if you weigh 200, you're sopose to drink 100 ounces! But, if you do drink 100 ounces becuase you weigh 200 (for example, lol) and but you work out and your body is thirsty, then of course drink more than the 100 ounces :happy: Hope this helps!!!

Okay, so I looked back at your weight and you're about 152 pounds so you should drink atleast 76 ounces unless you know your body needs more!!!
  • alligator1970
    Options
    stupid question but does unsweeated, caffeine free tea count as water. I have alwasy wondered that but was afraid to ask...
  • Italian
    Italian Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    its a liquid so ummm....lol...im not to sure still :)
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    stupid question but does unsweeated, caffeine free tea count as water. I have alwasy wondered that but was afraid to ask...
    At WW, I recall them telling us said you could count one cup of uncaffeinated, unsweetened drink as one cup of water per day but no more than that. Nothing really takes the place of water.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm not convinced we need that much water per day. If I drank half my body weight in ounces I would be drinking 18.75 glasses of water every day (doesn't sound safe). If you google "do I actually need 8 glasses of water a day", there's a lot of info. that will tell you that you don't. Someone I trust, Dr Oz, says we don't need that much water, and we can use thirst as a guide. If you're working out hard and sweating, you will crave water because your body knows you need it. In the morning when you wake up, you'll probably crave water because your body needs it. Fruit and other foods high in water and other beverages without caffeine also count toward your daily fluid intake.

Dr Oz did a study on 2 identical twins- one drank a lot of water, the other wasn't allowed to have any. At the end of the study, the water content of their skin was measured, and there was no difference.

That being said, I always feel good when I make that 8 glasses per day mark, but it's mostly a psychological thing.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I saw somewhere when you do the half your weight in OZ to calculate water intake, you get to take of 20 - 25% of that value for the water you will get from your food. And, you should add water for exercise, and for an arid climate, and for the heat (so you would need more water in the summer than winter).

That said, I never could drink all the water I "calculated" for me. After a week or so at a higher level, my body did balance out and I wasn't running to the bathroom as much as when I first started drinking that much. I can comfortably drink 10 - 12 glasses (8oz) per day.