I'm appaulled...did you see Dr. Oz today?

Options
2»

Replies

• QuietStatic
    Options
    I am a member of that website. I have had disordered eating most of my life ranging from restriction and being underweight to binging and being slightly overweight. The website in question is not like a typical "pro-ana" website. You can't give out tips, you cant promote anything unhealthy. You can go and talk and vent. Many discussions actually have nothing to do with eating disorders. There is a forum just focusing on recovery. Many members are in some form of therapy, so this actually isn't replacing therapy. While it is odd having someone owning and running a website for eating disorders who does not have one himself, he has kept a place open for all people who have an eating disorder. The last thing he does is promote eating disorders. He has many resources available for people who are suicidal as well, which can not be said for any other "pro-ana" website I have ever seen.

I think people's prejudices and misunderstandings of eating disorders makes them think we are not entitled to a web forum. However, how is that any different that a forum for those who have depression, or any other medical condition? Sometimes, you just need a group of people in the same situation to commiserate with. We are not a delusional group who thinks what were are doing is cool or good for us. We know it is not healthy, which is why I think you will find many members here as well. To help keep us on track of a healthier lifestyle.

And just so you all know, I see way more "Tips and tricks" and such promoted and discussed here than I do on pretty thin. Which I find kind of ironic, but I try to just ignore it.

Bravo!! You said it perfectly girlie! :flowerforyou: People need to quit runnin their mouths about things they're totally uninformed about. :mad: Bet none of y'all batt an eye at AA or NA support groups...
  • Spacemann
    Spacemann Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also a member of this site. It's true the website has many more visitors now due to this one sided show many of them flock to check out this 'horrific' site. The truth about PT is that it does help....many people seek out help for other conditions not just ED's...i for example have finally managed to pluck up the courage to go see my local gp about my 'other conditions' however if i didn't have the online support i've recived from some of the other members on PT i most certainly wouldn't go. This community doesn't show anorexia to be the best way to get thin, it shows how many people it effects....that it's not just you. I've felt very alone for almost my entire life but having people (even faceless people on the internet) tell you that they're there for you wether you recover or not...comfort you in a way somebody without ana or mia can. PT is a haven where anorexics won't be judged....so stop flocking to the site in masses expecting us to 'see the error of our ways'. We know what we're doing is socially unacceptable but it in many cases it's addictive, a habit if you will.

On the note of the ignorant fool who called the website manager a 'tool' grow up and get some insight. He's not a tool, when he first took over PT he had no clue about eating disorders but he learned from our perspective what it's like...he doesn't condone it he tries to find new ways of encouraging us to get help....'unity bracelets' for example so that when we another wearing the bracelet we know we're not alone...and no before anyone says it...it's NOT a sign that we're proud otherwise we'd prace around wearing t-shirts saying 'Hi my name is (insert name here) and i have an ED :)' it's sublte way of expressing the fact that something this harsh unites us and that if we stay strong we can get better.
    Alright i've had enough. Rant over.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Being a recovered anorexic, I never once cared about how anyone else looked. For me it was how I felt about myself and the fact that I was in control of something that I could control and no one else could. Looking at obsessively skinny people just makes me feel sorry for them. I never thought I looked that way anyway, until I saw pics of me AFTER I recovered. They don't see themselves as thin, they think they look good. It is an illness.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I am a member of that website. I have had disordered eating most of my life ranging from restriction and being underweight to binging and being slightly overweight. The website in question is not like a typical "pro-ana" website. You can't give out tips, you cant promote anything unhealthy. You can go and talk and vent. Many discussions actually have nothing to do with eating disorders. There is a forum just focusing on recovery. Many members are in some form of therapy, so this actually isn't replacing therapy. While it is odd having someone owning and running a website for eating disorders who does not have one himself, he has kept a place open for all people who have an eating disorder. The last thing he does is promote eating disorders. He has many resources available for people who are suicidal as well, which can not be said for any other "pro-ana" website I have ever seen.

