need a good chicken crock pot recipe

Options
I need a good quick chicken recipe for the crock pot. I like spicy food but my wife is more mild. Our kids eat pretty much what we eat. Tired of dumping in a jar of red or bbq sauce, Any ideas that are not tomato based?

Replies

• 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Instead of a jar of BBQ sauce, try a jar (or 2!) of Salsa Verde! The chicken will basically shred itself, and here are some of my fav. things to do with it:

- portion out in ziplocs and freeze, take to work to heat & throw on top of a huge pile of greens (super flavorful, I don't even add dressing!)
    - use the leftover for White Chicken Chili - it's perfect!
    - put it in tacos/burritos/enchiladas
    - mix with beans of your choice, some cheese, avocado and any other fresh veggies and eat over brown rice

I probably make "Salsa Chicken" once a week. Sometimes Verde, sometimes Roja. I love it either way!
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    I do something we call Russian Chicken.

6 or more chicken pieces, breasts, thighs, whatever you like. I do boneless and skinless, you can obviously do bone in too.

1 cup of Russian Salad Dressing
    1/2 Cup Apricot or Peach Preservers.
    1 Envelope of Lipton Onion Soup

Mix all together and pour over your chicken in the crock pot. I sometimes dice/chuck up the chicken before also you can just spoon it over brown rice.

Cook in the crock pot on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6.

My 6 and 4 year old love this, they call it "red chicken" hehe

Not sure of the calories but I am sure you can enter that in easily and figure it out. Good luck!
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    Instead of a jar of BBQ sauce, try a jar (or 2!) of Salsa Verde! The chicken will basically shred itself, and here are some of my fav. things to do with it:

- portion out in ziplocs and freeze, take to work to heat & throw on top of a huge pile of greens (super flavorful, I don't even add dressing!)
    - mix with beans of your choice, some cheese, avocado and any other fresh veggies and eat over brown rice

I probably make "Salsa Chicken" once a week. Sometimes Verde, sometimes Roja. I love it either way!

Haha , he wants Non Tomato based recipes. But that was the first thing of thought of too! We love that!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I put brown rice on the bottom of my crockpot. Layer chix on top. Water. A can of rec'd fat cream of mushroom soup. Some mushrooms. A spinke of sage & black pepper. Always a winner ~ sometimes use pork instead of chix.
  • lkrlawyer
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    A couple of chicken breasts with cream of celery. YUM. Pour of rice.
  • Melalina
    Melalina Posts: 26
    Options

Haha , he wants Non Tomato based recipes. But that was the first thing of thought of too! We love that!

I think Salsa Verde is a green salsa made primarily from green chiles or tomatillos. :smile: I agree, however, that regular tomato-based salsa is what comes to mind for me, too. For tomato-free slow cooker chicken, we like Oriental chicken. Mix 1/2 cup light soy sauce, 1/2 cup honey, and 2 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional) and pour over 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves. Cook on low 4-6 hours. Serves 6, 170 cal/serving, 1.5g fat, 25g carb, 15g protein.
  • aolani
    aolani Posts: 80 Member
    Options

I do this a lot mainly using cream of chicken and will sometimes throw in frozen veggies towards the end of cooking. On my splurge days I will add a couple tablespoons of light cream cheese. Food.com has this one crockpot recipe with chicken, italian seasoning packet, and cream cheese and I forgot the name and what other ingredients are in it. We always pour it over some rice. My hubby loves it.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

This one is my favorite to cook.

I also use jarred alfredo instead of C of C soup. Or just cook chicken plain with some rosemary and garlic and can make tons of stuff with it. I also sprinkle taco seasoning and cook and then make chicken tacos.