P90X

Options
Hi guys doing P90X and kind of disappointed to not see a calorie count for these killer workouts. Anyone know how to add them or of any plans for them to be added

Replies

• focus2bfit
    focus2bfit Posts: 201
    Options
    I avg around 600 cals doing P90X
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Circuit Training.
  • gmaracchini
    Options
    Get a HRM and create your own excercise for each one. Will be most accurate for YOU...everybody's burn will be different using that program!
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been doing P90X for a while. Although it does vary depending on how hard I "bring it" I think you can see from my diary what I average for each work out (keep in mind I'm 5'8 woman 151 lbs) you maybe different. I did each with a heartrate monitor a few times and so I use what I have as a guide. I just put the workouts down as cardio so it will count the calories (it wont could the calories otherwise--or at least I havent figured out a way to do that).
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a HRM use this website.

http://p90xcalories.com/
  • jwelbornscott
    jwelbornscott Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Actually had a response from the MFP tech people after another member got in touch with them regarding the same question. They do not have plans to add approximate calories burned for programs such as p90x, 30 day shred, tae-bo, etc. as of yet. But I received a heart rate monitor for Christmas so when I do these workouts I can log in my own calories burned for each different dvd I do. I log all the p90x under cardio, because even though several of the dvd's are primarily weight training, there's no way to log it in that way.
  • phillips9366
    phillips9366 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I check my heartrate during typical portions of the workout to get an average heartrate. Then I use this link to estimate my calorie burn for each workout.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

I figure it's close enought to accurate for myfitnesspal entries and since the number of calories burned sort of amazes me (400-600) I tend to round the minutes down (ie., don't include the warm up cool down time). Plyo is hands down the best calorie burn for me. Good luck and keep pushing play!

The P90 traditional routine kicked my butt each time I tried to start over the course of about a year. I'd do it 2 or 3 weeks, quit. Do it again, get injured, etc. But, I've now on Week 8 Day 2 of the P90 Lean routine and it's soooo much easier to stick to. Travel with work always disrupted me, but this routine doesn't require the chinup bars and dumbells as frequently and I've been able to make it work well. And, because t's so mellow I get out alot and do another workout (ride a stationary bike, run 30 mins, x country ski) sometimes. Those double workout days get serious results on the weightloss goal. I've lost about 30 lbs in 3.5 months.

13114540.png
  • SteppyRohr
    SteppyRohr Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I also use HRM and create exercise for each P90X workout. Then just log time and calorie burn per my HRM.
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options

If you use the above site, error on the lower side of calories burned. You may feel like you burned a lot more calories than you actually did. I've compared my HRM numbers to the above site and the site overestimated every time. Get a HRM if you can and set the user profile for you. It's still an estimate, but a much closer estimate than any online calculator out there (assuming you use the HRM as directed). You can create your own exercises in your exercise diary and manually enter your calories. Good luck! All of the P90X workouts are great.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options

If you use the above site, error on the lower side of calories burned. You may feel like you burned a lot more calories than you actually did. I've compared my HRM numbers to the above site and the site overestimated every time. Get a HRM if you can and set the user profile for you. It's still an estimate, but a much closer estimate than any online calculator out there (assuming you use the HRM as directed). You can create your own exercises in your exercise diary and manually enter your calories. Good luck! All of the P90X workouts are great.

same here.

HRM is the way to go, if you want to try to get some accuracy.
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    Actually had a response from the MFP tech people after another member got in touch with them regarding the same question. They do not have plans to add approximate calories burned for programs such as p90x, 30 day shred, tae-bo, etc. as of yet. But I received a heart rate monitor for Christmas so when I do these workouts I can log in my own calories burned for each different dvd I do. I log all the p90x under cardio, because even though several of the dvd's are primarily weight training, there's no way to log it in that way.

In your exercise dairy, search for "strength training" in the database under the cardio section. It's in there. It took me a while to find it. Hope this helps.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    another +1 for the HRM

people here were telling me "oh figure 400 calories for P90x" when I got the HRM I was shocked to see I was burning 500-800 calories for each workout.

I was starving when I was figuring 400 calories...I finally started losing weight when I was eating back all my calories.