I think people's prejudices and misunderstandings of eating disorders makes them think we are not entitled to a web forum. However, how is that any different that a forum for those who have depression, or any other medical condition? Sometimes, you just need a group of people in the same situation to commiserate with. We are not a delusional group who thinks what were are doing is cool or good for us. We know it is not healthy, which is why I think you will find many members here as well. To help keep us on track of a healthier lifestyle.

And just so you all know, I see way more "Tips and tricks" and such promoted and discussed here than I do on pretty thin. Which I find kind of ironic, but I try to just ignore it.

Bravo!! You said it perfectly girlie! :flowerforyou: People need to quit runnin their mouths about things they're totally uninformed about. :mad: Bet none of y'all batt an eye at AA or NA support groups...

AA and NA are extremely well-known, eating disorder support groups are not talked about as much so the way they operate is not common knowledge. Everyone knows what AA and NA do, most have never heard of PT until today unless they were already a member or had friends who are members. You can't fault people for not knowing what isn't talked about. Obviously there ARE groups out there that encourage each other and give tips for being 'more' disordered or whatever, how are people watching the Dr. Oz show supposed to know that that's not what this group is about, unless someone tells them? I hate that the group has been bashed and that the people feel attacked now by a mob of angry lurkers, but it's not exactly the lurkers' fault, it's the fault of the person that put the group on blast on TV in the first place.
    I didn't see the show but if this guy is promoting an eating disorder he is a tool. I hate how daytime shows even give these people air time.
    I am also a member of this site. It's true the website has many more visitors now due to this one sided show many of them flock to check out this 'horrific' site. The truth about PT is that it does help....many people seek out help for other conditions not just ED's...i for example have finally managed to pluck up the courage to go see my local gp about my 'other conditions' however if i didn't have the online support i've recived from some of the other members on PT i most certainly wouldn't go. This community doesn't show anorexia to be the best way to get thin, it shows how many people it effects....that it's not just you. I've felt very alone for almost my entire life but having people (even faceless people on the internet) tell you that they're there for you wether you recover or not...comfort you in a way somebody without ana or mia can. PT is a haven where anorexics won't be judged....so stop flocking to the site in masses expecting us to 'see the error of our ways'. We know what we're doing is socially unacceptable but it in many cases it's addictive, a habit if you will.

On the note of the ignorant fool who called the website manager a 'tool' grow up and get some insight. He's not a tool, when he first took over PT he had no clue about eating disorders but he learned from our perspective what it's like...he doesn't condone it he tries to find new ways of encouraging us to get help....'unity bracelets' for example so that when we another wearing the bracelet we know we're not alone...and no before anyone says it...it's NOT a sign that we're proud otherwise we'd prace around wearing t-shirts saying 'Hi my name is (insert name here) and i have an ED :)' it's sublte way of expressing the fact that something this harsh unites us and that if we stay strong we can get better.
    Alright i've had enough. Rant over.

If you'll notice, she said *if* he promotes it then he's a tool. She admitted she hadn't seen the show. How does that make her an ignorant fool? She just wanted to join the discussion, she didn't state anything as an absolute fact.

Don't be mad at people that are concerned for YOU and your fellow group members, be mad at the person that misrepresented your group. (Dr. Oz)
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    That is scary, and very sad. There are many people out there that will "die" for a chance to be thin.
  • EmilyMae12
    EmilyMae12 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If I offended anybody who uses this site, I apologize.
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    yall will shoot me down for this but I had a major eating disorder prior to having my son and was a member on whats called a pro ana site, i actually think it helped me get better because I first realised I was sick, I hadnt really solidly decided that until I realised how weird how I behaved was.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I'm appalled every time I watch Dr. Oz.
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    I'm speaking from personal experience with eating disorders!! How the EFF does this guy think it is okay to do this to people suffering from a mental disorder and why isn't anyone doing anything to shut him down? Wow, I'm so annoyed!
  • EmilyMae12
    EmilyMae12 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No shooting you down from me! I understand going on these sites, and they may help some, but when I was looking for support from them all I saw were little girls asking "How do you purge?" "How should I starve" "I just purged for the first time, and I am so happy! What do I do now." It was heartbreaking.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    yall will shoot me down for this but I had a major eating disorder prior to having my son and was a member on whats called a pro ana site, i actually think it helped me get better because I first realised I was sick, I hadnt really solidly decided that until I realised how weird how I behaved was.

No one should talk down to you for having had an eating disorder, whether it's in the past or the present you need support not to be cut down.
  • JourneyToTheOldMe
    JourneyToTheOldMe Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Bravo!! Couldn't have said it better myself. God bless xx
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    today's show is about "Women dying to be thin". There is a guy on there that is basically promoting anorexia with his website. He says he's giving people a place to go and talk about their weight and self image and not be judged by others. I think he is doing more harm than good. WTF? Seriously? I agree with the guest, this guy is signing peoples death certificates. Anorexic or not, these people need professional help from a doctor not some guy on the Internet promoting anorexia with extremely unhealthy pics. What do you guys think?.....

While I do agree that people suffering for ED's need professional help, one could say the same for a lot of people on MFP. Orthorexia is just as real and any other ED. Sometimes it's nice to just have a place you can go to hear from other people's experiences. Not to swap tips to be unhealthy, but to learn, to vent, to understand. I think MFP forums are great for empathizing and growing.
  • Spacemann
    Spacemann Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you'll notice, she said *if* he promotes it then he's a tool. She admitted she hadn't seen the show. How does that make her an ignorant fool? She just wanted to join the discussion, she didn't state anything as an absolute fact.

Don't be mad at people that are concerned for YOU and your fellow group members, be mad at the person that misrepresented your group. (Dr. Oz)
    [/quote]

Oh i am mad at him for misrepresented 'my kind'. In the case of 'the ignorant fool' it doesn't matter if she said 'if' or not she was implying that he *could* be a tool, it's like calling a charity worker a tool for christ's sake. (he took over for somebody and he doesn't get paid for the work he does)
    Nobody is stating fact on here it's all opinions, including mine. I said get insight didn't i? she like many others were misinformed as 1 she didn't watch the so called 'eye opening' show and 2 she didn't get real facts on diseases like these. Look through the facts, talk to 'my kind' before you come onto a website like this and start speaking as though you know it all. I mean honestly it actually offends us to think that we can so easily fall into stereotyping.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

Oh i am mad at him for misrepresented 'my kind'. In the case of 'the ignorant fool' it doesn't matter if she said 'if' or not she was implying that he *could* be a tool, it's like calling a charity worker a tool for christ's sake. (he took over for somebody and he doesn't get paid for the work he does)
    Nobody is stating fact on here it's all opinions, including mine. I said get insight didn't i? she like many others were misinformed as 1 she didn't watch the so called 'eye opening' show and 2 she didn't get real facts on diseases like these. Look through the facts, talk to 'my kind' before you come onto a website like this and start speaking as though you know it all. I mean honestly it actually offends us to think that we can so easily fall into stereotyping.

