Protein

Options
Just wanted to share my latest success. I have been weighing between 137-139 for over six month, while continuing to stay below my calories daily and exercising 30-90 minutes 6 times a week. I just couldn't lose any weight. (I'm 5'5" so I could still lose weight and be healthy). Well, I was only eating around 40 grams of protein a day. I have increased to 80-100 grams and I started losing around 2/3 of a pound everyday for the last 4 days. I am down from 139 to 134 this week.

I determined how many grams to eat using the formula,

Your Body Weight * .5 = required grams minimum
Your Body Weight * 1 = required grams maximum (if you are exercising a lot - like training for a marathon)

Right now I only increased to the suggest minimum and I'm seeing success. I am getting my protein from lean foods like, 1% milk, whey protein (MRM from Whloe Foods is very tastey), eggs, lean cuts of chicken and pork, fish, tuna, fat free cheese and fat free cottage cheese. I am still meeting my carbs (50%) and fats (25%) for a 1400 calories diet.

Just wanted to share. What do you think?

Replies

• tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You are doing amazingly well! Thanks for the protein tip! Also i know a lady who heads up a group of greater calorie intake to lose weight. her name is AnewLucia. You may want to either friend her or join that group.
  • NicoleWoodard
    Options
    Great Job! This sounds exactly where I want to be. I just started weight training 2 weeks ago and have already minimized my waist by 4 inches and pounds by 2 less. I take protein in the morning, after lunch, and before I go to bed. I exercise twice a day and do alot of hardcore exercises. You sound like you are on the right path. Please keep us informed of your transformations!
  • NicoleWoodard
    Options
    Alot of egg whites is what also helped me! :)
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what you do! Your body was in "skinny fat" mode! You corrected it properly.
  • dls1957
    dls1957 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3, I started at 150#"s on Jan 16th. I have lost 7-8 #'s but am at a stand still. I also have my protein at 40 grams. I work out everyday, most days twice a day and maintain 1200-1400 calories. I am going to increase my protein and see if it helps. I would love to see 2/3 # a day loss. What does everyone think?
  • kady11
    kady11 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    thank u! very informative. I will try to up my proteins and decrease my carbs to break this pleateu!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Doesn't increasing protein increase water loss?
  • ahoov72
    ahoov72 Posts: 20
    Options
    so I times my body weight by .5 and thats the minimum protein i should eat everyday??
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for that information!! I was stuck at 150-152 for a while and then the other week or two my weight dropped to 144. I'm still at 144 point whatever. I went back and looked at my diary and some days I ate just the minimum protein. I'll be sure to keep better track of my protein for now considering I've upped my workouts and I'm doing more weight stuff through 30 Day Shred (I'm making myself do it every day, I feel I get better results). I can tell I'm building more muscle even though my weight is a bit stagnant and I have lost an inch around my waist.
  • turkeytrotter
    turkeytrotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That's right. That is measured in gram. ie 150 pounds time .5 would be 75 grams of protein
  • shanea98
    shanea98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Protein needs should be calculated using Kg bw. For every day normal activity 0.8-1.0 grams /kg bw. You being 137# or 62.3kg-- your normal would be 50-62.3 grams. For muscle building it can range anywhere from 1.2-1.5 grams/kg. just a tid bit scientific infor
  • notAfan
    notAfan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to share my latest success. I have been weighing between 137-139 for over six month, while continuing to stay below my calories daily and exercising 30-90 minutes 6 times a week. I just couldn't lose any weight. (I'm 5'5" so I could still lose weight and be healthy). Well, I was only eating around 40 grams of protein a day. I have increased to 80-100 grams and I started losing around 2/3 of a pound everyday for the last 4 days. I am down from 139 to 134 this week.

I determined how many grams to eat using the formula,

Your Body Weight * .5 = required grams minimum
    Your Body Weight * 1 = required grams maximum (if you are exercising a lot - like training for a marathon)

Right now I only increased to the suggest minimum and I'm seeing success. I am getting my protein from lean foods like, 1% milk, whey protein (MRM from Whloe Foods is very tastey), eggs, lean cuts of chicken and pork, fish, tuna, fat free cheese and fat free cottage cheese. I am still meeting my carbs (50%) and fats (25%) for a 1400 calories diet.

Just wanted to share. What do you think?

So a person that weighs 222 lbs. should eat a minimum of 111 grams of protein a day to lose weight? Thank you for posting this! Please tell me if I have the formula right.
  • turkeytrotter
    turkeytrotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments and information. I joined the group!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I am having problems meeting my protein. I am doing NROL4W so I need to be sure to get it in...I have been given one suggestion that I think will work best for me which is add protein powder to my greek yogurt along with eating all the other foods suggested in this post.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!