How often should I run?

Options
I have began running and it is something I actually look forward to doing. The longest distance I have been able to run without stopping is 3.1 miles (and the only reason I stopped was because I was running a 5k) but I was exhausted. I ran 2 miles last night and was wondering how many days of rest should I take or could I just maybe run 1 mile some days and longer other days. I love the cardio burn I get from it and I burn more calories in a shorter time frame than just walking so I would rather burn more in less time. I already do boot camp 3 days a week but it is mostly strength training so I need to get in my cardio. I have heard you can hurt yourself running everyday but really can you if you are only running 3 or less miles?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Until your body becomes accustomed to running taking a day off between runs is advisable (3 days one week, 4 days the next) If you want to keep moving on your days off feel free to walk.

The fact you were exhausted at the end of a 5k tells me your focus, for now anyway, should be strictly building your base. Perhaps, for now, consider doing a run/walk program. Start at 5 min running, 5 min walking for a distance of 2 or 3 miles. Gradually shift it to 10 min running / 1 minute walking and increase your total running volume not more than 10% per week.

In addition to running (I don't know what the focus is on in boot camp) work on your glutes and hips. If you don't already have one get a resistance band for doing the clam and monster walks (there are tons of videos demonstrating this stuff on youtube)

Here's a link to a great video by Dave Scott (one of the all time great triathletes) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJPb4-YOmc&feature=fvsr

Don't rush yourself, most running injuries are a result of trying to do too much, too fast too soon. Listen to your body & have fun!
  • heatherjm27
    Options
    It really depends on your body and how you are training. Trying to do too much too quickly will put you at risk for injury no matter if you are running back to back days or every other day. Going from not running very often to running 5 days a week is a good way to get injured.

My knee doesn't let me run back to back days, so i normally run 3 days a week. Two short runs (4 to 5 miles) and then a long run (8 to 20+ miles) on the weekends. I supplement my running with spinning, swimming, yoga and pilates. I need to do more strength training, but I find it really boring. This has worked for me for the marathon and 3 half marathons I have done. I also run because I enjoy it and the calorie burn is just a bonus.

Listening to your body is the really important thing.
  • Abrasue
    Abrasue Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I run two miles every day, I haven't seen any negative impact on my workout or health.
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Bumpy..bump, bump!
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I run 3 miles 6 days a week sometimes 7. I also throw in a 4 mile run somedays instead of 3. I feel great and sometimes its harder to run the day after I take a day off.
  • ALHicks
    ALHicks Posts: 145
    Options
    I have been doing the couch to 5 K program and I run every day and I don't notice any bad things happening.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I run every day that it isn't raining.
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Aubie,

There's a fantastic approach to running out there, known as the "Galloway" method, which combines walking with running. It takes on a tortoise and the hare look and feel, that by taking walk breaks during your running, you acheive the following:

Recovery during your running, after and before each run, etc.
    Have stuff left in the tank for finishing races, when others may be hitting the wall
    Eventually go much further than you ever thought you would
    Stay motivated to run (for life), not just for a bucket list item, etc.
    Eventually go much faster than you ever thought you could...

When I started taking running seriously enough to do a half marathon, I was lucky to run 10 minute miles; now I'm close to running at 8 minute miles, which for my age, qualifies me for Boston.... And yep, I'm still taking walk breaks. 34Lbs lost later, I'm pretty happy! Google or Bing, Jeff Galloway for more details.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    psh.. you don't hurt yourself from running every day. I run 40-50 miles per week. EVERY DAY :D...

HOWEVER, you do have to work your way up to it... To me it sounds like you are probably running under 10 miles per week. I would take your weekly mileage and increase it by 10% per week... so if you do run 10 miles per week... run 11 miles next week...

When you increase your mileage too much too fast, that is when you become injured!
    I once went from 40 to 70 in one week because i was an idiot, and I paid for it in a big way. Not only my muscles, but I felt like a 100 year old with brittle bones. Luckily I bounced back within a week, but it was eye-opening.

Don't do anyhting too much to fast. Slow and stead improvement!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I run almost every day too - normally 3-20 miles depending on what day, week, etc.

It won't hurt you if you are prepared. Just like anything else. Build slowly. Pretty soon it'll be a normal part of your day.