Who ever said 'your kind'? I was referring to the group of members on the site. Bottom line is you're not allowed to make personal attacks on this site and that includes calling someone an 'ignorant fool'. You can educate people without calling names. The whole situation of the site and the person running it was misrepresented, she commented on that misrepresentation b/c she didn't know differently. You can let her know it was not accurate without being disrespectful.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    While at the gym, I thought of something else I wanted to add to my original post. Many people on PT are not your typical "stereotype" of a girl/guy with an eating disorder. We all also recognize the "seasons" of an eating disorder website. The weeks leading up to prom, summer vacation, back to school. The website is swarmed with people basically asking how to "catch" an eating disorder. They are typically directed to much healthier websites, such as this one, and are directed to also speak with a trusted adult/friend/doctor depending on their age. Additionally, many people I know through the site are like myself: In their mid 20's (Or older), in a committed relationship, with a degree or two (in my case a bachelors and a masters) and are holding down a full time job and generally being a productive member of society. We are not vain individuals sitting around discussing the next best way to drop 20 pounds. In reality, losing weight, binging, purging, whatever involvement we have in our respective eating disorder/disordered eating is just a symptom of our inner anxiety/turmoil/etc. It is not the cause of our eating disorder, though when someone is younger, they may say that is the reason because that is what is easiest to articulate. Its always at least partnered with something else. The site owner of PT allows us a place to explore the other reasons, and to connect with others with this same issue. I know I especially felt isolated in the real world and when in treatment, as my eating disorder wasn't even considered an eating disorder, and wont be until the new DSM-IV comes out (or maybe that has already happened....I haven't stayed up to date on the DSM-IV as there were/are several things in there that I do not consider a mental illness, such as transgender, but that's an entirely different argument). Anyway, I hope people can continue an articulate, considerate discussion on this topic, rather than attack each other.
  • QuietStatic
    Options

AA and NA are extremely well-known, eating disorder support groups are not talked about as much so the way they operate is not common knowledge. Everyone knows what AA and NA do, most have never heard of PT until today unless they were already a member or had friends who are members. You can't fault people for not knowing what isn't talked about. Obviously there ARE groups out there that encourage each other and give tips for being 'more' disordered or whatever, how are people watching the Dr. Oz show supposed to know that that's not what this group is about, unless someone tells them? I hate that the group has been bashed and that the people feel attacked now by a mob of angry lurkers, but it's not exactly the lurkers' fault, it's the fault of the person that put the group on blast on TV in the first place.

I agree that AA and NA are well known. People are informed on those things, and I feel confident in saying at least most peoples' opinions reflect pretty accurately on what their all about. I guess my big gripe is that while ED support groups and how they work are a big gray area for most people they insist on forming negatively fuled opinions anyway. That's their right I spose, but it makes them look like giant jerks. I'm just saying people need to KNOW something about what their TALKING about.
  • drownedAshes
    Options
    Anyone who says James, the owner of prettythin, is bad...is terribly wrong. Pretty Thin is far from pro-ana, And dr.Oz is terrible for not giving James a chance to show that prettythin is a home for people with eating disorders. This site should NEVER be shut down. This site has saved peoples lives. It gives girls and guys a place to talk about thier disorders. There is nothing wrong with that. He doesn't make a profit on the site because there are no ad's, if anything he has giveaways of money and he sells ana bracelets. It's pretty hard to get any tips on the site because everyone with a disorder down there wants no one else to have it and no ones aloud to give out tips. If you want to talk bad about this site, then log on and look at it. If you can show me where any pro-ana stuff is or any ad's then I will listen to your argument. But, if your just listening to that prick Dr. Oz and just basing your opinion's off that and not even looking at the site, then you have no right to talk bad about the show because you don't even know the half of it.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Wow, this topic seems to have generated a lot of fire. I'm british so we don't get Dr Oz but I've heard a lot about him from american friends and people on here. I don't really know what to say to be honest. But what I will say to the people getting angry about being stereotyped simply for having an eating disorder, you're not alone. Everyone gets stereotyped for something. Be it age, race, hair colour, height, weight it doesn't matter. It happens to everyone. Don't listen to other people. You are aware of your issues and are trying to do something about it. That's hard enough without listening and taking in what other people are saying. Just concentrate on yourself.

There are prejudices and stigmatisms with any kind of disorder; alcohol, drugs, food, depression. The fact is, people don't understand things and don't always have the intelligence or the desire to. I get the annoyance over ignorant comments but you just have to brush it off. As much as you may want to you simply can't make everyone aware about everything. Some people just don't want to know. There's no point getting angry about it. Save your energy for more important things. Just my opinion.
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the pro-anorexic site "skinnygossip.com"? Their latest feature: Kate Upton is apparently "fat":

http://www.skinnygossip.com/kate-upton-is-well-marbled/

:laugh: