Oops - it got deleted.

Options
What I was saying, I am not better then anyone else for eating how I do. All I know is that I am slowly losing weight and its working for me. If it doesnt work for you, then fine.

Stop judging everyone for not doing what you think they should be.

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Looks like they deleted your thread yet still left up the ones about the people wanting to slap those that don't meet the 1200 calories. I see the site is being run fairly. Figures.

I agree with your post. People do need to back off.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Mine got deleted for swearing apparently.

But either way, people are bullies and need to back off and focus on their own journey, and realise that they are not the best in the world at weight loss
  • Kmih
    Kmih Posts: 7
    Options
    I honestly think it is different for everyone. I gained weight due to 2 pregnancies in 19 months. I have successfully lost weight in the past by cutting calories and kept it off for years until I got pregnant.

I now have lost 10kg again (the leftover pregnancy weight) and am confident I can keep it off again. Those who say you can't keep weight off/maintain your weight if you eat less than 1200 calories/day really do not know what they are talking about. I have done it....
  • Kmih
    Kmih Posts: 7
    Options
    Also, we should be able to have an opinion without our posts being deleted, or having rude comments made to us.

Are we not allowed to speak up?
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Also, we should be able to have an opinion without our posts being deleted, or having rude comments made to us.

I agree with you; I got on here because of something I was looking at earlier today and following and the whole thing was deleted. I am thinking of leaving MFP, I don't see why everyone has to make a big deal about something they don't agree with. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other topics to choose from.
  • shellebelle87
    Options
    We can say what we want as long as its work.family friendly, so no swearing and such.

Meanwhile posters on here have made me feel like I have an ED and and pretty much going to die because i eat less then 1200 a day, but thats ok?

I wasnt saying that eating less then 1200 is better, I was just saying that we're not doing it wrong because we dont eat as much.

I never claimed to be a dieting superstar so no one needs to act like I did
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I agree. Don't let them get to you! <hugs>
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Don't feel you have done anything wrong. And don't let them make you feel bad. You do not have an ED and should not feel like you do. I guess it is perfectly fine for them to bash us but if we speak up then our voice is taken away. Seems fair I guess in their world.

And apparently they can threaten physical violence against us and that thread doesn't get deleted so feel free to reciprocate to them. :-) That is sarcasm. Don't sink to their level.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible to eat under 1200 if the food being eaten is whole food and lots of fruits and lots of veggies. Said plan does not happen to work for me, but if it works for other people then I say great! everyone is different.
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It really depends how long you do it for. If you do it for months..your metabolism will slow down and your maintenance calories will become a much lower number than it would have been had you eaten more throughout your journey. I understand that you're frustrated, and there is a lot of negativity on here...but I do think there might have been some exaggerating going on. I doubt anyone ever told you that you should be eating 2500 calories. All people are suggesting is that you eat enough to fuel your body. For me that number is about 1500. Some days I eat 1200-1300 when I'm not active at all (no work or exercise), other days I eat 1200 + my exercise calories..and then a couple times I week I eat closer to maintenance so it all averages out to around 1500 a day. Being only 6 weeks in, it might be a little too early to be so resistant to help. I ate at 1200 calories and lost great for my first 6 weeks (go figure), and then I got stuck for almost a month. The scale didn't move again until I started eating more. You will hear that story 100 000 times on here. All I'm saying is, to each their own, but if you can eat a little more, still lose at the same rate, AND maintain your metabolism so you're not stuck still eating 1200 even at maintenance, why wouldn't you?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    This is most likely why your other thread was edited, or whatever happened to it:(Rule # 1)

MyFitnessPal Site-wide Community Guidelines

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

RULE #6
    6. No Intentionally Hurtful Topics

Topics which are started with the intent to belittle others, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. This includes stalking a poster through the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, or spreading gossip or rumors.

Maybe you could read the guidelines here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • onyx1972
    onyx1972 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different... this is the HARDEST lesson I have had to accept and try to learn and I still have a hard time every day... I applaud anyone for being able to achieve their goals whichever way they can as long as they do it in a healthy way. Good Luck to all.....
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I am still on the fence on this one but for the most part it doesn't matter what anyone tells you. It will be your own biofeedback that predicts your results and frankly numbers are meaningless to large degree.

I can understand if your a very short person or a person who does not exercise and just walks for fitness and eats 1200 calories. When you get into more fitness related workouts like lifting weights a little more fuel is needed but how much more? Nobody really knows this answer!

I go by how I feel and perform, some days more tired, some more fatiguing and some fantastic! But for the most part I rarely stuff in more food in me than what my system can handle. I plan out my meals in a certain way that I let myself get hungry just so I can eat my 2000 calories if I don't I won't eat for hours on end and barely meet 1400 calories but yet I perform fine and am a male who trains hard 3-5 days a week.

Who came up with this 1200 number anyways? There are people in society that barely get 800 calories a day and they do fine but again it comes down to what you want to do and achieve. I know people who instead of getting bypass just ate 800 calories day, did not exercise except for walking and did an amazing job at losing 100 plus pounds.

Its all a matter of what you believe in really.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options

I agree with you; I got on here because of something I was looking at earlier today and following and the whole thing was deleted. I am thinking of leaving MFP, I don't see why everyone has to make a big deal about something they don't agree with. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other topics to choose from.

I don't see why someone would need to leave MFP because they don't like the way the forums are run. I use this site primarily to just count my calories and track my excercise.

The social part of it is just a nice little extra that I could easily live with or without.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Now I love to eat and who doesn't but when I love to eat I love to eat junk... I rather skip the junk and high caloric foods just to make my caloric goal just for the sake of it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I don't know what threads you were involved in to prompt such a rant, but most of the responses I've seen to those eating less than 1200 is out of concern for that person's health. Some people can be jerks, but this is the Internet (and hell, some people don't even need the Internet to act like @$$holes), it's going to happen. It's just a matter of sorting out the ones that mean well and ignore the trolls.

The 1200 number comes from an average. You're not going to keel over from starvation after a couple of months eating less than 1200 calories per day, but it is possible (and, given that it's an average (mean, actually, so no, it's not "half above and half below," particularly when a number of people require twice that or more), quite likely) that you're actually eating too few calories, especially if you're not even hitting MFP's target for you, even though you don't feel hungry. Eating too few calories over a long period of time does two things - 1. you're likely depriving yourself of the nutrients you need at the levels you need, and 2. it slows down your metabolism in an effort to conserve the reserves you have (it's a survival mechanism, since eating too little tells your body that you're in a time of famine and a significant amount of food is not guaranteed).

Additionally, eating a very low-calorie amount, coupled with a fear of eating more and gaining weight, are red flags of an eating disorder. Obviously, more context is needed that the Internet peanut gallery can't see (things like behaviors and whatnot), but these things can still send up red flags of "hey, this person might want take a step back and make sure they're being healthy about this."

So, generally people speak up out of concern for you. Whether you take into consideration or completely ignore what they say is entirely up to you.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options

I don't see why someone would need to leave MFP because they don't like the way the forums are run. I use this site primarily to just count my calories and track my excercise.

The social part of it is just a nice little extra that I could easily live with or without
  • shellebelle87
    Options
    I'm not resistant to help, not at all. I know there wil be a time when I plateu and crack it because the scale hasnt moved.. I was angry because there are dozens of threads that bash those who dont eat their required intake every day, so i made my rebuttal post but forgot to tone down zee potty mouth :grumble: and I get bashed for my beliefs. Once I feel comfortable with exercise again i will eat more, but for now I simply cannot make 1200. i eat a lot of veges and lean meats, filling food but not high in cals.

My biggest peeve here was that I could stuff my face with crap and make 1200, or I can eat good healthy food and get between 7-900, but i dont see how what I am doing is so wrong? And how everyone else is so perfect and right?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I believe when a topic is deleted, that is an indication that the discussion should stop.

No matter the case, whatever any is doing with their body they will find out the lasting effects eventually. No one can tell you what to do, but you will always have to answer to your choices whether it is overeating or undereating or what have you.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    This is in response to the previous thread

Here's the thing. Eating regularly under 1200 calories isn't healthy. Do you want people to lie and tell you untruths to make you feel better?

The threads where people are asking for help is because they are regurly eating under 1200 and it isn't working. So someone coming in and giving their six weeks of experience isn't going to help them.

Starve yourself I really don't care. You're the one who will suffer in the end. But I'll say something if you're going to encourage others to engage in that behavior.

People can probably stand to be less blunt (there one thread where people were flat out rude and scared the OP off) and not immeaditly start making fun of asking a new to them question. But people will give the advice they feel is healthiest.

If your doctor puts you on less than 1200 calorie diet why would you be coming here for advice and not going back to the idiot who put you on it.

As to whether you have an ED only you can answer that. But as to 'only we know our bodies' no we don't. If we did we wouldn't have got so big. By continuously eating under 1200 calories you're damaging your metabolism. That's your choice but if you ask for help don't get upset when it's offered.
This discussion has been closed.