To Go Lunch and Protein

Options
I'm really trying to keep my protein between 140 and 170 grams per day. I have been going through my food diary and realize I 1) eat out way to much and 2) I eat fast food for lunch almost everyday. The one place I do like eating out for lunch is Chipotle but it's like 20 minutes away from the office so not exactly a great option. I got a burrito bowl last time I went there with double meat (steak and chicken) and no beans or rice and you've got a 500 calorie meal with 70+ grams of protein and it is awesome. I would really like to start bringing a similar meal to work. I'm not a huge fan of chicken though and steak seems to not do wonderful in the microwave. Does anyone have any ideas of how to cook steak in a way that a little time in the microwave won't hurt, or any other ideas? I don't have an oven at work although its a pretty relaxed place (a bunch of sub contractors sharing a space with no "boss") so I'm sure I could bring in a hot plate or something like that. I just LOVE steak. I'm lifting 3 x per week now and really want to keep my protein up. Additionally, eating that much protein really helps me stay full...did I mention I LOVE steak. Anyways, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Anytime I bring any kind of meat to reheat in the microwave at work I just undercook it when I prep the meal. Then the microwave will finish off the last bit of cooking. If its cooked to where you want it before you microwave it, it'll likely go over/dry out once everything is heated through.

Steak is still not that great after a microwave, but par cooking it then just finishing it does help a bit.
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I always undercook it ... closer to rare/medium rare and then just pop it in the micro for a min (doesn't take long) then it stays moist and you have steak for lunch :) Works the same w/ chicken and pork too. I'm saying go full out raw, but pull it just before it's done.

Cut it into smaller pieces, tupperware, zap it for 1-1.5 minutes, put the top back on it let it set and voila you have a burrito bowl from home. Far less sodium too! :) That's pretty much my lunch every day only I eat more chicken and veggies than beef.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I agree try cooking it super rare and then just finish it in teh micro
  • Luckldy31
    Luckldy31 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I know it said you're not a big fan of chicken... but I just got the Chipotle Chicken Wrap bistro box from Starbucks... 380 calories 26g protein... and it comes with a piece of chocolate!! It was really good and really filling..and had about 100 calories less than the drink I ordered along with it (from this day on, I am NOT going to drink away my calories!!) Anyway, it was quick and easy and healthy...and only about 6 bucks... and there's a starbucks on like every block!!

But if you're looking to bring something... I saw a similar type thing in the grocery store... you can buy them in packs... easy and ready to go... comes in different varieties, didn't remember seeing a steak option...but did have roast beef.
  • bosquebrewer
    bosquebrewer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. That's kind of what I was thinking, cook it rare and go from there. I'll try it out and see how it goes.