C25K

Options
I am starting the C25K program this week. Anyone else doing this? Any advice for a newbee? I am not a runner and honestly have always hated runnning, but I really WANT to love it. I am determined to complete this program and hopefully I will start to enjoy it. When I started my journey, I told myself I would make life long changes, and I feel like this is the right direction for me. Any advice or insight you have to offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Replies

• aisenbart
    aisenbart Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am only on week 2, today will be day 3. I think the biggest thing, and what I've heard from others, is to go at a pace that you are comfortable with. Eventually, you will get the speed, but starting out, think about endurance and running time-wise. So far, i've been doing pretty well with it. We'll see as the weeks progress. Good luck!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I JUST today started a C210k podcast recommended by a gal on here. She has a C25K one on her site as well. If you are interested in checking out what she has, here is the link to her site: http://www.kissmyblackass.org/
  • AFilipovich72
    Options
    I am the same, I HATE to run but I want really bad to love it! I am in week 3 & so far so good. :) My advice is to just stay @ a pace that feels comfortable for you. Good luck!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 8 and yes, it gets easier and actually becomes enjoyable. I generally hate the first 3 minutes or so of running, then I settle in, my breathing eases up and I can go for what seems like forever. Though I am keeping myself to the C25K program because I want to be sure I don't injure myself. Just be sure to stretch before AND after doing it.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I've done the C25k program and my only suggestions are
    1) GO SLOW!
    2) Listen to your body, if it hurts or aches too much, stop!
    3) Sometimes you have to redo a day or week, this is ok, everyone has to!
    4) If you think you're going to stick with it, proper running shoes! Seriously!
    5) Have fun!
  • Thudson78
    Options
    I JUST today started a C210k podcast recommended by a gal on here. She has a C25K one on her site as well. If you are interested in checking out what she has, here is the link to her site: http://www.kissmyblackass.org/

Thanks for the link. It is great, I have just downloaded her podcast.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Go for it - you sound like me - never been a runner or really liked it, but determined to give it a try. I looked it up online, downloaded an app to my phone and started it. I will be starting Week 6 today! I'm amazed at how much I've come and how much farther I can run in just the first 5 weeks. It's not about speed, it's about finishing - my pace won't break any records, but I've had no issues with shin splints or sore knees in following this program, and I always make sure to stretch really well before and after the run.

Have fun with it! You can do it!
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've done the C25k program and my only suggestions are
    1) GO SLOW!
    2) Listen to your body, if it hurts or aches too much, stop!
    3) Sometimes you have to redo a day or week, this is ok, everyone has to!
    4) If you think you're going to stick with it, proper running shoes! Seriously!
    5) Have fun!

^^This. Esspecially #1. When I started I was going too fast and got worn out before I could complete the longer runs at the end of the program. When I slowed down I was able to finish an then work on my speed.
  • Thudson78
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice. Week 1: Day 1 went well. Super glad speed is not an issue because I am definitely not winning any races. It is great to hear from others who have completed or are in the process of completing the program. You all give me courage. Thanks.