shin splints

Options
Pretty sure I have shin splints. Never have before, but I pushed it pretty hard yesterday. How do I make it stop freaking hurting?!

Replies

• ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Gin.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Gin.

will brandy do?
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I heard that unicorn pee helps.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options

Do I inject it into my bones?
  • dmboyer38
    Options
    stretch prior and ice your shins after you work out....
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I find myself yelling loudly every time i have them.

Otherwise a rest day and ice will do.
  • RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Compression socks? Frozen peas, 20 minutes on, 20 off. Get better running shoes? If I ever get shin splints, it's usually because my running shoes need to be replaced. Feel better soon!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Gin.

will brandy do?

I was going to say Jack but Gin or Brandy will work too.

Although then you may end up with Shplin Shints!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I had problems with persistent shin splints until I switched to Vibram Five Fingers 3 years ago. I haven't had a problem since.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    Compression socks? Frozen peas, 20 minutes on, 20 off. Get better running shoes? If I ever get shin splints, it's usually because my running shoes need to be replaced. Feel better soon!

I have Nikes, with amazing insoles, I have NEVER gotten them before... It's just so random.
  • MrsKite
    MrsKite Posts: 35
    Options
    Stretch before and after a workout. Apply ice after a workout. Change your shoes..
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Don't be silly! You just drink it. Unfortunately, you'll have to go to England to get it, it's illegal here (damn PETA).
  • ifucsam
    ifucsam Posts: 40
    Options
    Barefoot/minimalist shoes. You're probably striking in your heels when you should be striking on the balls of your feet. They'll correct the problem almost instantly.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    Barefoot/minimalist shoes. You're probably striking in your heels when you should be striking on the balls of your feet. They'll correct the problem almost instantly.

thanks
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Dealt with this problem a while back...what helped me was getting a foam roller. Do a search on youtube for how to use them. Stretching is key. One stretch for me that helped a LOT was kneeling ON the foam roller...toes pointed straight and legs folded underneath me...allowed me to stretch a little more than if I were sitting flat on the floor. Message me if that doesn't make sense. Ice is also supposed to help...it did for me a little...the stretching was the key.
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Don't be silly! You just drink it. Unfortunately, you'll have to go to England to get it, it's illegal here (damn PETA).

PETA ? People Eating Tasty Animals ! LOL
  • slwilco
    slwilco Posts: 4
    Options
    Stretch, stretch, stretch, more stretch. Before a workout, after a workout, when you get up, when you go to bed, throughout the day. And, ice is a miracle drug. Apply ice within 20 minutes of the workout. Or frozen peas. You get the idea. And, I second the running shoes. I had $40 shoes that I thought were decent. Got some Nike Dual Fusions and it made all the difference in the world. Price of shoes doesn't matter - a good fit does. Also, for what it's worth, the running store advised me, and I have checked this with other runners - Have 2 pairs of shoes, and alternate days. You'll get nearly 100% more wear out of them. Reason for this is that if you give the materials in your shoes a chance to totally dry out (takes 24-48 hours), then the materials will then last longer.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I've suffered shin splints plenty of times in the past. They're horrible to train on once you've got them.

Over the years I've worked out that when I start a running regime, i tend to go full throttle staight away. So now i try to start out with shorter strides until my legs get accustomed. This seems to have worked for me.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    needless to say, wearing heels today was not a good idea
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    needless to say, wearing heels today was not a good idea
    Ouch!
    I have them and they suck balls!! Motrin is your friend!