Exercise Machine calories

Options
I went to the gym and worked out on the elliptical machine doing interval training on level 2 for 30 min and the machine said I burned 160 calories. I did not input my weight into the machine. The database on here for elliptical trainer says 30 min would be 412 calories. I do not have a HRM. Is there an easy way to guesstimate the calories. Should I just go with the machine at the gym or maybe an average of the 2?

I also do the resistance machines at the gym I do them in concession with little rest in between. There are ten machines that basically work arms and legs. I do roughly 2 sets of 12 reps on each machine and it takes me approximately a half an hour. I have no idea how many calories this would burn.

Any suggestions in helping me get a close estimate would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Replies

• tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Next time try to enter your age and weight in the machine then you can trust the machine a little more. Mfp usually overestimates my calories burned.
  • reschlager
    Options
    Thanks!
  • JasMcK
    JasMcK Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    With cardio (treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike), I usually subtract 20 pounds or so from my weight (when inputing the numbers). I figure it gives a little more accurate calorie count this way.
  • BarefootBrendan
    Options
    When I do a 30 minute 5km run I burn about 360 calories. A few calories for a lot of effort! The actual calories is probably somewhere in the middle.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I've read that exercise machines actually over-estimate calories burned by 10 or even 20 percent. Take everything with a grain of salt.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM every time I work out. I have found the machines at the gym under shoot what I burn & my home treadmill overshoots. I would definitely take the time to enter your weight, height, age & gender into the machine if it let's you. At least that gets you closer to accuracy. The heavier &/or less fit that you are, the more you're going to burn. I highly recommend getting a HRM. It was definitely worth the investment to me. :)
  • abcmiah
    abcmiah Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use this website to get a ballpark estimate for different exercises.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc