Weight loss TV programmes

Options
Before I started to lose weight I would avoid watching any weight loss programmes, The Biggest Loser, Supersize vs Superskinny, anything like that I just wouldn't watch them.

Now I watch pretty much all of them, the only reason I can think of is that I never wanted to hear about all the bad things I was doing to myself.
I also feel that now they help me keep on track, I never want to go back to eating badly everyday like I used to.

Does anyone else do this or am I all alone with my weirdness :embarassed:

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    i LOVE the biggest loser, although not a huge fan of this season. I watch all the weight loss shows.. can't get enough! you are not alone.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've never seen The Biggest Loser, but I record Fat Chef, Too Fat for 15, Our Big Fat Weight Loss Story, and My 600 Pound Life. Definitely helps keep me motivated!
  • enigmatic319
    Options
    It's called denial! And it's worse when you watch those programs & think, " I could do that..", and then don't!

You're here - you don't need anything else to keep yourself accountable. Watch them at the right time - eg, binge time :)
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I watch them all!
  • squirrrell
    Options
    I watch all of them and think I would love to lose 50lbs in an hour too! :)
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch them originally because I didn't want to see obese people being made fun of on TV, and being tortured in the name of entertainment.

Eventually, I gave the Biggest Loser US a go, and I was hooked. I was fascinated by the relationships and the emotional side, and how it deals with their emotion and lifestyle struggles rather than just the physical ones. I love a lot of similar shows now, but I know some people hate all the 'drama' and just watch TBL for the weigh-ins.

Not keen on UK weight loss shows. I prefer the American ones. American shows have all the drama, UK ones are how I pictured them in the first place - a freak show broadcast in the most boring way imaginable.
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch them originally because I didn't want to see obese people being made fun of on TV, and being tortured in the name of entertainment.

Eventually, I gave the Biggest Loser US a go, and I was hooked. I was fascinated by the relationships and the emotional side, and how it deals with their emotion and lifestyle struggles rather than just the physical ones. I love a lot of similar shows now, but I know some people hate all the 'drama' and just watch TBL for the weigh-ins.

Not keen on UK weight loss shows. I prefer the American ones. American shows have all the drama, UK ones are how I pictured them in the first place - a freak show broadcast in the most boring way imaginable.

TBL US is definitely my favorite! season 9 is the best by far at the moment :)
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I watch them all now i'm trying to lose some weight.
    I would never have watched them before though.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I watched them before and after I started to lose weight. It keeps me motivated.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Huh.... you may be on to something. I didn't start watching Biggest Loser until I started really losing weight.

Interesting.... I'm guessing I didn't watch it for the same reason....because I didn't want to hear about all the bad stuff I was doing to myself!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    TBL US is definitely my favorite! season 9 is the best by far at the moment :)
    I had to laugh when I saw this comment; I just finished watching Season 9 for the third time! It was just a great group of people who seemed almost entirely unconcerned with the game.

I like TBL and Heavy (was on A&E and is on Netflix if you haven't seen it). Another good show that's relevant to food and cultural pressures but not specifically about weight loss is Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. I think it's up on Hulu, definitely recommended.
  • jeiroq
    jeiroq Posts: 4
    Options
    I loved Heavy on A&E, it's done by the same people that do Hoarders. It's amazing to see the transformations that take place on that show. I haven't watched TBL really. I watched part of last season, but I wasn't really in the mood for it then, I am now though! To be honest, "I Used to Be Fat" on MTV is pretty decent, it's about kids that are graduating high school and they take the summer between high school and college to get into shape.