Ok I'm a Diabetic...Can I do this..Anyone else Diabetic here

Options
I have been a diabetic for a long time but have been I denial on it. Now I want to do something to help ME.
Plz add me. Maybe we can be Diabetic buddy helpers,lol!

Replies

• harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in July of 2010. My A1C was 9.4. It was a total shock. It is what prompted me to get healthy and turn my life around. That and high blood pressure, elevated heart rate, high cholesterol and high sodium. my last A1C was 5.7 and I have been off all meds ( I was on 4 ) for over a year. You can take your health problems by the neck and shakem!!!! Not everyone is able to get off diabetic meds due to alot of health issues but, you can certainly improve your overall health, it can be done. Just make a comitment and STICK TO IT. Consistency is your greatest ally. Let me know if you need any help at all.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    just sent you a friend request. I've been a borderline diabetic for years and had gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies so when my last A1C was an 11 point something horrible I got to add yet another pill to my day. I have however taken that as a wake up call and now eat more carefully even on cheat days though I have been able to keep my blood sugar in line; I'd like to credit some weight loss and the exercise but who knows could be good drugs.
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am "borderline", have had normal A1C but tend to run high fasting sugars. Need to get this weight off so that I don't develop full blown diabetes.

I am a Zone Diet follower, and have found that making smarter carb choices by following the Zone Diet has really helped me to keep my blood sugars in control.

I just started a Zone Diet group, feel free to join!
  • joaniepol
    Options
    I'm diabetic too, and just started this program about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I have an appointment tomorrow morning with a nutrition counselor who I was referred to by my diabetes doctor. I'm planning to ask what the goals should be for daily allowances of carbs, protein, etc. I want to know if there are special recommendations for diabetics using this program. Will post on this thread about it by tomorrow night. Joan
  • grammsb1
    grammsb1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    very interesting would like to know what dr has to say, also am a dieabetic
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic but when I told a health professional what I was eating and how much he said; "Oh, you are on the diabetic diet".
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Are you type 1 or 2? insulin or oral meds?

You will be amazed at how mfp will help.

I'm a type 2 oral med. Feel free to friend me if you like, I'd be more than happy to help out where I can.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I just found out yesterday that I am diabetic type 2 as well so it would also be good to meet others who have the same. Very shocked when I found out.

We can do this hun, I am looking into trying the plant vegan diet as I have heard lots about it from other mfp friends.
  • hwcoxjr
    hwcoxjr Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi everyone. This site is great isn't it. I especailly love the iphone and ipad integration. Being able to scan the barcode from an item and find it in the database, is way cool. I seem to be wandering that fence between pre and full blown type 2. My fasting sugars are ok. It's my a1c numbers that are not so good. So I guess I have been subconsiously cheating before my physical's. Now I have a good excuse to start using that gym membership I got a couple of years ago.:laugh:

Has anyone talked to the folks here about some customizations for those of us with diabetes? Adding in a place for tracking sugar numbers at various times during the day like before and after meals, and bedtime. Also, I've heard that unlike calories which are an all day kind of cumulative number to track, carbs are more meal to meal based since the effect of them is so much quicker. Being able to set goals on a meal by meal basis would be nice too wouldn't it?
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic. Got off mess after losing 170 lbs. My A1C now is under 6 consistently. I eat high protien, low carb. I set my macros at 40/30/30 or 30/35/35 for carbs/fat/protein. Sugar comes with carbs so I've let MFP figure out that number based on my calorie total and %. It's basically what my nutritionist recommended. My carbs and sugar come from dairy and veggies mostly. Although as you start to watch your food logs you'll be surprised to see what has sugar and how much. Friend me if you like. But I warn you, I will look at your diary and tell you if I think you could have made better choices and expect you do to the same! And ifnyounask, I will answer even if it's nit what you want to hear. :noway:
  • joaniepol
    Options
    Hi, again. I promised to post after seeing the 'diabetes education' person...not sure of her training, but focus was on how to eat. She loved the program. We were able to open my food diary on her computer and she printed out a week's worth of meals and looked at them. Btw, she thought 'myfitnesspal' was very user friendly and she said she was going to spend some time getting more familiar with it.

What she came up with was that I was doing ok overall through most days with the right amount of carbs (she was in agreement with the goals that the program defaults to regarding carbs, protein and fat), but said that I was often having too many carbs in a meal. For e.g., I might have cereal, milk and a fruit at breakfast, and she suggested that I have the fruit at least an hour later (a snack), which would prevent high spikes in blood sugar, keeping the blood sugar more even throughout the day. That seemed like an easy change. She said this way of eating helps prevent complications from diabetes. It seems easy enough to do that...same thing with lunch and dinner...try to keep the carbs at about 45-50 per meal and have the others as part of snacks. I'm supposed to test my blood sugar at various meals, first before and then 2 hours after, to see what is happening to my sugars, the goal being no more than a 40 point difference. So, that is the recommendation for me, which might be individualized...I guess everyone should have their own healthcare team, but I'm glad to share what I learned. I weight about 200 pounds and my A1C has been very good, under 6. However, I have neuropathy in my feet already, which reminds me of what else might come if I am not careful. So I'm going to try to follow this advice.