Wholewheat Pasta. Opinions Please

Options
Joannie30
Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
I'm considering switching to wholemeal rice/pasta but i've heard some people say they don't like it? Is it awful in terms of taste/texture?

Replies

• jodieoh
    jodieoh Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love wholewheat pasta. It's a slightly different texture/taste to normal pasta, but you get used to it. I prefer it now - white pasta doesn't agree with me :-) Brown rice - again, I prefer it now. It's chewier and nuttier in taste than white rice and takes longer to cook.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It is somewhat different, but I rather like it myself.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I find whole wheat pasta tastes, and feels, like cardboard. I like dreamfields low carb pasta better. Or spaghetti squash for my spaghetti and meatballs.
    Whole grain rice is REALLY yummy! And a much healthier choice.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just use to it but I don't really taste/feel the difference. Then again I love pasta in general :heart:
  • 77Maria
    77Maria Posts: 90
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta does take longer to cook but I think once you get used to it ....you will like it. Whole grain rice....I don't know if I would ever go back to white rice. Any way both are good!
  • Joannie30
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Its just because i am such a pasta junkie and i eat LOADS of the stuff! I really need an alternative to the refined carbs though. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't like whole wheat pasta much because it has a grainy texture and a gray tint when cooked. It's okay for some dishes, but I prefer Barilla Plus, Barilla Piccolini or Smart Taste pasta. Barilla Plus is probably the best nutritionally. The other two are basically white pasta with added fiber. But they all cook up white and taste more like the white pasta I grew up with.

I do like whole wheat egg noodles though as I generally serve those with a heartier sauce so the grainy texture is not as noticable.
  • quinto1025
    quinto1025 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Try Quinoa pasta. Delish!
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Make sure you cook your pasta (white or otherwise) correctly and it will alleviate many of the 'ew' problems people complain about:

Cook it in lots of water, a whole pound of pasta should have almost a gallon of SALTED water to swim in. The water should taste like seawater.

As for brands, i'm a pasta snob. I like barilla, any variety. for Whole wheat, i did not like the target market pantry brand. ronzoni's isn't half bad.
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love whole wheat pasta. I think it tastes better... I'm the same with wheat bread and rice, too. It just has more flavor to it.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    For brown rice, I prefer it now but only because I love how my Zoji rice cooker prepares it. I still don't like it prepared on the stovetop, and I'm also not convinced it's nutritionally superior to white rice.

As for whole wheat pasta, it's all I make but I only like the Bionaturae brand. It's the best I've had. I stock up when it's on sale. As a result, in case of zombie apocalypse, we'll live on whole wheat pasta for a few months.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I greatly dislike whole wheat pasta and brown rice. No matter how many times I try it, I can not stand it. Something about the texture just messes with me. So, I just eat the regular stuff, make room for the calories, and watch my portion sizes (just like you have to do with anything else). It has not messed with my weight loss or anything like that. I just refuse to eat something I do not like because it is "healthier".
  • PaulaB42
    PaulaB42 Posts: 1
    Options
    I find the larger the whole wheat pasta the more cardboard like it tastes. I think whole wheat spaghetti is the best tasting while something like ziti is really chewy. It is true though, you do get used to it after a while.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I often have finely shredded white cabbage under my spaghetti sauce - it's not pasta, but I like it. Try some of these suggestions out & see what you think.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't really like most whole wheat pasta. But I find the Barilla Plus is the closest to reg pasta. It is really not bad
  • Joannie30
    Options
    I often have finely shredded white cabbage under my spaghetti sauce - it's not pasta, but I like it. Try some of these suggestions out & see what you think.

Yeah sometimes i have shredded leaks. It's yummy. I love cabbage so may give that a go too. Thanks! :)
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I dont really notice a difference b/w white and brown pasta (I only use Barilla though, I have yet to try a diff brand) and I love it.

Now I prefer whole grain pasta & rice over white any day. ;)
  • Joannie30
    Options

Yeah sometimes i have shredded leaks. It's yummy. I love cabbage so may give that a go too. Thanks! :)

Leeks even lol
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

Leeks even lol

Raw leeks? I meant raw cabbage
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My husband hates it. I like it. For me, if the sauce is good, the pasta is good!