Is this normal?

Options
I've been doing MFP for the last 35 days. I've lost 5 inches total from my midsection. I feel strong and better in general, but have only lost 4 lbs. Then I'll gain one of two per day and fluctuate depending on the day. I am not at a weight where I am close to maintaining or even at my healthy range. I am currently 156-159 depending on the day, and UGW of 130-135. I feel like for as hard as I am working out and following this calorie plan of 1200, that I should be losing more. Any thoughts? I am used to counting WW points, so this time around with calories, I just feel frustrated and starting to get discouraged.

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    YOu've lost FIVE inches. That's HUGE.

I don't have any idea how tall you are, what sort of exercise, etc, so i can't really tell you anything else.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6. I do intense cardio classes 60 min at a time, 2 days per week. The other days I do 60 min cardio w/ alternating legs and arms days. I take 1 day off.
  • MrsKosal
    Options
    I lost 2.5 in the waist area and another 2.5 in the love handles.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    You have done a great job in just 35 days, I've only lost 12 pounds in 9 months, lol :) I would incorporate heavy weight lifting instead of a couple of your cardio sessions, that will reshape your body and burn more fat than just cardio alone will burn.
  • ktkennelly
    Options
    You have done a great job in just 35 days, I've only lost 12 pounds in 9 months, lol :) I would incorporate heavy weight lifting instead of a couple of your cardio sessions, that will reshape your body and burn more fat than just cardio alone will burn.

This:
    I agree I have started adding more weights to my routine as well as weights to my cardio. And the weight has been coming off about 2lbs a week since I have been REALLY trying to lose my extra weight
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? If not, START.

Your body needs fuel.
  • artadvocate3
    artadvocate3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you lose inches, not pounds. Remember, fat weighs less than muscles. If you are exercising and gaining muscle, that may account for the weight fluctuation. But an awesome job still!
  • micheledemetroff
    micheledemetroff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You should try eating clean, no processed foods, no sugars, white bread, white pasta, white rice, etc. Try to eat foods closest to their natual state..You may not be eating enough calories. Whole wheat, whole grains, fiber, protein. You should be eating six times a day to boost your metabolism. Limit your fruit intake to two times a day...Hope this helps! :tongue:
  • MrsKosal
    Options
    Thank you! I definitely need to try to eat less processed food. I've already switched to whole grains with everything, and only do 2 fruits a day. I get plenty of protein as well. And yes, I do eat back my workout calories to make up for the deficit.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think inches are way more important than pounds. Sometimes I feel really frustrated because in the beginning I lost 10 pounds in 2 months and now its going slow. I have learned to take pictures every month or two and it keeps me motivated even though the pounds aren't coming off. Taking pictures lets you see the difference in the areas that you don't measure also.