Using HRM in sports?

Options
I'm wondering whether HRM straps can be worn while playing sports and still provide good data. I know that they are meant for running, but would it work while playing hockey? I am particularly concerned that the watch may not be able to read the strap through the equipment - chest protector and heavy gloves. Some of the reviews I've seen say that some of the HRMs have a hard time getting good signals. Anyone have any experience with this?

Replies

• jlburke2
    jlburke2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Good Question! I have no idea just bumping for you :)
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    People will use them for workout DVDs, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'd try (if I already had one) and then compare to MFP or google it and see how it pairs up.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Why do you say they are just for running?

I use mine for any cardio.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Most HRM watches can read to ~6ft away. So even with all the padding you should be fine. Though I have to admit, I haven't tried it. No harm in trying though, right? Give it a shot and let us know...

I'd like to point out that they are intended for use while you are actively exercising... so you should be pausing it when on ice breaks / line chages to get accurate burns.

**EDIT - also, I do use it for P90X, gym classes, and even basketball. So it can be used in other activities. But as someone else pointed out - be careful with impact... it could get expensive
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Its not just for running, its for Cardio, if you get your heart rate up, an HRm is meant for it...

DVD workouts, walks, runs, sports, its all cardio...
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i wear mine for my kickboxing classes, etc.

occasionally, it gets bumped or twisted under my shirt and may not read well (if the connectors are not touching my skin) but thats rare and it works great!

Wear it and see! :)
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Mine stays put through CrossFit and Muay Thai, so yours should stay put through hockey if you have it set up well enough. I'm able to keep my watch in contact with my skin under handwraps and gloves, and my chest band hides under my shirt. It does limit what I can/will do, though... no drills that direct impact to the areas where the equipment is 'cuz it may injure my training partner's hands, feet or knees.

Don't expect it to survive the impacts associated with hockey unless you've got a really high-end model. One whack to the cuff from an Easton and your little experiment is over.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    I dont think he can just try it to see if it works, he wants to know if it works before he buys one and wastes his money. Also the main point of this post is if the watch will be able to transmit to the chest strap computer through all the padding used for hockey.
  • AlSalzman
    Options
    If the question is transmitting through padding, I'd say yes. Mine transmits just fine through the cuff of a 16oz boxing glove and a chest impact protector.
  • jlburke2
    Options
    When I said meant for running, I was considering the design and the GPS aspects where it tracks distances and pace, etc. I understand that it can be used in any cardio activity, which is why I thought I might be able to use one while playing hockey. Problem is, I don't own one, and other than hockey I don't have a lot of use for one, so if it's not going to work under the pads, then I don't want to buy one. Really I was wondering if anyone had used one the way I am thinking to see if it will work. Many of the stores that carry them won't take returns on them. Just trying to avoid wasting $100 or more.
  • jlburke2
    Options
    AlSalzman, that's the answer to the question I had. Do you mind telling me what type you have?
  • AlSalzman
    Options
    Sportline Duo 1010... $70 at the local sporting goods store, nothing fancy.