Night worker - please view my diary

Options
I need some help MFP people ........ Can you please look at my diary and tell me why I am feeling hungry all the time? I preplan my main meals so fill out my diary the day before. I also work mostly nights so when it says breakfast it usually means I have eaten it at 3am and then I have lunch when I wake up normally at about midday - I find this keeps my eating regulated for when I work days.

What do other night workers do out of curiosity?

Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Replies

• kel_c
    kel_c Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I work nights only (10pm-7am), but I like to keep my eating schedule normal. I eat breakfast when I come home at 7, lunch at 10, sleep at 12, wake up at 8 and eat supper. then I go to work at 10. I usually have my healthy snacks on my work lunch break at 2am. It seems to work for me.
  • hbaby08
    hbaby08 Posts: 75
    Options
    what ur eating looks pretty good. i work 3p-11p. I try to eat breakfast (usually its not until 11 or 12 in the day), then i found that if i didnt eat anything until lunch @ 6, I'd be starving around 4. So what i try to do is get in a quick snack around 2 and that carries me through. I consider my lunch my dinner also, because unless i am up super early i only fit 2 meals in the day- but i do fill my calories. (approx 1450).

My advice would be to take one of those fruits or other small items out of your meal and make it an inbetween snack. Or shift your eating schedule by an hour. Or keep busy while your awake or sleep- either way you'll forget you are hungry until its time to eat anyway.
  • johanaaah
    johanaaah Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'd try to cut artificial sugars and get your sugars from fruit. Increase your fiber and multigrain intakes. your diary is pretty good, just keep at it. good luck!!
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    I don't work nights anymore but I use to and I found it challenging to make good choices (especially when you are sleepy and those hospital vending machine scream my name sometimes!!). Your diary looks great! :)
  • tophat1
    tophat1 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'd decrease the carbs to around 80 and up the protein to over 100. Hunger will disappear!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I work 3 diff shifts and my eating is always messed up.....i've learned to just do the best I can do. I'm usually forcing myself to eat cause i'm either too tired to even think about food or just busy. Especially on nightshift...i just can't get into the food thingy at all. I eat mostly fruits and veggies. Sometimes raw, sometimes cooked. Whatever way I can get them down lol I try to keep a variety of fruits and veggies in the refridgerator so I can just grab a snack whenever. I take a large variety of fruits and veggies to work also, in the hope that something will appeal to me, come break time. Good luck...
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I work nights too. I am steadily losing. My diary is open, feel free to have a look if you need ideas.