Cardio indoors?

Options
I can't afford a gym membership so I normally exercise outside (walk/jog). I was doing okay, but the last couple weeks its been so hot outside that I feel so miserable while doing my workout. The Phoenix heat is really getting to me, zapping my energy that I need for my workout, giving me heat headaches, etc.

I want to move my workouts indoors for a month or so until it cools off, or until monsoon gets here later this month and it helps keep the afternoon heat a little more tolerable. I have a Jillian DVD, but I can't imagine doing it every day for the next month or so... looking to do the DVD 2-3 times a week but I need something else for the other couple days. Any ideas of what I can do to get in a good workout for my cardio?

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Find a pool and go swimming. It's cool and it's cardio
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Get you a mini stepper for bout 20-30 $ buckz , you can get great workouts with that, get some dumbells, and a slantboard weight bench. get a stationary bike , a regular bike , excercise balls are great for home use plenty of excercise you can do with it, I have all those things and Im doing great, find out what works for you:flowerforyou:
  • ccleadbyexample
    Options
    I use a lot of the beach body products..gives you a full program (cardio, strength, flexibility, nutrition) and a free wellness coach to help you through it. They have a wide variety of things to do and price ranges.
    If you want more info let me know! I personally do turbo jam and ChaLEAN Extreme! Big fan! Do what you have FUN doing!:happy:
    Casey
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it would count as cardio, but what about a Yoga CD? Some are pretty intense. Biggest Loser has a "Yoga for Weight Loss."
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I can't afford a gym membership so I normally exercise outside (walk/jog). I was doing okay, but the last couple weeks its been so hot outside that I feel so miserable while doing my workout. The Phoenix heat is really getting to me, zapping my energy that I need for my workout, giving me heat headaches, etc.

I want to move my workouts indoors for a month or so until it cools off, or until monsoon gets here later this month and it helps keep the afternoon heat a little more tolerable. I have a Jillian DVD, but I can't imagine doing it every day for the next month or so... looking to do the DVD 2-3 times a week but I need something else for the other couple days. Any ideas of what I can do to get in a good workout for my cardio?

I dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also recently aquired the Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    Maybe you could try something like those? :smile:
  • lvnascar
    lvnascar Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Do you have stairs in your home? If so that is a really good workout. Jumprope is another. If you can't use a jumprope, then just pretend you have one.
  • MeLee
    MeLee Posts: 8
    Options
    I use my stationary bike, weights etc. I put that bike in front of the tv or read a book while using it. If you've got the money get a treadmill. I love that too. It lets you actually walk and jog when you can't go outside.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Wii Active!!! I honestly get such a good workout with it. Of course, if you don't have a Wii system it might not be so cost effective to just go out and buy one. Do you have a workout buddy? Maybe you two could go in on it together or buy one used and then the game. if that is out of your budget, consider getting a heart rate monitor watch (i just got the polar f6...love it!) and wear it when you do any housework...or just turn up the stereo and dance! Try finding one on ebay or craigslist, theat will probably be more cost effective.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    www.exercisetv.tv << I do at least one of their free full length workouts most days.
    www.sparkpeople.com << I do their free 10 minute kickboxing workout when I don't have the energy for a big workout.
  • Danceangl
    Danceangl Posts: 1
    Options
    If walking/jogging is what you tend to do outside, I highly suggest getting a Leslie Sansone DVD or two. Great walking program! I'd suggest The Big Burn which is two miles of walking with a few spurts of "boosted walking" which is light jogging. She has LOTS of great options though! :smile: