i consume INSANE amounts of sugar!!!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I honestly would be lost without fruit. Although, I am working on trying to get my sugar down to 60g a day. It's really sad that 60g would be super low for me. Mostly from fruit and such. I read that you should consume no more than 10% of you calories from any type of sugar. For me that is 44g so 60 is still too high.:grumble:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Oh? This I didn't know. I have been eating Danon Sillohette. I thought it was good for me. :blushing:

I'm so glad I read this thread.

I just pulled up my sugar content in my food chart and wow.
    No wonder I haven't seen losses like I should. I pulled up my sodium content 2 weeks ago, and didnt think about the sugar.

My yogurt is worst than yours. I was having 1, sometimes 2 a day. :blushing: :blushing:
    90 calories which 52 calories are from sugar (13grams with 50 mg of sodium)

I just looked up Danon Silhouette(strawberry)
    40 calories per 100grams.
    Out of that 40 calories 20 calories are from sugar (5grams of sugar) and 50mg of sodium

Info from http://www.silhouetteetmoi.ca/en/products/silhouette.aspx
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Totally disgusted with myself.:explode:

I thought I was reading labels better, but obviously not.

Today's sugars:grumble: 25 green grapes(throughout day) and 1 yogurt (snack)

33 grams of sugar, when MFP's max is 25.:explode: :explode: :explode:

:sad: How many days I had 20-25 grapes and 1-2 yogurts...
    Better to learn now than later.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I have wondered about trying the organic yogurt, but I never think of it when I am getting groceries. I will definetly remember next time I go. Thanks for the info! I s'pose I should start paying more attention to the ingredients than just the nutrition labels

Yes, I read both.............ingredients and the carb count is what I pay attention to................

Anything that says it has partially hydrogenized oil of any kind, modified food starch, corn starch, sugar, chemical sounding names, etc..............does not go in my shopping cart.

Try Fage strained Greek yogurt. It is the best in the world. Just add a few berries and spoon up the yumminess.
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    no offense but there is plenty of research in the other direction that says that fruit sugar is in fact NOT harmful in the way that we think of refined sugars being. I am someone that has lost weight before eating lots of fruit. What made me overweight was the junk food including refined sugars NOT a banana, or strawberries or any other fruit.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    I think what's really important is ADDED sugar intake. Not so much fruit sugar and other natural sugars from foods themselves unless you're diabetic or at risk of diabetes. Added sugar intake should be limited to 40 grams/per day as recommended by the USDA. Now what would reallyyy help is if the FDA would start getting companies to put the amount of added sugar on their labels so we're know what % of food is from naturally occurring sugar and added sugar. They haven't even set a daily intake for added sugar.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    no offense but there is plenty of research in the other direction that says that fruit sugar is in fact NOT harmful in the way that we think of refined sugars being. I am someone that has lost weight before eating lots of fruit. What made me overweight was the junk food including refined sugars NOT a banana, or strawberries or any other fruit.

The human body does NOT know the difference between sucrose, fructose, lactose..............

Sugar is sugar, no matter what the source. Period, point blank.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    I think what's really important is ADDED sugar intake. Not so much fruit sugar and other natural sugars from foods themselves unless you're diabetic or at risk of diabetes. Added sugar intake should be limited to 40 grams/per day as recommended by the USDA. Now what would reallyyy help is if the FDA would start getting companies to put the amount of added sugar on their labels so we're know what % of food is from naturally occurring sugar and added sugar. They haven't even set a daily intake for added sugar.

I don't trust the USDA guidelines, nor the FDA.................

They are government and the reason for the low fat crap of the 70's and 80's as to why food manufacturers feel the need to add sugar to everything, especially things that don't need sugar added, such as mayonnaise, yogurt, etc......................the list goes on and on...................

With as much as 60-70% of Americans either being pre-diabetic (metabolically resistant) or having full blown diabetes, emphasis on consumption of fruit needs to be addressed.

That is why people are trading eating cookies and cake for gorging on fruit and wondering why weight loss is minimal or none at all.........................

People don't get the blood work done and fruit does cause triglycerides and LDL cholesterol to rise when eating too much.................

So, even though fruit has its place in our eating plan - a sugar addiction is just being replaced from processed sugar to a more natural sugar, but in the end, sugar is sugar and does not break the addiction.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options

I don't trust the USDA guidelines, nor the FDA.................

They are government and the reason for the low fat crap of the 70's and 80's as to why food manufacturers feel the need to add sugar to everything, especially things that don't need sugar added, such as mayonnaise, yogurt, etc......................the list goes on and on...................

With as much as 60-70% of Americans either being pre-diabetic (metabolically resistant) or having full blown diabetes, emphasis on consumption of fruit needs to be addressed.

That is why people are trading eating cookies and cake for gorging on fruit and wondering why weight loss is minimal or none at all.........................

People don't get the blood work done and fruit does cause triglycerides and LDL cholesterol to rise when eating too much.................

So, even though fruit has its place in our eating plan - a sugar addiction is just being replaced from processed sugar to a more natural sugar, but in the end, sugar is sugar and does not break the addiction.

I for one am definitely not "gorging" on fruit and nor do I have high blood anything. People can either be smart in choosing the right kinds of fruit to eat (lower sugar containing fruit) and eat fruits in moderation or not. It's never an all or nothing deal. Most people aren't eating any fruit at all and eating high added sugar crap and getting like zero fiber and vitamins, etc... So really suggesting that you eat very little fruit would not be the best advice for most people esp. those who are already sugar "addicted."
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    There's so much debate and conficting information about EVERYthing. One article says you don't have to worry about fruit sugars, the next says you need to worry big time.

I feel almost as guilty about eating a banana as I do a chocolate bar. I'm trying to keep it down to no more than 2 a day.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    There's so much debate and conficting information about EVERYthing. One article says you don't have to worry about fruit sugars, the next says you need to worry big time.

I feel almost as guilty about eating a banana as I do a chocolate bar. I'm trying to keep it down to no more than 2 a day.

That's science, propaganda, and media for you dear :drinker:. I for one wouldn't worry over it if your blood sugar is good. But yeah stick to one banana a day first and slowly try to switch things up. I always eat a variety of fruits every day. Trying not to eat the same kind of fruit everyday. People didn't need to know this crap in the past and they were healthier than us (not counting the diseases and stuff) sooo...
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Wow.... lots of good info here!

Thanks to all....... especially the Lioness! :flowerforyou:
  • mxhelili
    mxhelili Posts: 33
    Options
    you all have been really helpful. i actually kept my sugar below 40g yesterday! i just followed the mypyramid.org guidelines for my nutrition needs. it only recommended 1.5 servings of fruit, and 2.5 of vegetables. so yes, fruit sugars DO count. I did have .25 slice of apple pie, but it didn't do much damage. slowly stepping away from my sweet cravings. also, gum is a good way into fooling myself i'm having something sweet after a meal.
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    After many years of watching my food intake, I no longer scrutinize my sugar intake, as I always average about 17 g of sugar per day. That said, I usually eat no more than 2 fruits per week, as I know that my body loves to hang on to calories derived from carbs. Although I do not eat to consitute a "low carb" diet, I usually only consumle 60-70 g of carbs per day, 25-35 of which are fiber.

I love, love LOVE bananas... but they are a treat about 3 times a year. I stick to kiwi's, and blueberries if i want fruit.

But, unless you must cur your sugar out for medical reasons, I never advocate nixing anything out of your diet.... it really is all about moderation!
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    After many years of watching my food intake, I no longer scrutinize my sugar intake, as I always average about 17 g of sugar per day. That said, I usually eat no more than 2 fruits per week, as I know that my body loves to hang on to calories derived from carbs. Although I do not eat to consitute a "low carb" diet, I usually only consumle 60-70 g of carbs per day, 25-35 of which are fiber.

I love, love LOVE bananas... but they are a treat about 3 times a year. I stick to kiwi's, and blueberries if i want fruit.

But, unless you must cur your sugar out for medical reasons, I never advocate nixing anything out of your diet.... it really is all about moderation!

You pretty much eat a controlled carb plan, which a lot of people do, just don't want to call it that.......

2-3 servings of fruit a week is what my endocrinologist told me too. That is someone with or without diabetes...............

She told me that if someone has an addiction to sugar and switches from eating sugar from processed foods to either fruit sugar or artificial sweetners, that your body holds on to that addiction and it is a matter of time before you succumb to those cravings and go back to the real thing or eat exorborant amounts of artificial sweetners and /or fruit because people think that is healthier.......

I eat a LOT of berries and melons, occasionally I eat kiwi............I love mangoes and bananas, just can't have much due to the natural sugar content.