Replies

• sassyshook
    sassyshook Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Avocados.........not avacados oops
  • mbetz65
    mbetz65 Posts: 3
    Options
    Try them sliced on a sandwich/wrap, sliced in a green salad, or chopped in a bean salad.
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I agree; I love them on sandwiches. Also, my sister makes a killer avocado pico de gallo with tomatoes, onion, avocado, cilantro and lime juice. Soooo good!
  • oompaloompa21
    oompaloompa21 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a book called the Complete Avocado Cookbook, never tried any of the recipes though, but there are entrees, mains, salads and desserts included. Anything you fancy and I will see if there is a recipe?
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Mix with some boiled baby potatoes (warm or cold), chopped raw spinach and the juice of a lemon. Makes a superb side dish with almost anything.
  • fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Avo Mango salsa

2 Avos diced
    1 mango diced
    1/2 small red onion
    1 small orange diced
    cilantro finely choped
    1/2 lime juiced
    salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refigerate for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
    This is really good over arugala salad leaves with a side of fish or chicken. It is also awesome as a taco topper like with shrimp tacos or it's good on its own.
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree; I love them on sandwiches. Also, my sister makes a killer avocado pico de gallo with tomatoes, onion, avocado, cilantro and lime juice. Soooo good!

just had something like this but also with corn and black beans. so good!
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    One of my fav lunches is 1/2 c 1% cottage cheese with 1/2 avocado, diced and 1 Roma tomato, diced and 1/4c diced ham or Canadian bacon that has been heated in a nonstick skillet. Soooo yummy! I also eat it with an egg in the morning with some spinach and tomato and a light drizzle of olive oil on dry pumpernickel toast. Smash it up and use it as a spread on a wrap, toss it into a pasta dish, spread it on crackers or toast. The only thing they don't really go with are breakfast cereals and sweets!!!
  • bubblicious84
    bubblicious84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Plain with a little salt!! lol But seriously, I've been adding a small slice (about 1 oz) to my green smoothies and it gives it such a creamy texture! I've also had success adding a bit to my strawberry smoothie, too.

Here's a recipe I want to try soon: http://becomingbetty.blogspot.com/2011/09/avocado-chicken-salad.html
  • MeMountainMom
    MeMountainMom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Guacomole YUM
    Avocado smashed
    Lemon juice
    Tomato diced plus juice
    Onion small bite size pieces
    Chili powder
    Salt and pepper

Add all in bowl and use whisk to mix. place pits back in bowl for storage in fridge for 30 minutes serve cold.

For storage pit on top of mixture help stay green longer.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I saw this on a thread recently and its my new favorite snack or breakfast....Avacado Toast! Wheat toast, spread avacado and shake some red hot sauce for a little kick ---- so yummy!

I also like to use it as a mayo substitue in wraps
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I love avocados, and could eat them with all 3 meals in a day (and have) . So, BUMP! :bigsmile:
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    Guacamole? Or maybe a avocado shake... omg YUM!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I put them in/on sandwiches, salads, and tacos. My husband likes to put them (along with spinach, carrots, and tomatoes) in fruit smoothies. I like to actually taste them so I don't "waste" them in smoothies where they get hidden.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    BLTA
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    I saw this on a thread recently and its my new favorite snack or breakfast....Avacado Toast! Wheat toast, spread avacado and shake some red hot sauce for a little kick ---- so yummy!

You mean just mashed avocados as the spread?
  • annikabanannika
    Options
    just sliced, sprinkled with sea salt and lemon juice. I also mash it and use it as a spread on sandwiches in place of butter or mayo
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My favorite (based on a recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen) - totally yummy.

Mix cubes of avocado, chopped cucumber (take out seeds first), crumbled feta, chopped mint and if I have them on hand I add some pistacchios for a little crunch. For dressing mix some olive oil and lime juice. Proportions are whatever looks good to you, but I probably use pretty equal proportions of avocado and cucumber.

My DinL loves this so much she asked me to make it for the rehearsal dinner when she and my son were married - we had a lovely catered meal plus my bowls of avocado/cucumber salad!
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options

You mean just mashed avocados as the spread?

Yes! its soooo good!